Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Monday, 14 June 2004
mike
Mood:  don't ask
Topic: News
i recently bought a web address but then found out i had to use them as my web server, this is not practical and i cant cancel the order
they suggest transfering the dns server settings to them so i can use the new name
does anybody know if this is possible, it looks to me that it might not be

Posted by folk/treefrogs at 10:47 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (7) | Permalink | Share This Post

Monday, 14 June 2004 - 12:21 PM EDT

Name: jrp34

In the domain management page (either through Lycos Domains - domains.lycos.com - or your "My Account" page), you can set up DNS for your domain name in any way you like, or delegate it elsewhere entirely if you run your own servers.

JP

Monday, 14 June 2004 - 11:17 PM EDT

Name: dalleh

who are them? whoever paid for the domain owns it. did you buy it with a package ( host a page, and free domain ) or just a domain.

Tuesday, 15 June 2004 - 5:32 AM EDT

Name: mike
Home Page: http://angelfire.lycos.com/folk/treefrogs

got the new address via getdotted.com
'they' are freeola/getdotted
the deal is free domain hosting/unlimited web space and e-mail
however to upload you need to use the freeola internet provider service

Tuesday, 15 June 2004 - 5:37 AM EDT

Home Page: http://angelfire.lycos.com/folk/treefrogs

by 'your domain' do you mean my present angelfire site or the new name i have bought?
basically i need to transfer the present angelfire site to my new name

Tuesday, 15 June 2004 - 8:40 AM EDT

Name: jrp34

If you purchased your domain name through Angelfire, did you do it through the same user account that you edit your page from? In that case, the present Angelfire site should be "transferred" to the new name automatically. (Actually, both the new name and the old name will work.) In some cases, you will have to specify your Angelfire member name in the Lycos Domains management page for "domain assignment" to make the transition complete.

JP

Tuesday, 15 June 2004 - 10:44 AM EDT

i did not purchase the new name through angelfire. I purchased it through getdotted.com

Tuesday, 15 June 2004 - 9:13 PM EDT

Name: dalleh

LOL that what freeola means, in this case you can use the domain and their hosting service, but you don't have control on the domain, you don't own it, because they paid for it. you cannot move the domain to another server, for at least one year.

View Latest Entries