Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 27 February 2007
Where Are the Ads?
I created a web page using Angelfire's free option. I'm under the impression that such sites/pages have advertising put onto them. But I've seen no ads on my page ever since building it. Why is that?

My page

Also, how do you get your page into the Angelfire Member's directory?

Any help would be appreciated.

AD

https://www.angelfire.com/planet/zerofret/
(in case above link doesn't work)

Posted by planet/zerofret at 7:01 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (16) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 27 February 2007 - 8:41 PM EST

Name: dalleh

how nice of you to complain about that, that is so sweet and honest LOL....the ads are there, are you using firefox browser, your browser is blocking the ads.
you cannot add your page to that directory angelfire does the update between now and then.

Wednesday, 28 February 2007 - 12:59 AM EST

Name: planet/zerofret

Thanks for the quick answer!

I know, it sounds kind of odd to be asking where the ads are on my page, but web page building is totally new to me, so when the info for the plan I chose said there would be ads on my page and I couldn't see any ads, I was wondering if I had done something wrong in building the page. I just want to be sure that everything's in order, doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I'm not using Firefox, but I guess the ads are getting blocked. I'm just interesed in seeing my page as others see it...and, of course, knowing what kind of ads are being put on the page.

That answers both of my questions, though. Thanks very much!

Wednesday, 28 February 2007 - 1:07 PM EST

Name: tom

I just visited your page @ URL:
https://www.angelfire.com/planet/zerofret/
and the ads are all there, in their magnificient profusion.

Have no fear, you've got two pop-ups, and
two banner ads on top (plus the angelfire toolbar);
AND, you've got an additional banner ad at the bottom.

It looks like a full compliment to me :)

Wednesday, 28 February 2007 - 4:21 PM EST

I had to ask, didn't I?! :-D Thanks for the detailed info.

Ever since I started working on the page, every time I go from the Webshell into Advanced Editor I get a pop-up that says "Stack Overflow At Line: 0". It'll come up three times in a row, the third time I click it away it doesn't come back. I couldn't see any problem with the page, so I didn't concern myself with it too much. Can anyone tell me if that's related to the problem of not being able to see the ads on my page?

Is "stack overflow" a major problem? (I'm guessing it is.) I tried researching it myself by looking it up on Google, but all I got was confused. (There's lots written about it, and it seems Angelfire free pages have a problem with it.) Is there a way of resolving the problem? (I realize it might be too complicated to explain here.)

-AD

Wednesday, 28 February 2007 - 6:15 PM EST

Name: Tom

This issue has come up before on the A/F Blog and it generated a HUGE amount of responses [55] from various blog regulars.

Go to: https://www.angelfire.com/blog/community/index.blog?from=20060131

amd check out the first item, dated: Tuesday, 31 January 2006

Wednesday, 28 February 2007 - 7:18 PM EST

After re-reading all the previous postings on this subject, I notice that no real solution was found; although lots of excellent information was passed back and forth by some real experts in website development.

You wrote: "Ever since I started working on the page, every time I go from the Webshell into Advanced Editor I get a pop-up that says "Stack Overflow At Line: 0".."

Why do you have to go into advanced editor? Just edit your HTML code in Windows notepad, save it with a html extension
& upload it into the appropriate folder in your webshell.

If you are only getting that error message, when you go from webshell into advanced editor, then perhaps by working around it, as I suggested above, the problem will eliminate itself.

Also, you should keep your notepad html files stored as backup on your own computer. Then you always have them close at hand. If you get an FTP client, you won't have to go near the webshell at all.

Thursday, 1 March 2007 - 2:46 AM EST

Thanks for the link to the other discussion thread. And I guess I go into advanced editor because that's the only way I know how to do it! I'm interested in trying this other method you mentioned, but kind of need step by step instructions.

1. "Just edit your HTML code in Windows notepad"
-Does this mean I copy and paste the HTML coding for my web page from the advanced editor into a Notepad file?

2. "save it with a html extension"
-Do I just name the file after the web page, then add .html at the end?

3. "& upload it into the appropriate folder in your webshell."
-This file is the coding for the whole web page, right? How do I know what the appopriate file is?

4. My web page is added to on a regular basis. With advanced editor, when I add a new guitar tab, I just code in a link to the new tab, adding it to the already saved coding for the rest of the page, and hit "save". How would it work with this other method? Every time I want to add a new guitar tab to the page, would I have to delete the existing HTML file for the entire web page and upload a new one with the new additions added in?

These might sound like stupid questions, but I need it "dumbed down" as much as possible. :-)
(if you have time to answer)

Thanks alot for your help!

-AD

Thursday, 1 March 2007 - 5:20 AM EST

Hi Anne,

I will try to answer your questions as follows:

1. "Just edit your HTML code in Windows notepad"
-Does this mean I copy and paste the HTML coding for my web page from the advanced editor into a Notepad file?

A. Exactly.

2. "save it with a html extension"
-Do I just name the file after the web page, then add .html at the end?

A. Exactly

3. "& upload it into the appropriate folder in your webshell."
-This file is the coding for the whole web page, right? How do I know what the appopriate file is?

A. You mean appropriate 'directory' not file. I should have written 'directpry', not folder. If all your files (html & images etc) are uploaded into your 'top-level' directory, then don't worry about it, just upload your html files into your directory. Some people have separate directories/folders for each type of file, or they may have multiple sub-directories for different sections of their website. Personally, I prefer to work in the top-level directoy only...it's less complicated that way, for my simple brain :)

4. My web page is added to on a regular basis. With advanced editor, when I add a new guitar tab, I just code in a link to the new tab, adding it to the already saved coding for the rest of the page, and hit "save". How would it work with this other method? Every time I want to add a new guitar tab to the page, would I have to delete the existing HTML file for the entire web page and upload a new one with the new additions added in?

A. When you do your editing in Notepad, it's essaentially the same thing as when you do it in the advanced editor. In other words, your notepad has become your advanced editor. When you are finished with your editing, simply upload the html file to your webshell, clicking on the 'overwrite box'. This will automatically overwrite the existing html file.

These might sound like stupid questions, but I need it "dumbed down" as much as possible. :-)
(if you have time to answer)

A. Always have the time for nice folks like you. And, believe me, your questions are intelligent and well expressed.

Thanks alot for your help!

You are most welcome! Incidentally, ny son plays a mean blues guitar, in the style of Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy etc.
You may listen to some of his MP3's at the following URL:
https://www.angelfire.com/indie/what1/index.html#rigs
You will find two groups of his music on the above mentioned URL [Rigs & Pieces] and [Voodo Rig]. He is known as 'Bubba'. You will also find my kid brother on the same page. His group is called: [what?] and his name is Steve, and he plays & sings rock, folk etc.. Enjoy!

PS: I am going to send them the URL of your excellent website. I'm sure they will find your guitar tabs useful.

Regards,

Tom
=====

Friday, 2 March 2007 - 2:55 AM EST

This was all starting to sound so logical and straight forward that I knew something had to go wrong. So, of course, it did!

I'm okay up to a point. I copied all the web page coding to a Notepad file. I saved it with an html extension, using the web page title .html. I uploaded it into the webshell, and checked to see if I could view it. (I could.) I do use Subdirectories for images and the 3 separate sections of my page, but this I wanted in the top level directory.

But here's where the trouble starts. Working in advanced editor, all my html coding was being saved into the index.html file. Before uploading the Notepad file I put some test text near the bottom of the page (it just said "test test test") so I'd be able to tell if what was showing on my web page was still the index.html file or the newly uploaded Notepad file. And it was still the index.html file showing on the page.

I don't know how to override that index file so that it's the contents of the Notepad file that's showing on the site.
-I tried removing the coding from the index file, thinking it might default to the other file, but instead my web page just disappeared. (I put the coding back!)
-I tried re-naming the Notepad file index.html to see if I could overwrite that other file, but when I selected the file to upload, it became index.html.html, so it uploaded as a different file, leaving me with the same problem.
-I even tried deleting the index.html file, thinking (again) it might default to the other file, and found out that you can't delete it. I had a feeling that was kind of an extreme step. :-)

So I thought I'd be spending time tonight listening to Bubba and What?, but instead I'm still trying to figure this out. :(

I did listen to a bit of it earlier today, though, listened to some very cool blues slide playing on one song (in the Rigs & Pieces section), and watched What?'s YouTube video footage of "Grace, Too" (love that song). Good stuff! I'll definitely be going back to listen to more of it.

Thanks for your comments on my website, and again for your help (and patience!).

-Anne

Friday, 2 March 2007 - 10:03 AM EST

Hi Anne,

Glad you like the music on our page.

The problem is not difficult to solve. Simply
save the file as index.html on your computer, and then
delete the index.html.html file, which has one too
many .htmls....then, upload it to your webshell,
clicking the overwrite box.

That should do the trick.

Tom
====

Friday, 2 March 2007 - 11:22 AM EST

Hi again, Anne,

Here's an even simpler solution:

1. Open Windows Notepad.
2. Click on file and click on 'open'.
3. Locate the file index.html.html
4. Right click on the file name
5. Select 'Rename'
6. Type in index.html
7. Close dialog box
8. Upload file to webshell, clicking
on the 'overwrite option'

Saturday, 3 March 2007 - 2:20 AM EST

This seems determined not to work for me, but I really don't want to take up any more of your time with it. I think you've already given it more than enough! I'll just outline what went wrong this time and leave it at that.

When I was trying to do this last night (before your last two posts), I had named the Notepad file "index.html" (but without the quotes). I went to the Webshell to the File Upload section. I clicked on the "Browse" box, selected the file "index.html", then clicked on "Open". When the file name appeared in the Upload box, it read "index.html.html". I didn't add that extra "html" myself, (and the file was never named that), it just appeared. So I knew that even if I clicked "overwrite" it wouldn't work because it had the wrong file name. And I didn't know why that 2nd .html was being added or what to do about it.

That addresses your Points 3-6 of renaming the file. The file was always named "index.html". But in the transfer to the Upload box, an extra .html got added.

At this point, it's looking like I'll just have to keep working in the Advanced Editor. One thing I noticed about IT, though, in all of this. Even when the Advanced Editor box is wiped clean, a totally blank box without a stroke of text or coding in it, I still get the "stack overflow" message. I can't win. :-) (But it suggests that it's not anything incorrect in my coding, at least.)

I really do appreciate all the time you've given this, Tom. But I don't think you should worry about it anymore.

Thanks again!

-Anne

Saturday, 3 March 2007 - 11:19 AM EST

Hi Anne,

For the time-being, why don't you just upload the file as index.html.html and then choose the rename option in the webshell?

Maybe some other folks here have some other suggestions for you.

I remember, in the early days of the Firefox browser,
when I would save an image as xxxx.jpg (including the .jpg)
the file would show up on my computer as xxxx.jpg.jpg
so I used to save it as xxxx and allow the .jpg to be added automatically, by selecting file type in the windows dialogue box. These days, Firefox has corrected that glitch.

I don't know what you are doing, to get the extra .html in your file name.

Maybe Dalleh, CW and/or Mamagoo can help us out here?

Tom
===

Saturday, 3 March 2007 - 3:53 PM EST

Hi Tom,

"For the time-being, why don't you just upload the file as index.html.html and then choose the rename option in the webshell?"

Success!!...(finally!) with this suggestion.

I thought that with an index.html file already in the Web shell, if I uploaded the index.html.html file and tried to rename it index.html, it would tell me I couldn't do that because there was already a file of that name. But that didn't happen. I just ended up with one file named index.html. You're a genius! :-D

I had tried the other suggestion a day or two ago (uploading the file leaving the extension off the name), but it uploaded as a text file. I think maybe I missed the step of selecting the file type in the Windows dialogue box. I can always try that again.

But your first suggestion worked just fine. It requires that one extra step of renaming the file, but that only takes a few extra seconds to do.

Thanks so much!

-Anne

Saturday, 3 March 2007 - 6:37 PM EST

Hi Anne,

Am so happy that you have been able to upload your file.

Sooner or later, you will discover:
1. why you are getting the 'stack overflow error'
2. why you are ending up with two .html(s) in your file names

As mentioned in my previous posting, perhaps Dalleh, CW and/or Mamagoo will be able to help with this mystery.

I found the following info on the Net:
"Stacks: Reserved memory that programs use for processing. An error message "stack overflow" is because there is not enough space in memory available to handle the calls being made to Windows."

Have a nice weekend.

Tom
===

Sunday, 4 March 2007 - 1:37 AM EST

Thanks, Tom...you have a great weekend, too! :-)

And thanks to both you and Dalleh for helping me out and answering my questions.

View Latest Entries