Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

Newer | Latest | Older

Thursday, 29 March 2007
question on problem
How do I guide the visitors from www.angelfire.com/wy2/sy/blog
to my actually changed site at

www.angelfire.com/wy2/sy (WITHOUT THE WORD BLOG)

Posted by wy2/sy at 9:08 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 25 March 2007
Site Question
Hi, I was a member of this site back in '04 and I just rejoined. Things have apparently changed a bit because I can't figure a few things out.

Like how do I find the members' list/Directory? The Directory on the main page takes you only to member sites and not to the blogs. I'm not sure how clear I'm being, but is this option still around? A list of the most recently updated blogs?

p.s. I did use a link on my profile that said "View Other Blogs" which I seem to remember used to take me to the members' list/blog thingie but all that happens when I click it is that it takes me back to my Blog Builder page.

Thanks ^___^

Posted by indie/wivesandknives at 9:09 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Sunday, 25 March 2007 9:10 PM EDT
How do I leave the date out of a specific post?
Topic: CGI scripts
Hi,

I would like to make a page for my blog to link to that I can either leave out the date or always have the current date. When I make a post there is no option to leave out the date for a specific post entry.

In addition I would also want this page to have the sidebar and top similar to an entry post that will automatically update with the new links I put on the sidebar as its updated.

How do I make a template so I can do this?

If I can't do this, how do I keep the date out of a specific post entry?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

- Pete

Posted by athomedad at 2:37 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post
Upgrade your hosting and get paid
I wasn't sure what topic this should go under so I put it under news. The reason I am making this post is because I have seen several postings throughout the years with people complaining about Angelfire Ads, one of which I just posted to today. I am hoping what I have to say may shed some light on the benefits of upgrading your hosting account to a paid service.

As stated in my previous post Angelfire as a business has to make money somehow when providing a free service. They do this through ad placement which generates revenue through either placement itself, ad clicks, or annoying us enough to upgrade to a paid account.

So why upgrade? Not only do you get rid of the intrusive ads on your site but if you upgrade to a hosting account with a domain name you open yourself to a whole plethora of opportunities.

You can place small ads of your own on your site that match the content of your sites topic and begin making money of your own. Lets say for example your site is about photography. You could place ads on your site for digital cameras or some other product that people interested in photography would be interested in.

Your ads don't have to be intrusive at all. In fact you can blend them right into your page to compliment your pages content adding more value to your page or site.

There are several places you can find merchants who will pay you for sales referred from an ad on your site or even a click from an ad. Below is a list of places you can sign up at to begin making money from ads on your site.

Google ad sense
Commission Junction
Kolimbo
Share A Sale
LinkShare
http://realdealjobs.myld.net/

That is just a few to get you started. These programs are free to join but you get paid for every sale, accept for Google ad sense in which case you get paid for every click and the Google ad sense ads automatically match the content of the page it is placed on.

Think about this. Angelfire's most costly hosting package is $14.95 a month. In most cases you'll get that back with just one or two sales, maybe even a few click throughs on Google ad sense. It isn't that hard.

I would also like to point out that your site does not have to be a sales oriented site. Just place ads your visitors will "thank you for" or appreciate. Ads that match and compliment the topic of your site.

I hope this will shed some light on Angelfire's ad placement on free hosting accounts and how upgrading will do you more good than harm. If you really love what your site is about, and are serious about your site then maybe it's time to stop complaining about the ads on a free hosting account, upgrade to paid, and try to make a few extra bucks in the process.

I have been a paid Angelfire member for over two years so trust me when I say you'll be much happier as an upgraded account holder than you will dealing with all of those Angelfire ads on a free hosting account.

Posted by Daymon at 11:20 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 24 March 2007
Spyware?
Mood:  not sure
I posted a little while back with a problem of not being able to see the advertising on my website (Angelfire free account). I wanted to be aware of what kind of ads were being put on the site. I still can't see the ads (haven't figured that out yet), but that's not the problem this time.

A friend sent me a couple of screen shots of my page so I could see what the page looks like with the ads. Tonight, I took the URL from the top of the ad pop-up that was showing on my page in the screenshot (it was http://www.ad.yieldmanager.com) and I typed it into Google to see what I could find out about it. (I couldn't tell from the ad itself what the ad was for.)

Anyhow, much to my surprise, most entries on Google seem to indicate that this ad.yieldmanager.com is some kind of Spyware. Lots of people trying to get rid of it, lots of ads about how to get rid of it or be protected from it. A lot of people talking about how it slows page loading down so much (which might explain why it's so hard for me to get my own page to load). I was kind of alarmed by this as I don't want to be used to spread Spyware.

So my question is: Is this ad.yieldmanager.com some kind of Spyware? And is Angelfire knowingly letting ads with Spyware be placed on free account Angelfire pages? Any clarification would be appreciated.

I like working on my site, and would hate to have to shut it down, but if ads being placed on the page pose some kind of infection threat to other computers, it would be the only option.

-AD
https://www.angelfire.com/planet/zerofret/

Posted by planet/zerofret at 2:23 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (15) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 16 March 2007
Happy Friday - A Gift from Angelfire
Are you a paid user? Take a look at your "My Account" page. Effective tonight, Angelfire has increased the disk and bandwidth quotas for all paid members.

The webshell "safe mode" bug was tickled by this change and the team is working to fix it. If you use the basic editor, you'd probably noticed that it looks "wrong". The disk space and bandwith work took priority and I am expecting to see a fix for the cosmetic issue sometime next week.

Post here if you see any problems. I hope you enjoy this increase, it's been a long time coming and a lot of work to get to this point.

Posted by ma3/jpranevich at 11:32 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 14 March 2007
Angelfire Backend Update
The Angelfire Team today made some major backend updates to pretty much every part of Angelfire: FTP, Webshell, etc. None of these changes are user-visible, but they are in anticipation of turning on higher quotas for premium users (probably) next week.

If anyone sees any odd issues on the site, please respond in this thread and we'll investigate.

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 5:46 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (10) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 9 March 2007
03/09/2007 - Angelfire Photo Albums Captcha Implementation
Starting at about 3PM EST today (March 9th, 2007), we'll be implementing new CAPTCHA functionality on Angelfire Photo Albums.

What does that mean for you? Less spam comments in your albums, on your photos.

The CAPTCHA feature will require "real" people to enter a verification code, before submitting their comments. This should cut down on a vast majority of the automated spam bots leaving comments on your photo albums.

We're hoping this added security will help reduce the amount of unsavry, and unrelated comments that get left on your blog, by automated machines, and result in a more user-friendly experience on your photo albums.

If this release goes well, we'll be adding this functionality to other areas of Angelfire (and eventually Tripod) as well, over the next few months.

If you run into any issues with your Photo Album after the release, please Open a New Support Ticket to let us know about your issues. Please be sure to include as much detail as possible, to help us track down the bug.

Mike - Customer Service; all things Lycos.

Posted by Mike J. at 3:12 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Friday, 9 March 2007 3:16 PM EST
Sunday, 4 March 2007
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SIRN8TIVE1
Mood:  a-ok
Now Playing: MY SHIT
Topic: News
PROMITING MY NEW N8TIVE HIP HOP RAP SITE CHECK IT OUT

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SIRN8TIVE1

Posted by hiphop3/n8tive0 at 10:12 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 1 March 2007

Thank you to everybody at Angelfire.
LisaLK

Posted by fl5/lisalk00 at 11:49 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 28 February 2007
Publishing problem with Frontpage
Topic: FrontPage
Please help. When I try to publish, Frontpage tells me "a web site does not exist at ....". I was just publishing a week ago. Could it be because I moved my web folder around on the computer? I disabled and enabled frontpage with no luck. Deleted the service.lck, reinstalled frontpage, saved another copy of web site and tried that one. I have three sites and they all show the same thing. What am I doing wrong? Anyone have some ideas?
thanks,
kurt

Posted by falcon2/naganofamily2 at 3:44 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 27 February 2007
Where Are the Ads?
I created a web page using Angelfire's free option. I'm under the impression that such sites/pages have advertising put onto them. But I've seen no ads on my page ever since building it. Why is that?

My page

Also, how do you get your page into the Angelfire Member's directory?

Any help would be appreciated.

AD

https://www.angelfire.com/planet/zerofret/
(in case above link doesn't work)

Posted by planet/zerofret at 7:01 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (16) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 26 February 2007
inappropriate ads
Topic: Image Questions
Hi

I have created a website using the free option of angelfire.com. But for the last few days the ads are so inappropriate

Any help in this issue

Thanks
Iman

Posted by planet/abraar at 7:17 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 25 February 2007
In need of working code
Mood:  crushed out
Topic: HTML Questions
I've just started my website today and everything is coming along nicely. Except, for some reason everytime I try to add text to the middle, it pushes my left aligned text further down. I don't like it at all? Any help with the code would be appreciated.

-P

Posted by planet/pandorademun at 5:28 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 13 February 2007

Hi cw,
it seems the randombg and randomquotes are lost in my welcome page? It doesn't work and how it happened? I didn't change anything on that page for long time and only changed the updated date.
Thanks in advance

Posted by fl5/lisalk00 at 6:53 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (20) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 7 February 2007

Hi Angelfire Administration,
Happy Chinese New Year to You All!
My question is-i made a main folder called /ChineseNY2007.html(7k) including sub Folders (index.html). But when i tried to publish, it didn't work! i have to pullout all the sub folders!!! Please look at this and help me with writing out the code.
Thank you in advance.

Posted by fl5/lisalk00 at 12:13 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Wednesday, 7 February 2007 12:19 AM EST
Friday, 26 January 2007

Does anybody have any idea what the code might be for a typing text on a web page? Or know of a generator that could generate the code? Thanks Mouse

Posted by oh4/iamchrismouse at 12:26 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 24 January 2007
HTML GEAR Guestbooks
Mood:  cool
My HTML GEAR Guestbook has been down for over 24 hours now. Am also unable to access the Gear Manager on URL: http://www.htmlgear.lycos.com/

Anyone else having similiar problems?

24+ hours seems like a loooooooong time for a big operation like Lycos....

Posted by me2/kulacoco at 12:44 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (20) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 21 January 2007
Angelfire Team
Mood:  crushed out
Topic: CGI scripts
OK, I know you folks on the Angelfire staff don't provide any CGI support, but maybe if one of you has a little extra time on your hands you could do a couple thousand Angelfire users a huge favor by answering this one simple question. Why don't the Angelfire CGI scripts work like they are supposed too as shown in the documentation you provide? All I want to do is create a form and have visitor comments saved to a text file and then spit out onto an HTML page. According to whats on Your documentation this could be achieved by using the form handler, and the modules, AngelfirePage.pm, and AngelfireInsert.pm. The biggest problem here is YOU CANNOT SAVE ANYTHING TO A TEXT FILE as stated by your documentation. So what do we do, and could someone please post this fix to this problem? This has been an issue for a very long time and needs addressed.

Posted by Daymon at 4:10 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (14) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 11 January 2007
E-mail link
I recently changed my email address, and it's correct on Angelfire's My Account, but the link on my index page continues to show my old address. What do I need to do to correct this? I've gone to the webshell, turned off the email link and then restarted it, but the old address still comes up.

Posted by az3/goladyjags at 7:09 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older