Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Monday, 21 June 2004
shift an pressin on links to open MP3s
Mood:  quizzical
hi every1 keeps telling me that if i have a text link to an MP3 i can save it by pressing shift on the link. However all this appears to do is open a new window instantly for it to play in. i'm confused as holding shift just won;t open up a save window.

Posted by band2/neptunerainmusic at 3:59 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (9) | Permalink | Share This Post

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 9:43 AM EDT

Name: cw

i'm a Mac user so am click challenged but..... aren't Windows users able to save by right clicking and holding on the text link? Choose 'save' from the right click menu that should appear.

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 2:22 PM EDT

Name:

nice one ure a legend!

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 3:59 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo

that only saves the the url link to it if you do it that way, doodle. in order to save mp3 and midi files to the hard drive you have to be able to open it in windows media player and save the song to file from the player menu.

open windows media player and go to file open url and paste the saved link to the field and it will open in media player then go to file- save to file, now it will be on your hard drive and not playing from the site that you downloaded it from....

not many players save media files, another one that does is winamp but it is harder to find the option there......I like windows media player 9 for saving mp3's and midi files.....

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 4:06 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo again

btw, opps, what I meant was r/c on the text link and choose copy shortcut then open media player and paste it to the file open url link....

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 4:23 PM EDT

Name: being a magoooo

OH MY GOSH LIVE AND LEARN....!!
Doodle I have learned something....lol... by holding the shift key and selecting save as it does save it as a file!! oh my gosh..! I never knew that.

all this time I have been doing it like I mentioned above....the shift key does this so neatly...
sorry about not knowing this when i POSTED but I never knew it could be done that way......all these years that I have had midi music on my site.....thanks mac user you helped me again....lol

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 4:53 PM EDT

Name:

I am not even leaving my name this time, I feel like a total idiot, boy oh boy I better go back on vacation and come back again....

The SHIFT KEY has nothing to do with it....... ok this magoooooooo.....didn't want to admit it....sorry
My one track mind is getting the best of me these days....

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 5:12 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo

dalleh, cw, will you delete my posts here from mamagoo....plez..!

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 6:42 PM EDT

Name: dalleh

the right click menu changes it depends on what your mouse is pointing to. using shift, ctrl and alt buttons with the left click or with k-board keys can save you lot of work.

when you click on a link that is pointing to a zip file, windows open the save file window to save it, when you click on a midi link the browser opens the midi file, to stop the browser from opening the file you have to press shift and left click at the same time.

Monday, 21 June 2004 - 9:28 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo again and again......

I'm awake, now, lol..... and why I felt like an idiot, I was relating to an embedded player without a text link.

I am spoiled because I use windows media player as my default plug-in player for playing and saving abilities. Windows Media player and winamp have the ability to save the song but not from the from an embedded browser player itself.

When Quicktime or real player and others take over the browser plug-in, there is a series of steps that have to be taken to make Media player the default again.

the basic Quicktime, realplayer and others do not have the save option, the payed versions might, I don't know.

in case's when there is just an embedded player and no text link then what you can do is, copy the URL of the page that the player is on and then open windows Media Player and paste the link in the field under, File-Open-URL option, then save the song as a file from there.......most computers come with windows media player7-9 , but the problem is Quick time, realplayer, etc etc. take over as the default browser players when you install them- if you let them.....lol....
and it will take to much explanation here to explain how to change this.......but it's basicly going to the file type options in each of the players options and checking and unchecking the file type options for however you want the change to be, but Quicktime can be a stickler once it takes over......lol......

ok just thought I'd mention this and again it has nothing to do with the original mp3 text link question that the poster was lookng for, and cw answered that one and it helped me also......lol

View Latest Entries