Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

Newer | Latest | Older

Monday, 28 March 2005
bandwidth details
Topic: News
Is there any other way of finding out my hourly bandwidth use since the details view does not show it?
Can I infer by my general usage if visitors have been blocked out by excessive usage?
Can I tell from my details on visitors what time they were there? I understand the IP address but do not see the time of visit.
The bandwidth hourly use to give me that information, so I wonder if there is a way to get that information from other areas of my site information.
Thank you.

Posted by biz2/metaphysician at 7:46 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 24 March 2005
Angelfire Maintenance - TONIGHT
After midnight tonight, the Angelfire team will be conducting some hardware maintenance. During this time, some members websites (for both free and paid members) will be unavailable. We do not expect the maintenance to last more than 20-30 minutes for any specific member, though it will probably last less than that.

I apologize for any inconvenience. It's all on the way to making Angelfire better.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 4:54 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Reduced Prices for Domains
The Angelfire Team today released an update to "Lycos Domains" (domains.lycos.com) which lowers the prices on all standalone domains from $34.95 per year to $19.95, with discounts for mult-year purchases. This change does not affect Angelfire members who get their domain free with their bundle package, but users that have purchased domains separately will see the discount the next time they renew.

If you aren't familiar with them, Domain Names purchased through Lycos are completely compatible with Tripod & Angelfire hosting and support the transparent "domain assignment" (which you need for search engines, etc.) If you already have a domain, you can purchase another to use as a subdirectory of your site. (Lycos Domains also offers WebMail and some other featuress.)

If anyone sees any problems with this new feature, please let me know in this thread and I'll make sure they get looked into.

JP

(Yeah, if you read both clubs then this message sounds awfully familiar. Maybe I should call it the Angelpodcirclegearfire Team, but that doesn't flow as nicely off the tongue. We're all one happy family.)

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 4:50 PM EST | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 15 March 2005
Redesign Update
The Angelfire team today released a number of updates to the new look-and-feel which was put out a couple of weeks ago.

Specifically:

1. We have updated the webshell layout in the new design in response to some user feedback.

2. The new directory feature has been updated with some new data and a new backend which should allow us to keep it updated more frequently, though we have not yet added a self-categorization feature.

3. Many small UI tweaks, including removing the Lycos headers from the top of most pages. (Nothing subtle implied by that, we just think the page looks better this way. We'll probably add some Lycos logos somewhere else eventually.)

If you see any issues with any of these updates, please respond in this thread to let us know.

There will probably be one more major Angelfire update this week, maybe two. We're hoping to release a performance update for Blogs (the same one as on Tripod, if anyone uses blogs in both places) on Angelfire within the next couple of weeks.

JP

Posted by ma3/jpranevich at 5:45 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 9 March 2005
bandwidth details for neon level description
It seems as if the hourly bandwidth usage graph from the bandwidth detail section is gone. Any plans to bring that back? Or do I have to upgrade to get that information again?

Posted by biz2/metaphysician at 2:15 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 5 March 2005
Plans for site chat rooms??
Mood:  quizzical
I was wondering with the changes, if there were plans to offer chat room features for the higher end paid memberships?
I have used chat rooms on other servers, have been hoping that you begin to offer them and would upgrade gladly to have such a feature on my website.
Thank you.

Posted by biz2/metaphysician at 9:09 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post
Where is the angelfire directory for its members' blogs?
Where is the angelfire directory for its members' blogs?
Is it incorporated into the member site directory?
Thank you.

Posted by biz2/metaphysician at 8:13 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 17 February 2005
jrp34
AF Redesign - Update

The first update to the new AF site was completed today with a second scheduled for next week. If you see any problems or have any general comments or concerns, please comment in this thread.

Fixes:

1. Major performance tuning for the 'anon' frontdoor. (Logged out)
2. Performance improvements for the logged-in frontdoor. Disk space calculations are now done in a separate frame to speed loading.
3. Photo album fixes for occasional 500 errors.
4. Posting to community blogs now displays the correct username.
5. Webshell editing "preview" mode now displays pages correctly. (Images were broken.)
6. Various link fixes, popups ads where they don't belong, typos, etc.

Still outstanding is that old versions of the webshell (basic and advanced editors) would assume that 'angelfire.lycos.com' is a valid domain for member pages. This has not been true for years, but the new update removes legacy compatibility. We will be updating member files over the weekend (and into early next week, if necessary) that were subject to this bug to make them point to the correct places again.

We are also aware of blogs performance issues, especially on Tripod, and are working to resolve them as soon as possible.

JP

Posted by ma3/jpranevich at 3:27 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 14 February 2005
AF Member URLs
With the new version of Angelfire released today, really old compatibility URLs will now cease to function for member pages. Very few people should be using them, but there may be some.

If you have any URLs of the form:

https://www.angelfire.lycos.com/*state*/*membername*

Those links will now be broken. "www.angelfire.lycos.com" would previously redirect if it detected that you were trying to access a member page. (Up to about three years ago, we supported those URLs for members. Since then, it just redirected to the correct location.)

Please make sure that you always use "www.angelfire.com" as your member page address.

https://www.angelfire.com/*state*/*membername*

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 4:27 PM EST | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Angelfire's New Look
The Angelfire team launched our new look today and we're all very proud of it. Take some time to browse around, we think that you might like it. The big changes are the removal of the dated "Angelfire Zones", to be replaced by a new Angelfire site directory. (That's still being polished, but there are tons of good sites in there already.) The old homepage is completely gone, replaced by one that gives you quick access to common "My Account" info like subscription plan, disk quota, etc.

The team is still polishing the release. The big known issue right now is that login will appear to be slow if you have many, many files. That is being fixed, probably by tomorrow. In the interim, you can go to https://www.angelfire.com/auth/login for a different login box that takes you directly to WebShell. That should help for the time being.

This new look and feel is still being polished and there are additional changes planned soon. If you see any problems, please respond in this thread and I will make sure they get raised. Please feel free to also post your suggestions (or compliments! I hope!) here also.

Posted by ma3/jpranevich at 1:55 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (12) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 9 January 2005
Uploading
Mood:  don't ask
Now Playing: tryuing to upload
I want to upload filew to my homepage, but how? By ftp? (What is the server name?) By http? By both?

Regards,
johncharlesverbeek@zonnet.nl
https://www.angelfire.com/jazz/jcverbeek

Posted by jazz/jcverbeek at 3:34 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 3 January 2005
Come check out my webpage
Mood:  cool
>Hi everyone, i started here in angelfire a few months ago and had a really good webpage going on. Now i am reconstructing it with a new look; i invite you all to check out my page witch is https://www.angelfire.com/yt3/bulboteamrules (its in spanish because i am mexican) the page isnt quite finished yet but i hope i finish by the end of this month.

You can also see the redirect in http://www.bulboteam.cjb.net.

Posted by yt3/bulboteamrules at 2:13 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 21 October 2004
Help!! Website not working
Mood:  sad
Please help!! I am trying to post pics of my newborn daughter and she is only 2 days old. . . .I have the Argon service and angelfire customer support will not respond to me for almost a day now. I pay for this every month, and I tried to update my credit card and it locked me out and will not accept any more cards, even though they are good and work at other places. Please help with suggestions or anything else you may be able to do. It looks like angelfire has downgraded me to a free account and is going to start deleting files to get down to 20 MB!!! HELP please email me at iflyabeech@aol.com with any suggestions iflyabeech@aol.com www.saritaandkel.com www.angelfire.com/tx/pilot69

Posted by tx/pilot69 at 3:59 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 19 October 2004
Angelfire Webmail - New Feature - BETA
The Angelfire team is getting ready to release a new WebMail feature for all members with the "Argon" plan or better. (That is, all plans that come with a domain name.) Although not ready to be announced to the general public yet, it was decided to announce the feature to the Club members first, to get user feedback and to get some more real users on the feature. (This feature is also available to Tripod members with domains and anyone who purchased a stand-alone domain from Lycos Domains. You might even notice that I just cut-n-pasted this whole spiel from the Tripod Club because I am lazy.)

The new feature is a web interface to email, which includes sending outgoing mail which neither Angelfire nor Tripod has supported up to this point. It is similar to, but different than, "Lycos Mail" (mail.lycos.com). It is useful when accessing your email from a computer that is not your own. It can use the same mailbox as one you have configured with Microsoft Outlook or another email program, so you should be able to move between the this and a separate mail program without losing any messages.

If you are interested in trying the beta, you can go to http://webmail.domains.lycos.com. You will see a login and password window. You should login with the email account you want to check, and its password, and *NOT* your Tripod account name. (For example, if you own mycooldomain.com and your email address is 'fred@mycooldomain.com', that would be your login name. The password is the same password you would enter in your email program to read the account.)

If you want to create additional email addresses for playing with, you can do so via your normal "My Account" page. (On the domain tab, when you select into your domain.) At some point in the recent past, we silently increased the number of email addresses most users could have and how much disk space, so you probably should not have trouble creating email addresses to test with, if you don't want to use your own.

The system is not exactly how it will be when completed and there still may be bugs. Please report any problems you see in this thread and the Angelfire team will look into it.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 7:15 PM EDT | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 19 September 2004
HEY ANGELFIRE! LET US DELIGATE MX FILES IN DNS!
Mood:  irritated
Now Playing: Do you want to offer your visitors email service?
Right now if you want to offer email service to your sites visitors, FORGET IT! We all need to band together and request Angelfire allow modification of our MX records, which we pay for. (Dont let em get by on you get a "free" domain name, you pay for the package) My website is becoming more and more advanced and Angelfire is restricting growth. I guesse I could move, but what a pain. If you are wondering what I am talking about, check out http://www.every1.net and sign up to offer your visitors email service from your website and see the response you get from them.

Posted by ex/d197fo at 1:19 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 19 August 2004
Angelfire Blogs Update
Angelfire released a major update to blogs this week, catching up to the version used on Tripod.

Major new features:

1. Features previously available to paid members (community blogs, buddy pages, etc.) are now open to free. Free members are still limited to the number of blogs that they can build.
2. Post by email ("moblogging") is now available. You have to turn on it on the configuration page before you can use the feature.
3. Club-like ("open community") blogs can now be created that anyone can log into and post. All features currently in the Angelfire club have moved across.
4. The control panel interface has been simplified.
5. Additional templates have been created.
6. You can now post-date your blog entries to appear later. (Paid only?)
7. Overall performance should be improved.
8. Other things which I forget to mention.

If you see any bugs in the new release or have any problems, please reply in this thread so they can be investigated.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 4:15 PM EDT | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 27 July 2004
Angelfire Executable File Blocks
The Angelfire Team has today released a software update to the site which disables the downloading of executable files directly through Angelfire free accounts. (That is, for example, .exe files and other files which can be run directly by your computer.) This is primarily to help protect Angelfire visitors from viruses, and also to prevent the spread of some AIM worms which link to Angelfire free accounts.

Members which need to provide .exe files for their visitors (such as downloadable software) are advised to either upgrade to an Angelfire premium plan or compress their applications using WinZip or a similar tool first. (Please don't just rename your file to get around the blocks, that sort of thing gets nailed by the automated abuse checks and your account may be removed.)

In addition to this change, some other fixes have also been incorporated into the site. The "MIME Types" list for what file extensions map to what types of files has been updated to include a number of new standard extensions and types. (It is possible that some existing files have changed types; if any existing sites have plugins which break, please respond to this post to let us know.)

And finally, the fix for Netscape 7.0 users which caused some Angelfire free sites to not appear has been resolved. (This was determined to be a bug in some versions of Netscape 7 which specific style sheet properties were used.)

If you see any problems with the site (especially with MIME type issues), please feel free to respond in this thread and I'll make sure your concerns get passed along to the right folks.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 2:13 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (19) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 15 June 2004

Today, the Angelfire team has released an update to the "similar sites" sidebar which should resolve a large number of the technical issues that users and visitors are reporting.

1. Browsers such as Slimbrowser, Juno, SBC Yahoo! and other third party browsers should once again be able to visit Angelfire member pages without a problem. There will be a brief "flicker" of the sidebar opening, but then the proper page should be displayed.
2. Browser-embedded chat software like "Excite Super Chat" should once again allow members to visit and chat about Angelfire sites.
3. A big where the sidebar would not show properly on blog member pages has been fixed.
4. Other various smaller bug have also been fixed.

If you see any problem with this release or if there are any other browsers which are unable to visit Angelfire, please respond in this thread with more information.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 4:01 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (7) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 14 June 2004
mike
Mood:  don't ask
i recently bought a web address but then found out i had to use them as my web server, this is not practical and i cant cancel the order
they suggest transfering the dns server settings to them so i can use the new name
does anybody know if this is possible, it looks to me that it might not be

Posted by folk/treefrogs at 10:47 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (7) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 8 June 2004
Angelfire Updates
Angelfire pushed out some new code updates today to fix a number of bugs.

1. Fix for blogs published to the root directory. Previously, there was a problem where the blog would overridden by a default HTML page whenever you log into your site.
2. Image gallery reorganization. (May not be user-visible.)
3. Other misc fixes that I don't know about.

Please let us know if anyone notices any problems as a result of these changes. Post problems, comments, etc. in this thread.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 4:37 PM EDT | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older