Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 17 May 2005
marylee
Mood:  don't ask
Topic: FrontPage
I have a problem, I tried to build a second set of web pages because I had so much space and it has overwritten my first web pages so that I can't bring them up on my regular web page address HELP!!!!

Posted by or/maryleespage at 12:57 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 17 May 2005 - 9:01 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo

you have written over your index.html page ....you should have only one index.html page, Now the new page has taken over as the index.html page....your new page should have been named differently like index-2.html or something....
you can't get the old one back. that's why it is good make backups or copies

check out web archive org to see if this is what you had, but this one is from 2002

http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.angelfire.com/or/maryleespage/

Tuesday, 17 May 2005 - 9:41 PM EDT

Name: tom

There is also a 'cached' version of the index page
@ Google....which will be more recent than 2002.

This will be found at URL:
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:5eqaLrW6yYQJ:www.angelfire.com/or/maryleespage/+or/maryleespage&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Tuesday, 17 May 2005 - 10:10 PM EDT

Name: mamagoo again

marylee,
I just noticed that you have a working index.htm page?? is that the one you want as your homepage url?
when you have two files like that the index.html will load as your default homepage the index.htm only works as the default if there is no index.html....

if that 's the case and you want the index.htm page as your page that answers to your angelfire URL name then what you have to do is first, make a copy(duplicate) of the excisting index.html page so that you don't loose it and then rename your index.htm page(if this is the one you want) rename it to index.html

ok?

Wednesday, 18 May 2005 - 9:48 AM EDT

Name: cw

marylee- you've gotten some good advice all around. One thing I want to add is that if you're trying to build a second site it belongs in it's own subdirectory... so first create a new subdirectory to contain the new site then move or reupload the new site files into it. It does sounds like part of the problem is 2 slightly differently named index pages. If that's the case, once the new index page (index.html???) is moved out of the root directory into it's own subdirectory, the old one (index.htm??) should start working in the root directory again.

hope that helps and doesn't add confusion :)

View Latest Entries