Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Thursday, 18 November 2004
movie
Mood:  irritated
Topic: Image Questions
I'm new to this and would like to put a small movie (.wmv) on my site, so far am having no luck.

Posted by ego2/kevin1 at 5:53 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (11) | Permalink | Share This Post

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - 6:20 PM EST

Name: dalleh

link it as a text link, the same way you do to link to another page

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - 7:41 PM EST

Name: ego2/kevin1

I have created a link to page 2, but I can't get my movie to show up there. There is a little box with an x, so I have done something.

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - 7:44 PM EST

did you upload the move file to your directory

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - 7:51 PM EST

try the path just

webbskiredux.wmv

and not

images/webbskiredux.wmv

also check if the spelling of the file name is right

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - 8:54 PM EST

I tried different ways to type it in, with no results. The file is there as I can view it, but can't get it to page two. I feel I might just not be entering it correctly in the editor.

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - 10:45 PM EST

Name: mamgoo

what do you mean by getting it to page two? you don't need to get it to a page, you wrote the link to the movie as an image src, that is incorrect.....
the movie will not open on a page anyway, it has to be downloaded and streamed to a player like windows media player. and to do that you just have to point the URL to where the file is in your directory this would be the path to your movie if it was in your main directory

https://www.angelfire.com/ego2/kevin1/webbskiredux.wmv/

write the link on your first page as a text link

where you have 'Movie" now, change the html to link this 'Movie' text like this is how you would link the word 'Movie' to point to your movie file....
(A HREF="https://www.angelfire.com/ego2/kevin1/webbskiredux.wmv/">Movie(/a>

i can't use the opening tags here in the blog so where you see these (
replace it with a greater then tag ok?

but it looks like you may have the movie in a subdirectory? because my media player can't find the path to it like this:
https://www.angelfire.com/ego2/kevin1/webbskiredux.wmv/
so it is not there....
are you sure it is uploaded to your web shell? and that it has the .wmv extension on it?

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - 11:02 PM EST

Name: mamagoo again

there is a way to embed a movie to a page,like you were trying to do, but I am not sure if it will work with a .wmv file....I have used this with .avi movies but here is the code for embedding a movie file.....
if this is what you want to try then put this code somewhere on page two, kevin1 ok?

(p align="center" hspace="0" width="184" height="184">(IMG SRC="BLANK.gif" DYNSRC="FileName.wmv" CONTROLS start=fileopen alt="mymovie">(/p>

again the ( is to replaced with the opening tags
and use your movie file name inplace og the FileName

Friday, 19 November 2004 - 12:50 PM EST

Thank you all for your help, I got the video into page 2, which was the first thing I got to work. My first movie I'm familiar with .avi) and webbsite, so I'm slow. Again, thank you. Kevin

Friday, 19 November 2004 - 8:14 PM EST

Name: mamagoo

way to go it works! so that code I gave does work with .wmv file...LOL
you can change the size of the viewing area the code I gave you is
width="184" height="184
that could be changed to larger numbers, like try 210 but don't go to large ok?

now your file is quite large it is 1.9mg almost 2mg, so it will take a while on modem connection to download and start to stream, also remember that you use up your bandwidth allotment, each and everytime that movie is viewed it will eat at your hourly bandwidth...so one file that size is not to bad but if it's viewed often it will. so if you plan on more movies that size keep in mind they will affect you bandwidth if they are viewed often...ok?

jack Daniels eh, neat movie!

Monday, 22 November 2004 - 1:39 PM EST

Jack Daniels is the 'unofficial' currency of our ski area; these people in the movie all all ski instructors, scary, I'm one of them.

Wednesday, 24 November 2004 - 8:27 PM EST

Name: Kevin
Home Page: http://ego2/kevin1

Just out of curiousity, I have tried changing the numbers for width and height and nothing seems to happen.

View Latest Entries