Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Sunday, 6 June 2004
PLS HELP
Mood:  hungry
Topic: HTML Questions
Do anyone know how to make a "division sign" like this in ascii or something like that.

Posted by theforce/myspip at 2:58 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post

Sunday, 6 June 2004 - 12:13 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo
Home Page: http://4pkruger.com/mathcode.html

I figured something close but it's not from any particular math source. Link is above.
I just used some basic things to get this. I put it on a page for you to view. If you want to use it just view the source code of that page to get the HTML for it...

Here is a site that could help for what you want.
http://www.bbsinc.com/iso8859.html

Monday, 7 June 2004 - 11:02 AM EDT

Name: jrp34

There is a "correct" way to do it, but it might not work on all browsers and depend on how the browser is configured. It probably will work on modern browsers in the English-speaking world.

The HTML hex encoding for the character is:

÷

And it looks like:

÷

Welcome to UTF8 voodoo.

JP

Monday, 7 June 2004 - 11:05 AM EDT

Name: jrp34

Damn, damn, damn. That wasn't what you asked. And I was all impressed with myself too.

What you want is supported by MathML, a HTML/XML language for rendering mathematical expressions. I know that there is support for it in Netscape 7+ (maybe you need a plugin), but I don't know about Internet Explorer. You can probably do some searches on Google or something to see if IE supports it.

JP

Monday, 7 June 2004 - 12:39 PM EDT

Name: cw

And if all else fails why not write it as a linear equation.....

(3x+4 )?(2x-1)=4

Tuesday, 8 June 2004 - 7:02 AM EDT

Name: dalleh

or the hard way a table

<table border="0">
<table border="0">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td>3x </td>
<td>+ </td>
<td>4</td>
<td valign="middle" rowspan="3" colspan="1">=</td>