Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Friday, 8 April 2005
Old case senstive web address = your webshell is gone???
Mood:  irritated
Topic: HTML Questions
It seems someone at Angelfire/Lycos has changed the case senstive web site address system in the webshell so my webshell which did have 100's of html files and 100's of jpgs now says it has 1 html file and no jpg files. My Angelfire web address has a capital W in it but when I log in my webshell shows a small w and says I just have a 1k index.html file with the beginner Angelfire template. All my html and jpg files are missing from the webshell. I have no way to edit my massive website anymore that I have had since 1996 and which I pay Angelfire over $9 a month for.

I checked someone else's webshell I handle for them and they had a capital letter in their address and the same thing happened to them. What is going on here? Can someone explain???

Posted by va/walker3 at 5:50 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (11) | Permalink | Share This Post

Friday, 8 April 2005 - 10:11 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo

I just got to your published pages, but I had to "manually" type in your addy using the capitol W

all of your files are still in a directory, only angelfire can't find the directory because of the case change........

log out of angelfire and log back in, 'manualy' type your user name with the capitol W don't paste or use the auto-login method anymore.....
and it should take you to the web shell with all your files....

to see your published pages from the browser direct address field, you also have to manually type in the addy using the capitol W,
again don't use the history addy or shortcuts it has to be manually typed in.........

I am not sure how you will reslove this so check back here for a support person or contact support

but it seems that you will have to use an ftp application to save your pages and files and then ftp them to your account that uses the lower case.....

Friday, 8 April 2005 - 11:01 PM EDT

Name: va/walker3

Yes, I have no trouble getting to my published pages, I just cant edit or add anything since all the files have vanished from my webshell.

You say to transfer everything to the lower case account. Well the account with the lower case w is the free kind with ads and less space, etc. so all my stuff wouldn't fit there.

I am paying $9.90 a month for a site with no ads and lots of space. I can't even upgrade the lower case w account to get more space because when I go to "my account" it says I already have the ad-free/more space service. So they are contridicting themselves saying "upgrade from a free account by clicking here" then I click there and it says I am already paying $9.90 a month.

Also as I mentioned I have 100's of pages branching out from my main page. It would take me months to start all over and rebuild everything to the new account.

I can't be the only one affected by this. Anyone who used upper case letters in their address would be having this problem. Whatever Angelfire did they need to undo. I read that they were using a Unix server for years which is why the addresses were case sensitive. Maybe they switched the server to a non-Unix one?

Also per your suggestion of manually logging in. I already did the manual log-in with a big W but when I get to my webshell it is the one with the lower case w where all that is there the index.html file and nothing else. This is a big mess. Almost 10 years worth of my life missing now from the webshell. All that hard work vanished. Please someone from Angelfire contact me.

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 12:00 AM EDT

Name: Peter
Home Page: http://angelfire.com/pq/WWWF

Hey my friend, i have the same problem, i have my website since 1999, i was loggin each and every there since the last 5 years, i login today, nothing at all? No html page, no pictures, sweet nothing! I don't know what's going on with angelfire, I never receive any email saying they were doing management(if it's really that they are doing!), my login name at the beginning i sign in, in 1999 was in uppercase, but it was case sensitive at that time, and since like couple of years, it's been change and the login don't needed anymore to be case sensitive! I just dont understand, in my webshell there is nothing except the index.html and saying i have 1.0Kb used of my 20Mb, but when I go in my site, all my stuff is still showing, I just writed them an email this afternoon, never get a respond, try to found a toll free number something, nothing!!

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 12:26 AM EDT

Name: jrp34

Angelfire did a backend update on Thursday. It was small enough that I didn't think to mention it. (We're hoping to bring the blogs and photo album versions back up to sync with Tripod within the next two weeks, and this was the first step.)

Clearly, this is a bug and should be resolvable on Monday. Thank you for reporting it and it will be made a top priority.

JP

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 12:37 AM EDT

Name: jrp34

Thank goodness we didn't switch from a Unix one! (Besides, that would have had the reverse effect from what you said. There'd be less sensitivity instead of more.)

Clearly, a mistake was made someplace. New members haven't been able to sign up for accounts with capital letters in three years or more... something slipped.

Your files won't be lost. Your URL won't change. (Or, if it does, the old one will still work.) You will be able to edit your files again.

JP

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 12:42 AM EDT

Name: Peter
Home Page: http://angelfire.com/pq/WWWF

Okay it's good and I hope we not gonna lost all the stuff we had in our webshell, I also hope it's gonna be repair Monday, I think it's not only me, but we have stuff sometime to change in our webpage.

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 8:35 AM EDT

Name: realm/ststanislas
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/realm/StStanislas/index/html

I am experiencing the same problem. Note the capital "S's" in my address. Hope this can be cured by Monday, since I have date-sensitive items to upload to this site.

Angelfire you better come through.

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 8:39 AM EDT

Name: grieve0
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/mi/RedBearsDream/index.html

I will try the suggested cure. If it doesn't work I will let you know. Luckily my paid account had all lower case letters or I would be extremely UPSET.

Good to know I am not the "lone wolf."

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 9:02 AM EDT

Name: realm/ststanislas
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/realm/StStanislas/index.html

As the webmaster of a few Angelfire/Tripod pages, I can report that ALL the pages I webmaster that have uppercase letters in their URL are experiencing this problem. I have been working for charitable organizations for some time in my capacity as their webmaster. I do this for free, since they want all the monies to go to helping the disadvantaged of the world. However, my personal page (FREE) was begun in 1997 and it was originally on Hotbot. When Hotbot no longer had webpages, it was changed to Angelfire (using their transloader). This move cost me many man hours to make right. I had to establish a new name and password at this time. Then-at one point- Angelfire changed all the names and passwords back to my original one from HotBot.

No warning!!! No letter!!! Nada.

It took me a few days to figure this one out, but eventually, by writing letters I figured out what they did. From that point on I had to use my old HotBot name and password.

Until this discovery, I was locked out of my file manager. So this makes the SECOND TIME this has happened to me.

Here's hoping there is a happy ending for all of us who are effected.

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 10:50 AM EDT

Name: va/walker3
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/va/Walker3/index.html

Glad to hear this has been made a top priority and I won't lose anything. I was getting real depressed last night thinking that I would have to start all over manually copying everything over to the new lower case address webshell. I guess I shouldn't have chosen a capital W for the URL back in 1996 but the W is the start of my last name so I wanted it capitalized. Also I didn't know when I chose it that the address would be case sensitive. Thank you Angelfire for working to get this resolved for all of us affected.

Saturday, 9 April 2005 - 12:43 PM EDT

Name: re:mamagoo
Home Page: https://club.angelfire.com/control.comment?a=addentry_id

As Jp said in the Post for News Update:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE YOUR FILES!
LEAVE AS IS UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS CORRECTED...

https://club.angelfire.com/control.comment?a=add&entry_id=383415

View Latest Entries