Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

Newer | Latest | Older

Saturday, 7 May 2005
Editing Advanced Blog Settings
Mood:  a-ok
Topic: HTML Questions
HI
I'm trying to edit the main page of my advanced blog settings. I'm normally ok about this stuff and know what to look for and what not. However, there is a little problem. This week when I went in to change a few things I came into a whole bunch of garbage that looks like chinese characteristics. I don't know what happened. I just added a background and all of a sudden this has happened.
I think I might have to contact customer service for this but if anyone knows how to fix this I'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced...

wohoo 800 postings

Posted by Holli at 1:22 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Changing link font color
Mood:  smelly
Now Playing: the sound of my hard drive
ok, this may seem like a total stupid question, but here goes.
I am using the blog builder thingie which is quite nice and i am trying to use the change appearance feature. ok. so i try to do a custome hex # color for my fonts, but it doesn't seem to be working because i am still getting the default color, which is red and clashes terribly with my nice orange background color for my links area. if anyone could help me out, i would appreciate it as this is my first ever blog and I don't want to get frustrated yet. lol. thanks
my url is
angelfire.com/poetry/mchootch

Posted by poetry/mchootch at 5:12 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
images on site
Mood:  down
Topic: Image Questions
Hi! I am new to this. I have started a website. I have a webshell going. My problem is I want to put a program on my site, which I have done, I cut and pasted it. but now when I go to view it. For the images I get boxes with red X in them. I can't get the pictures I have in my images directory into the spaces already designed in the program. Could someone please advise? Thanks.

Posted by hi5/kidstop at 12:38 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (20) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 5 May 2005
The Big Event The Moving Wall
Mood:  down
Now Playing: Everything gone from index.html What happen?
https://www.angelfire.com/falcon/botwnomadsbigevent/

How do I get content of index.html back?
Everything is gone.

Posted by falcon/botwnomadsbigevent at 9:10 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
TOTALLY INADEQUATE RESPONSES from HELP
Mood:  sad
Is there a way around ROBOT replies? I have an old blog I thought hadn't gone up; to my horror I find it's there, unformatted. All attempts to access it and kill it are answered with the same inadequate robot replies. Can't even get to it when I sign into Angelfire (finally figured out my old name and password, thank God) because there is no search among the categories of blogs.

Posted by falcon/hermitsynaxis at 4:58 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
what i got is what u want
Mood:  cool
Now Playing: angelbaby17
Topic: Jokes & Fun
have fun

Posted by crazy4/angelbaby_me at 1:58 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (10) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 4 May 2005

Now Playing: https://www.angelfire.com/crazy4/afmcflorida
Topic: FrontPage
for some reason the buttons images for my nav bar aren't showing up. The images are there, I double checked and re-uploaded the image files just to be sure and still not showing up. The rest of the page's images seems to be there any ideas on what the problem could be?

The nav bar it's self seems to work, if you hold your cursor over the image place marks and click it takes you to the other pages.

Also the pages seem to take an awful long time to load, and I'm on broadband. I've used both IE and Mozilla.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to get these images to show up.

Posted by crazy4/afmcflorida at 3:47 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 3 May 2005

Topic: News
The Angelfire Team has released an update today which should improve performance significantly in the builder tools, the member directory, and the other top level features. (The big blogs performance improvement was last week.) This release also includes the standard run of bug fixes and little tweaks.

This update should be largely invisible to members. If you see any new problems today, please respond in this thread and we'll get to work on fixing them.

In the meantime, I hope members have had a chance to check out the new commenting and customization features in the Photo Album tool which we released last week. We're always looking for feedback on our new features.

Thanks!

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 4:28 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post

Mood:  irritated
Now Playing: The Police
I have just created a website for the bar I work at. They "booted me off because, in their wrods, The thought I was "storing files". I have no clue wha they are talking about. I read and read but the only thing that I could come up with was that I am missing "html" on my files. I do have links to photo albums that I think need "html" behind the name of the photo album but I am not sure if that's what I need to do to keep m site up. Someone please help.

Thank you for contacting the Lycos Network Abuse Department.

Your account was closed because our system saw that you had no html
files in your directory and assumed you were simply storing files. I
have reinstated your account with a 72 hour grace period so that you may
continue to develop your site. Also, be sure that ALL of your files
include a valid file extension, or you run the risk of this happening
again. Thank you for your cooperation.

This is what the exact email read.
Thanks in advance to whom ever can help me.
Romi

Posted by pop2/cozmos at 12:43 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
I don't seem to find an answer anywhere
Mood:  blue
Help! When I first log in and go to Webshell, I'm getting an error message written in red just underneath File Management which says "The file(s) already exists and you did not ask to overwrite it." I can't seem to find any information anywhere in Angelfire Help to fix whatever the problem is that causes this message to be displayed on my Webshell page. For a while, I could enter the name of the site I've been working on into the Google Search engine and pull up 2 different Angelfire urls of my website. The first one I clicked on brought up just a incomplete homepage and does not link to anymore pages. The next site was indented around five spaces just underneath the first one and when I clicked on it, I pulled up the site I have been working on. Now neither of the site are showing up when I enter the name of my site into the Google Search Engine. The site I am working on is a free one with the url of anglefire/art3/hpbrubyjeanie. The url of the top site was something like angelfire/misscott/hpbrubyjeanie. Can anyone tell me how to fix this so the error message goes anyway and everything is staightened out. Thanks

Posted by art3/hpbrubyjeanie at 1:08 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (8) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 2 May 2005
Photo album probs
Topic: Image Questions
hi everyone...
I'm having major probs with the photo builder, I had made the album, however the images needed some fixing, so I fixed em on my PC and uploaded them and deleted the old ones. after running the program I got an error msg. now after 2 days i still cant access the album builder or the album itself...the msg on the album when opened says that the directive could not be processed!!!
I really need to put up those pictures...its some college work that I need to finish. and making a new account for the album would mean I wont be able to put in on my blog site!
HELPPPPPP!!!
anyone with answers can please email me at mariammamsa@hotmail.com

thank you

Posted by miam at 2:22 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 29 April 2005
Take a walk down memory lane...
This really brings back some memories (for me, but probably not for you). Here, thanks to archive.org, we have Angelfire's old "History of Angelfire" site. It's so terribly out of date now, but still a good read.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010208102520/angelfire.lycos.com/doc/history/index.html

Marvel at our stylish black Lycos headerbar! Gasp at our overuse of blue! Be amazed that we haven't changed the logo very much recently!

The old AF staff pages:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010331084018/angelfire.lycos.com/doc/about.html

The thing that surprises me looking at this stuff is the tongue-in-cheek style we did a lot of the stuff in... I wonder if we should be injecting more personality into the site these days. Amazingly, legos are still involved. (But the giant Power Puff Girl has now been replaced by a stuffed giraffe named Raffi. He was willing to work for minimum wage.)

I hope you enjoy those links. We might update and repost some of this stuff eventually.

What do you think?

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 12:15 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (12) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 28 April 2005

hey guys i need help with the link to my gallery and stuuf. when i put in the url at the editor and then click on the link on my page, there is a message that says the site cant be found

Posted by anime6/unistar at 10:45 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 27 April 2005
Sudden problem running perl script
Mood:  quizzical
I have a script that I have been running for a few months now on from my website to assist me in conducting a survey. The script is written in perl and I upgraded my Angelfire account to Neon so that I could run it. (Basic free accounts can't run homegrown CGI scripts.) All of a sudden, it's returning a "File Not Found - 404 message - errorcode 400" but if I change the name of the file from .pl to .pm or even .PL (and change the corresponding call on my index.html), it displays the text so I know it's finding the file. The script was working up until a week or two ago! Has anyone else suddenly lost the ability to run perl from their website?

Posted by folk/timhadfield at 6:18 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Angelfire Update
The Angelfire Team has completed the maintenance today which includes a number of new features:

1. Angelfire Blogs has been updated to be more responsive and to fix several known bugs. It's a big under-the-hood overhaul so there may yet be some bugs to shake out but it looks good so far.

2. Angelfire Photo Albums has been given a major update. We now support "advanced customization" similar to with the Blogs tool. In addition, you can now enable commenting on your images with the same level of comment moderation as is supported on Blogs.

3. New members to Angelfire will now go through a slightly different flow which ends with allowing them to select what build tool to use.

4. Microsoft FrontPage extensions are now enabled by default for all new accounts. Existing members will still have to activate on their "My Account" page.

5. The backend for the old Angelfire counter has been updated to now spit out PNG images.

6. Various other internal updates.

If you see any problems on the site today, please respond in this thread. We really appreciate the time that members take to look over our new features and try to break them since it makes for a better product overall. I'll make sure that any comments in this thread get handed off to the appropiate people.

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 2:56 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 26 April 2005
Maintenance Today
Today, the Angelfire Team will be performing maintenance on the site, in order to improve blogs performance and to also add new features. During this maintenance, users will be unable to post comments or new entries on blogs for approximately 30 minutes. We apologize for this inconvenience as we move the blogs onto the new backend system.

I'll make a larger post later on this afternoon with information about the changes. If anyone is willing to help test (basicially, just use all the features of the site and let us know if you find any problems), that is always appreciated.

As always, if you see any problems please respond in this thread.

UPDATE: The maintenance has been moved to Wednesday morning. We will make a followup post when it is completed.

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 8:54 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Wednesday, 27 April 2005 11:13 AM EDT
Monday, 25 April 2005
Web shell is a blank frame
I am a mac user and when I try to use the web shell, the page loads, but the main frame is all white. Text, links, buttons... everything is white. The mouse changes when I move over links, but I can't see anything. The older web shell never had this problem. I sent requests several times, but no response. Any clues? Bench

Posted by mb2/mbench at 10:02 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Links don't work
Mood:  not sure
I have an angelfire free website and I cannot add links to my favorite sites to share with others. A search not found page shows up instead of the intended website. What do I do to correct this.

Posted by magic2/rosemarysage at 1:23 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Front page extensions not acceptable, can't edit
Mood:  crushed out
I followed the instructions to make editing my site possible with FrontPage 2000, but when I try to "publish to web" I am told I have to get permission from my page provider to use FrontPage extensions. I then run the activate Front Page editing protocol and get the same message again. What am I getting wrong?
tv2/videoheads

Posted by tv2/videoheads at 9:24 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 24 April 2005
Browser Scroll
HI

I copy and pasted a browser scroll script from lycos and it worked fine for a few days. It has come upon 2 days that it has not worked. I did not modify it after I added it on my site. I don't know why it will no longer work. Is anyone having difficulty with your scroll browsing. It is not working on my puter right now. But if someone could take a look and let me know whether or not it does for you. If anyone can give me a solution please send it my way.

Thank you

Website URL: www.theciminis.com

Posted by pa5/darlyn at 12:59 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older