Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Monday, 28 March 2005
bandwidth details
Topic: News
Is there any other way of finding out my hourly bandwidth use since the details view does not show it?
Can I infer by my general usage if visitors have been blocked out by excessive usage?
Can I tell from my details on visitors what time they were there? I understand the IP address but do not see the time of visit.
The bandwidth hourly use to give me that information, so I wonder if there is a way to get that information from other areas of my site information.
Thank you.

Posted by biz2/metaphysician at 7:46 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post

Monday, 28 March 2005 - 9:12 AM EST

Name: cw

That would take an incredible amount of work and calculations if you have many visitors and page views and still would not be very accurate.

You should be able to determine a very rough estimate of your daily visitor 'comfort zone' (not actual use but how much BW might be used daily if all visitors visit only your heaviest page). Determine which page is your heaviest in file weight, multiply by the number of page views for your site that day and compare it to whatever your average daily BW allotment might be (ex.- 5 GB divided by 30 days).

If you're really worried about data transfer then your time might be better spent making your pages as light as possible, being selective about what media files you use on your site and optimizing them to be as small as possible. A good place to start might be the images on your reflexology page which I think probably is among your heaviest at 400+ KB. You should have no problem reducing that page's image file sizes at least 50-75%. The benefit to that is that you'll instantly increase the capacity for potential page views by 200-300%.

This is a gross oversimplification of data transfer that's not meant to be accurate but a guestimate of potential page view capacity. hope that helps anyway

Tuesday, 29 March 2005 - 9:04 AM EST

Name: biz2/metaphysician

Thank you.
I really need better pics as when I cut down the size ataI lose a fair amount of detail.
I was also looking at that hourly to give me a gross idea of visitor traffic timing.

Tuesday, 29 March 2005 - 11:09 AM EST

Name: cw
Home Page: http://cwoolse.tripod.com/test/reflexology.html

Take a look at these 4 pics made from your originals and all now in the 10-20KB range. They'll knock about 300KB off your page weight if used to replace your originals. Copy and use them if you like them.

Saturday, 2 April 2005 - 5:06 PM EST

Name: biz2/metaphysician

Thank you.

View Latest Entries