Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Wednesday, 30 November 2005
linked page links
Please help! I'm not sure what happened...but my linked page now does not show its links. My site is lovelandsinternational.com and I am trying to get the links to show on campwebquest.lovelandsinternational.com. The html page shows for the webquest but none of the links show on that page. I have been trying to figure it out on my own and haven't had any luck.
Thank you!

Posted by super2/lovelands_class at 2:16 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post

Thursday, 1 December 2005 - 5:25 AM EST

Name: tom

campwebquest.lovelandsinternational.com is a sub-domain URL.
What Angelfire URL is it supposed to be directing to?

When I try to access the above-mentioned URL, I get
an Angelfire error page, which states the following:

================================================
Unavailable Angelfire Directory!

Angelfire does not allow the automatic listing of directory or subdirectory contents.

If you are the owner of this Angelfire site, and you want these pages and files to be accessible to visitors, you must create an index.html page that links to them, or direct visitors to an alternate main page.
=================================================

Thursday, 1 December 2005 - 9:24 AM EST

Name: super2/lovelands_class
Home Page: http://campwebquest.lovelandsinternational.com

Thank you, Tom. I really appreciate it. I was trying different things. On the build page, I had two directories called campwebquest. One was .htm and one was .html. I switched them to see if that would work and now there is the error page. I tried to switch them back but it won't let me. And when I try to go to the domain info page, it takes me to a cookiejar site. I don't know what to do.

Thursday, 1 December 2005 - 3:25 PM EST

Name: cw

OK- let's see if we can straighten this out. First we need to understand exactly what you have or did. I think you are confusing terms which makes it harder to understand the problem.

A directory is the same as a folder. I doubt you had 2 directories called campwebquest. That would be impossible to do unless the directory names/folders varied in letter case (since these servers are case sensitive). A good rule to maintain your sanity at times like this- name files and folders in all lowercase. You will never have to wonder what case you used to name them. So the first thing we need to know is *exactly* how you spelled the new directory name.

Also, a directory will not have an extension like .htm or .html on the end of it's name as you said yours did. When you talk about .htm and .html you are referring to files. In particular, page files. Page files are placed inside directories (folders).

Every directory needs a default page called index.htm or index.html or you can't use a simple generic URL like http://campwebquest.lovelandsinternational.com where no specific page is specified. You can't just point a domain name at a directory and expect it to work if you don't have a default index page inside the directory.

First try to find out exactly what you named the directory then make sure it contains it's own index.html or index.htm page (but not both). Only after fixing that should you try to reconfigure the subdomain name. You may not even have to if you set up the directory correctly.

Hope that explains things a little better. Please post back if you need more help.

Thursday, 1 December 2005 - 9:54 PM EST

Name: super2/lovelands_class

Thank you very much for your help cw. I must just be really confused. It used to work. I don't know what happened. I could very well be using incorrect jargon. I did, however, name it /campwebquest.html. There isn't anything else in my webshell that is similar. Does anyone know what the live customer service help from 9 to 5 is? I can't find it anywhere. There is also supposed to be priority email. Does anyone know what that is? I'm thinking that I would try a live talk before I quit. Thanks.

Thursday, 1 December 2005 - 10:37 PM EST

Name: cw

"I did, however, name it /campwebquest.html...."

By "it" do you mean a page or a directory? The answer makes a difference. If it's a directory (folder) then you don't have an index page inside that directory.

Live support can be reached from paid accounts during those hours via the Imail link in your 'my account' section. But I have to say this isn't the type of thing they really support. Suppport is more geared to assisting with account problems. Yours is a building problem that is better addressed here or another building forum.

If we could just see your page it would go a long way in helping you to troubleshoot. If you can't see links on some page it may well be a simple thing like choosing the wrong color for text so that the text becomes invisible against the background. But wouthout seeing the page in question, then anything is just a guess.

View Latest Entries