Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Monday, 31 January 2005
Please help I've been trying to get this done and can't
Mood:  irritated
Topic: Image Questions
I have been trying to get this image on my site for the longest time and can't figure it out. I have tried all of the suggestions on the help page and they don't help. I have my image under my image directory as a gif. So I think that is right. On my page all there is, is a box with an x in it. Please help.

Posted by pro2/totalindulgence at 6:56 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (35) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Monday, 31 January 2005 10:31 PM EST

Monday, 31 January 2005 - 8:42 PM EST

Name: cw

It always helps if you leave a URL to a specific page you're having a problem with. I think I found yours and I can't locate your image anywhere. What is the *exact* name of the directory you uploaded it to? The letter case of the file and folder names are also important and need to appear in the file path exactly as named.

Also, make sure the file name is encased in a pair of single quotes or double quotes in your img src="" code. You have one of each in your code, not a pair.

Monday, 31 January 2005 - 10:07 PM EST

Name: megan
Home Page: http://pro2/totalindulgence

Well I put my image under the directory images. by the way my home pge is pro2/totalindulgence. as you can tell i don't know what i'm doing here.

Monday, 31 January 2005 - 10:29 PM EST

I already looked for it in a directory called "images" and it isn't there. Look in your webshell and see if the image is inside that "images" directory. If not, upload or move it there.

hope that helps

Monday, 31 January 2005 - 10:42 PM EST

Name: pro2/totalindulgence

Well I went to my webshell and went to my images directory I was able to view my image under the file picture_3_.gif. Do I need to change the name of this file to something else?

Monday, 31 January 2005 - 11:04 PM EST

Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/pro2/totalindulgence/images/pi

Are you sure? Here is the URL of an image called picture_3_.gif located in a subdirectory called "images at your account. Try it, you'll see the image isn't there.If it was, you could view the image from the URL.

Double check the file location and make sure the file and folder are named *exactly* as you said (and how it's written in your file path)... in all lowercase letters.

If all else fails, view the image from the webshell and copy it's URL. Then use that URL in the image file path in your code.

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 10:35 AM EST

why can I view this on my web shell but not pull it up on my page. It won't let me copy the URL.

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 11:00 AM EST

Name: dalleh

somthing wrong with the name or the path of the image ( location )

rename your image and change code on the page to the new name.
make sure the new name is only one word like picture3.gif

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 11:43 AM EST

yes, something definitely wrong. Do as dalleh suggests and rename the file.

good luck!

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 1:57 PM EST

thanks guys all of your comments helped a lot. can you see my picture now? do you think that i should add anything else to my little page?

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 4:51 PM EST

Name: dalleh

Yes I can see it.

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 5:27 PM EST

So do you think I should add anything else? Or does it look ok.

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 5:46 PM EST

Home Page: http://www.netmechanic.com/toolbox/html-code.htm

Megan- to be honest, that image at almost 500KB is much too large for a web page. You would be better off typing out that info and using html layout and formatting since what's contained in it is the gist of your business and website and you should want that info available as quickly as possible to your visitors. Many potential customer's may leave your site long before the image has loaded. Those on modem may need to wait several minutes for it to appear.

One place to test for load time is at the link above. Generally you want a site that will load in under 20 secs at a 28kbps connection speed. I believe this site reccommends under 12 secs. A fast load time is extremely important for a business site.

If you need more help or have more questions, just post back.

http://www.netmechanic.com/toolbox/html-code.htm

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 8:57 PM EST

So I think that I have made it faster what do you think?

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 11:35 PM EST

That's a significant improvement! And the load time seems OK from here on modem. But... and there's always a but lol.... the text in graphics is not readable to search engines so you're not getting the indexing benefit of text. As a business you want search engine spiders to love you. I guess you could say they need to be massaged :). Search Engines love text. Also those using text readers, or those who have images turned off will not see the important info inside that graphic.

If you decide to keep your page as is make sure to use an image alt tag to add some descriptive text, preferably with keywords. These won't be visible on your page but will be readable by the search engine and anyone else that can not view your image.

good luck with your site!

Tuesday, 1 February 2005 - 11:55 PM EST

How do I do this?

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 12:04 AM EST

the alt text goes inside the image tag as in the example below. Most page builders will have a field to add your alt text. If not, you'll have to add it yourself to the image html code. Just make sure the text is enclosed in quotes. (beginning tag character is missing as it can't be posted here)

img src="/pro2/totalindulgence/images/picture3.gif" alt="some text goes in here">

hope that helps

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 9:59 AM EST

Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/folk/dollhouseprintables/total

megan- here's another way you can approach it. I think you have a nice thing going with the cursive script and also liked the color combo you used just before you redid the gif. it was soothing which I think is what you're after. Here I took part of your graphic and turned it into a background upon which you can place your text (I have a 2 column table layout here with invisible borders. The left column is 150 px wide and empty to keep the text off the left BG text.) You could do this a number of other ways with a smaller gif or jpg BG graphic with fixed positioning. The BG could be made much smaller in file size (mine is about 15 KB) if you start the graphic over from scratch instead of creating this from your original gif as I did.

The BG image can be viewed here to get an idea of where I'm going with this

https://www.angelfire.com/folk/dollhouseprintables/bg_total2.gif

You'll get many benefits from removing your gif and replacing it with html text such as faster load time, improved visitor accessibility, search engine friendliness and better SE indexing and rank.

Sorry to be such a pain but I think you're making a big mistake you'll live to regret using even the smaller version of your full text gif.

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 10:32 AM EST

Well the thing is that the image is my brochure itself so I don't feel like I should change it to much. I have tried making my image smaller but then you can't read it, so what's the use?

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 10:57 AM EST

Home Page: http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

megan- It's really not a matter of making your graphic smaller. Hard copy is hard copy and a web page is a web page. It's like mixing apples and oranges. You can simulate the look of your brochure on your web page... or even offer your brochure as a printable pdf but depending on a graphic replica of your hard copy brochure is not serving the best interests of your web site. You'll only be hurting yourself in the end.

Take a look at the page above and try out your page as a text reader would see it. This is pretty much what a search engine will see on your page.... and anyone visually disabled. Notice that none of the info in your brochure is there. There's a very big point to be made here that should be of good use :).

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 11:10 AM EST

ok point made! So now, exactly how do I do this remember I am probably one of the most computer stupid peoople out there, as if you can't tell already. How did all of you guys get so good at this? Let's just say that I think it's a good idea that I'm a massage therapist, it has nothing to do with computers. megan

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 2:43 PM EST

Home Page: http://cwoolse.tripod.com/test/total2.html

Megan- lol we are all learning here :). And like anything else, you take it one step at a time.

I don't know how this will work out but I made a quick template that I *think* you should be able to save and edit in your editor. It was slashed and burned together using parts of your code and more that I added in a different editor than the one I think you used. If nothing else you may be able to get an idea of how to build a simple page with an html table. A table is one way to control the layout of the page.

Here, I was going for a resemblence to your brochure if it's not an exact replica. This template should adjust itself for different screen resolutions and should adjust to fit OK into the most common ones used (800 x 600 and 1024 x 768). Fingers crossed! I created a small line graphic from one used in your brochure, typed out the text and formatted it as close as I could to your brochure using common web fonts.

The page is uploaded to my ad free tripod account so you won't need to edit out the ad code. If you view it and 'save as' a web archive the images should come along. (Save from the main menu browser or by right clicking on the page). Then try opening the file in corel which is what I think you used to build your original. Just play with it and get some hands on experience. Feel free to do whatever you want with it.

One thing to watch is the fonts you use on the page. Try to stick to very common ones that most visitors can be expected to have. There are only a handful that are safe... arial, verdana, helvetica, and a few others. If a visitor doesn't have the font you called for, they will see a default font instead. Luckily, your editor is kind of taking care of that by specifying a generic cursive font to replace your odd ball font 'English111 Vivace BT'. What I'm seeing is probably at least in the spirit of what you intended your visitors to see.

hope this helps and above all have fun!

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 5:17 PM EST

Wow, that looks great! I got everything moved over except for the image on the side. How do I get that image on my page and where do I put it in my html code?

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 7:44 PM EST

Home Page: http://cwoolse.tripod.com/test/bg_total2.gif

The side image is actually a large background. The link to it is above. You need to save it to your desktop and upload it to your account in the same directory as the page. Make sure to upload it as bg_total2.gif If you get it uploaded to the right place there is nothing else you need to do.

I cut this background image for a site with ads. There's a a sort of space at the top that leaves room for them so they don't cover the actual graphic text. If you ever upgrade your account (which I highly recommend), the same BG image cut a little closer at the top would probably look better. Let me know and I'll redo it for you. You can always reach me through this blog.

This page looks nice because your basic design and content had great bones. It didn't take much to whip it into a decent html layout and most of the credit belongs to you.

any problem with anything just post back.

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 7:53 PM EST

megan- in the sport massage blurb I just spotted a typo in the word "release". Make sure to proofread. I am an *evil* typist!

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 8:06 PM EST

Home Page: http://cwoolse.tripod.com/test/total-line.gif

Megan- you also need to upload this image to your account- again same directory as the page. It's the little bullet divider that goes under your massage headings.

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 9:36 PM EST

So are you tired of me yet? What did I do wrong?

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 10:02 PM EST

No. not tired :).

Remove the image code you added to the page. All you need to do is upload the 2 images I left the links for, to your account. Do that through the webshell. The images need to go in the same directory as the page. That's the main directory. There's nothing else you need to do to the page since the file paths I wrote are relative.

Give it a try and post back with any problems

Wednesday, 2 February 2005 - 11:21 PM EST

Well I had saved the total2.html as my index. Now it won't let me save anything else under it. So should I not have done that? oops.

Thursday, 3 February 2005 - 9:28 AM EST

I don't think you did anything wrong. You needed to rename that page to replace your old version. The images will be uploaded just like the one you had a problem with. Are you having trouble uploading them?

By any chance are you using an AOL browser? Are you uploading through the webshell or some other way? Also make sure the gifs were saved to your pc in the right format. Seems Windows sometimes likes to save web images as .bmp if your browser cache is full so that's something else you might look at.

Hang in there :). We should be able to figure this out. I pretty much did everything you did with this page - renamed index file, uploaded images - to my free AF account yesterday, so I know it can be done. We just need to figure out why you're having a problem.

Thursday, 3 February 2005 - 10:00 AM EST

I'm using earthlink. I have been uploading everything into my webshell. So you renamed the file as your index which is what I did. What did you upload the images under? Did you create an image directory to put them under? If you did then where did you put them in your html of your index so that they would show up?:)

Thursday, 3 February 2005 - 10:46 AM EST

megan- you're making progress. The little bullet image is working now and all we need to do is get the BG image right. I have a feeling you may have renamed the BG image file??? If so then you need to change it's name in the page code. *But* there really is no need to rename it. Just upload to the same place the bullet gif went (think I named that total-line.gif) and leave the page code alone.

I know you had problems before with a file name with an underscore in it, but I don't think that had anything to do with the problem you had before. Underscores are allowed in file names. So try uploading the image exactly as I named it with an underscore.

as for an images directory- my page was written without one... though I would normally organize a site that way. i tried to make it simple and just wrote the code so both the page and it's image files were all in the same directory. Should you want to organize images into their own directory in the future, you'd need to rewrite the page code and upload or move the images to the images directory. I'm probably confusing you. Let's just say don't worry about other directories for now. Just upload the image exactly as I named it with the underscore to your main directory. if that doesn't work we'll work from there.

Thursday, 3 February 2005 - 11:00 AM EST

It worked, It worked!!!! I just wanted to say thanks for all of your help. I think this has to be the longest running comment reply section. Anyway thanks for everything you were the biggest help. Lord knows Angelfire help has done nothing to actually help me.

Thursday, 3 February 2005 - 11:17 AM EST

Name: mamagoo

congratulations you two!

I had faith in you Megan...

Looks very good......!

cw,
I think megan is right this is the longest post I have seen here in quite sometime...

Megan you had a good teacher, cw is very good at this....

Cheers!

Thursday, 3 February 2005 - 11:23 AM EST

Now wasn't that easy? :).

I'm delighted to see a post go on so long here at AF. Usually people post a question here and never bother to come back. I hate seeing those 1 and 2 comment entries over here lol. We have a much more lively blog over at tripod. I don't know what makes the difference over there since most of us helpers post at both blogs. Anyway, glad it worked and that you're happy. Good luck with your business and your site.

Thursday, 3 February 2005 - 11:54 AM EST

THANKS GUYS lol !!!!

View Latest Entries