Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Friday, 4 March 2005
unwelcome tags on webpage
Mood:  surprised
Topic: HTML Questions
When creating an new page for my site I was using the advanced editor to post my own html. When I save the page, an -a- tag is inserted into the html of the following sentence, which created a link on my page to a garage sale search site. The sentence originally read:

People are generous about donating to a garage sale, but holding a sale is very labor intensive,

as it appeared after saving (some html marks changed slightly for this post):
People are generous about donating to a !a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=garage%20sale" onmouseover="window.status='garage sale'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">garage sale< !/a!, but holding a sale is very labor intensive,

Actually three tags were inserted similar to this example. Where does that !a-href! tag come from? Is it inserted by Angelfire or an affiliate? I've removed it and saved that page several times and the only way I keep it from coming back is to mis-spell garaage sale. I have scanned for spy and adware on my own computer and find no suspects. Haven't ever had anything like this appear on its own.

I don't mind ads, but is inserting html tags into my page part of the program?

Posted by musicals/uniqhorn at 11:18 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post

Friday, 4 March 2005 - 12:33 PM EST

Name: dalleh

you have two banners inserted by angelfire one at the top of the page and the other at the bottom of the page. you cannot control or change any of them. clear the browsers cookies the ads may change. I am not sure but using the word sale in the title attracts similar ads to the page.

Friday, 4 March 2005 - 3:14 PM EST

Name: cw
Home Page: http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050225-104317

Do you see the info in the actual file stored in your web shell or only in the source code of the live page. Wondering about spyware or adware on your pc or if you have smart browsing for keywords turned on in your browser. I also found the link above about a new autolink feature on google's toolbar. Are you using google's toolbar?

Friday, 4 March 2005 - 6:00 PM EST

Name: musicals/uniqhorn
Home Page: http://www.uniqhorns.com

OK - I Found the culprit ~ I loaded a better virus scanner that picked up two back-door viruses that came in with a screen saver I got earlier. A previous virus scan had skipped these as permission-based files. I expect certain features to come along with such free screensaver downloads, but I had never before seen one that inserted tags into html pages I was posting on my site. The problem is fixed ~ Thank you for your comments ~ Uniqhorn

View Latest Entries