Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

Newer | Latest | Older

Saturday, 11 August 2007
Re: linking to pages in subdirectories
Mood:  d'oh
Topic: Image Questions

OK, got it! I didn't know you couldn't have spaces in the file names... Then I started entering the wrong URL's while I was playing around trying to get it to work...The image URL on the index.html page was correct but it had a space in the file name... So thanks so much!

Mind doing me a favor? I can't see, so I don't know for sure that the images are working. I already tested the links and the problem was fixed, so I have no reason to doubt that the pictures are on my web page now but can't verify it...So can you visit my page and tell me whether or not there is a pic of a zebra on the home page and a pic of a sea turtle on my turtle page? Thanks!

Now the second question...How do I get more than 3 link lists when using the Links style in Basic Editor?

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 12:12 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (16) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 10 August 2007
Linking to pages in subdirectories; link lists
Mood:  quizzical
Topic: Image Questions

I'm building a website with Webshell builder...Having lots of fun with it too... But I'm having trouble with my subdirectories. The beginners' guide says that the index.html file and the images folder are supposed to be provided, but I never could find them! So I created another index.html file and it is going very well. All the links on it that I've written pages for work now... I also created an images folder myself and put a couple pictures in it, and they're there all right. But even though I've referenced to them the pics won't show up on my pages. There is only a little box with an x in it.

I'm having this problem with all subdirectories. I have since created two other subdirectories, and some of the links there work, some don't. For example, my index.html file has a my books & portfolio link which links to a my books page that is in the books/ subdirectory. That works fine. Then the books page has a link to dreampony.html that is also inside the books/ subdirectory. That also works fine. But the dreampony file links to 4 other files which I uploaded into the books/ subdirectory. They were originally .rtf Word files. I've tried both the original .rtf files and also I've tried converting them to simple webpage .html files, but both don't work. These pages are very simple with just text, no links on them. But I'd hate to type them out into webshell basic editor myself because they have color layouts and themes which basic editor does not provide as an option and I don't know enough html code to do it myself...

Also, another question: how do I increase the number of links list? What I mean is that in basic editor on the links style it lets you create 3 separate links lists, each with their own titles. What if I wanted 4? I don't see space provided for a fourth title...How can I get it?

Thanks for your help!

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 2:48 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Paid site Online Chat Always Offline
Mood:  irritated
I have been an Angelfire member since 1999 and have had a paid site at mn/nn since February 2002. On July 16 my credit card was charged the monthly fee by Lycos on my credit card and it is on my paper credit card statement. I can send you a xerox of it. On July 28, my credit card statement shows 2 more charges of $1 each from Lycos. The same day mn/nn was changed to "Free" status even though the next payment is not due until August 16. My previous support tickets have not been answered or even acknowledged, so I got another paid site at nm/m only to find that online chat promised on the signup page is always "offline." What is going on? It has been 2 weeks since you charged my credit card the additional $2 and then changed the site to free status. My pageviews have gone from 1500 on Friday July 27 to as little as 300 a day. When will my paid site at mn/nn be fixed? What is wrong with my credit card? The bank says it is fine. Nothing on it has been changed since it was charged successfully by Lycos on July 16. I pay it off every month so 100% of credit is available for Lycos monthly charge. The online chat feature promised on the signup page is offline. A paid site member at club.Tripod.com says the lycos online chat feature is always offline. What good is a live chat feature for paid members that is always offline? What good is a phone number for Lycos billing on the credit card that just goes to a recording that says Customer Service doesn't accept any phone calls? I had to delete over two thirds of my audio, graphics and pages at mn/nn just to get down to the "free" status storage requirement. I signed up today to change nm/m to paid status with my credit card and it went thru without a problem. No answer to my numerous Support Tickets either. See you all tomorrow with a new post.

Posted by mn/nn at 1:28 PM EDT | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Friday, 10 August 2007 1:34 PM EDT
Thursday, 9 August 2007
How to use Categories on the Menu Bar

I'm having problems with the "Categories" function.  I'm the blog webmaster for this site and I can not make posts to any of the topic categories I've created:

http://scripturerefinersfire.angelfire.com/

Posted by scripturerefinersfire at 6:21 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 7 August 2007
Error page doesn't work
Mood:  surprised
Now Playing: https://www.angelfire.com/mn/nn/
Topic: HTML Questions

I created an error page 404 when my website was a paid site but now that it is a free site the error page doesn't work. Why is there a link to create an error page on free sites if it only works on paid site? I have tried to create error page on other free Angelfire sites too and never works. Only if it is a paid site. I have to paste my error page onto each of the pages I had to delete to get down to 20 meg free size. It's 3:30am EST and i think i will sleep now. Til tomorrow...

Posted by mn/nn at 3:30 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 2 August 2007
Error Message

Lately have been betting the following message when trying

to access this blog with my Firefox Browser. Internet Explorer

seems to be OK. Anybody else having the same problem?

===============error message follows===========

Server ErrorThe following error occurred:

[code=SERVER_RESPONSE_CLOSE] The server closed the connection while reading the response. Contact your system administrator.

Please contact the administrator.

=========end error message===========

Posted by co/begumnoor at 2:20 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 1 August 2007
HTML Editor acting up

I tried to put an embedded audio file in a post

I selected for  autostart="false"

When I preview the above is gone.

Now since I pasted it in here because I copied it out of the original html.

I am confused as to why it keeps dissapearing.

In additon I have some embedded videos in my draft files.

Because I used to be able to edit them for a new media file and use the code over and over again.

When I open drafts they are there they work but when I open the html edictor to copy the code there is nothing there

Posted by ky/kentuckydan at 8:27 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 29 July 2007
Paid site shows as free
Mood:  irritated
my website www.angelfire.com/mn/nn/ was 50meg free site when I changed it to paid site in 2005. They charged my credit card the monthly fee in July but now it shows as a free site at 20meg and I can't edit anything, only delete stuff as it is at 49.9meg and my member info shows 4 different credit card numbers available for them to bill my "free" site to. nobody there on weekends, i guess. hope they answer my angelfire form on monday. I tried to check to see if someone else had gotten in and changed my password but it only shows the current password with no way to change it, is changing password only available on paid sites? the "change password" link is gone. I opened another free angelfire account and moved some of my stuff to the new site to free up space on /mn/nn/ but it didn't help. maybe now angelfire.com has confused the new free website account with my paid one and thinks they are both free sites? and why didn't it default to 50meg free site which it was when i changed it to a paid site? very frustrating since my site hit 1500 hits on friday, a record, and now i can't update the pages

Posted by mn/nn at 8:03 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (9) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 19 July 2007
Main URL dead

https://www.angelfire.lycos.com/ 

results in this failure message

err-or! er-ror - 500!
Some folks can see dead people
- can you see dead pages?
Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL. There has been an error with one of our scripts (/cgi-bin/index) . Please see the current Angelfire Alerts - we might already know about the problem. If we don't, please let us know!
'; document.write( searchbox ); document.getElementById( 'hws' ).focus(); } //-->
Try the search box below to find more information about your topic.
I can post to my blog and edict by using my History to get to blog builder, anyone having this problem might want to try that

Posted by ky/kentuckydan at 8:29 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Main URL dead

https://www.angelfire.lycos.com/ 

results in this failure message

err-or! er-ror - 500!
Some folks can see dead people
- can you see dead pages?
Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL. There has been an error with one of our scripts (/cgi-bin/index) . Please see the current Angelfire Alerts - we might already know about the problem. If we don't, please let us know!
'; document.write( searchbox ); document.getElementById( 'hws' ).focus(); } //-->
Try the search box below to find more information about your topic.
I can post to my blog and edict by using my History to get to blog builder, anyone having this problem might want to try that

Posted by ky/kentuckydan at 8:29 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 17 July 2007
javascript:add_comment

My blog will not allow anyone to add a comment. This is very frustrating. I have a paid account and it was working fine until the new changes were made. Just to make sure that I didn't have conflicting code, I created a new blog with only default options selected and the javascript:add_comment('whatever') didn't work.

I've visited other blogs hosted on angelfire and had no problems with adding a comment. What's the problem? I sent two trouble tickets and never got a response (just automated response).

This is the test blog: 

https://www.angelfire.com/trek/ITReality/Test/

It fails in IE as well as Firefox. Angelfire error message states: There has been an error with one of our scripts
(/bin/blog/control.ajax/trek/ITReality/Test/)

Please advise. 

http://tinyurl.com/2sgo5f

Posted by Etonella at 7:53 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post

Hi JP,

I am not sure if you did or not please look in tripod club.

dalleh 

Posted by dalleh at 12:40 AM EDT | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 14 July 2007
HELP! (Urgent billing question)

Does anyone here have access to Angelfire staff? If so, could you bring this to their notice ASAP please.  

I have notified Angelfire using the online ticket, but that was 13 days ago and they still have not responded to this issue. (they say they will respond within 5-10 business days)

I have a website Neon account with Angelfire, that I have had for a few years.

Recently, I was issued with a new credit card which is currently in use.

I have attempted several times to enter my new card details in my billing account but am unable to do so.

When I add the 'new card' details, I get a message saying "authorisation denied - bad card numbers"

They are not bad numbers, they are correct numbers and I am currently using this card  for transactions. It is being accepted elsewhere. (including another hosting site)

My automatically deducted monthly payment is due soon - I do not want my site removed because of seeming lack of payment! There is obviously some bug with the system.

If anyone who is reading this has the capability to contact an Angelfire  staff member concerned with account payments, please forward my concern asap.

Thanks, Geo. 

Posted by trek/nz_usa at 6:50 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (12) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 9 July 2007
Angelfire - Anti-Spam Work

The Angelfire Team is looking to do one-time spam filtering on all Microsoft FrontPage message boards on the site, to combat a growing spam problem on those boards. Last week we made it somewhat more difficult for spammers to abuse those boards, though more work can be done if it turns out to be necessary.

If you have a MSFP message board which has been spammed and you would like to be in the first round of cleanup, please message here. We're still shaking out the bugs with the system but volunteering will also make sure that we tune the tool to get all of your spam.

JP 

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 5:45 PM EDT | Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 7 July 2007

How do I make the text on my webpage look the same as it does in the edit section?  For example, I am setting up the text to look like a letter and I can't seem to seperate my opening (Dear John,) and closing (Sincerely)from the body of the letter.  I know there is an easy way to do this, typing in symbols or something, but I can't quite remember.

Posted by ced531 at 10:51 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post

i need help with my video3.wmv and video4.wmv, could you please help me to write a code to put on my video page! As always thank you!

https://www.angelfire.com/fl5/lisalk00/LK_movie.html

Posted by fl5/lisalk00 at 2:20 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 6 July 2007
Images on custom error404 pages
Does it work to put an image on a custom error404 page? It works when I look at the page from my webshell, but when I go to a known broken link to a page on my site and click, my 404 page appears without the image. No big deal, but I had a really funny picture I wanted to use...

Posted by moon momma at 10:49 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post

The music/ sound disappearred on my website. I don't know why because I haven't changed my site for awhile. Is it possible to have somebody please check for me! i would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Posted by fl5/lisalk00 at 8:05 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Hit counters not working
Topic: FrontPage

Has Angelfire made changes that no longer allow my hit counters to work?

I use FP 2003, and my hit counters have worked fine up untill about a week ago.  They look fine from Front Page, but do not show up when I view my page on the web; only a box with a red "X" where the counter should be.

I've been trying to get to live chat to ask, but it's rarely available.

Anyone know anything about this?

Posted by oh2/kinsmantile at 7:03 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 3 July 2007
Form Handler Mail Working?
Mood:  not sure
Topic: CGI scripts

I am testing my Form Handler CGI script that
sends an email to several addresses. It has
previously worked for the past 5 years but hasn't
worked now for the past several days during my test . The last email I received was in March!

Has something changed recently to make my
code not work?

Is the Form Handler Mail server not working? (This
has happened in the past).

Any Suggestions are appreciated

Posted by falcon/crhoa at 1:27 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (13) | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older