Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Thursday, 10 February 2005
need help
Mood:  not sure
Topic: Image Questions
I've had a web page on Angelfire for some time and want to change the pictures that I have on it. When I try to, I get those annoying red X's in the little white box. Forgive my ignorance, but what is that and how can I get rid of them and how can I change my pictures? I've uploaded new pictures I just can't get them on the web page. Thanks for any help.
the site is
Posted by la2/mhooked at 12:47 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post

Thursday, 10 February 2005 - 8:57 AM EST

Name: cw

The red x means the file can't be found at the location your code is pointing. The displaying images on your site are being kept in a subfolder called "images" and the code looks like this....

img src="images/marykirkhooksfamily31.jpg"

to replace your pics upload them to the same images file and make sure the images directory appears in the file path....

img src="images/somenewimagename.jpg"

If the new image does not display check the lettercase so that the name of the file as uploaded matches the name in the file path EXACTLY. somenewimagename.jpg is not the same as SomeNewImageName.jpg or somenewimagename.JPG.

You should also do some reading on optimizing images for the web. Almost all of the images I saw are too large and take a long time to download. Maybe not so important on a personal site with limited visitors but if you want to encourage outside traffic, controlling the size of your images will be important.

good luck!

Thursday, 10 February 2005 - 11:35 AM EST

Name: la2/mhooked

Thank you for your advice, I have rechecked and everything looks like is is uploaded correctly. I've tried retyping everything again and still have the same end result. I would love to make the picture sizes smaller but have no idea how to do that. Can you email me and possibly talk me through this or I would be glad to give you my stuff and let you do it for me. Sorry I am such a wimp with this, but it has me totally confused. Thanks

View Latest Entries