Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Sunday, 6 November 2005
Download PDF file from site?
Hi,
How would I go about making it possible for someone to download a pdf file from my site?
I can work out how to get the file to open on the site, but I'd like it to be download capable.
Thanks, George.

Posted by trek/nz_usa at 9:52 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post

Monday, 7 November 2005 - 12:11 AM EST

Name: tom

RE: Download Capable

Of course, the surfer must have Adobe Acrobat installed on their computer, in order to view the PDF file. May I suggest that you also convert the content into HTML format, for the convenience of those, who may not be PDF friendly.

Monday, 7 November 2005 - 11:50 AM EST

Name: dalleh

you can pack it in a zip file? or ask your guest to press Shift while clicking on the pdf link. this will make the windows popup asking what do you want to do with the file.

Monday, 7 November 2005 - 11:54 AM EST

Name: cw

Hi geo :) Upload the file and create a text link to it as you would any other link. Then instruct visitor's to right click and 'save as' to their desktop.

Most browsers come with Adobe Reader so the file should be readable on line as well. The open file can also be saved from the browser using the same "save as" mouse option.

The link code might look something like this

<a href="some_file.pdf">My pdf </a> Right click and save to your desktop

You could also link to the Adobe site where AR can be downloaded for free, just in case someone needs a pdf reader.

Tuesday, 8 November 2005 - 5:06 AM EST

Thanks for the replies and advice, (Hi cw!)
Appreciate the help.
Cheers, Geo.

View Latest Entries