Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Friday, 13 May 2005
Hi I need blog help please
Now Playing: news
Topic: HTML Questions
This is what I'm dealing with. I tried to go into my BLOG ADVANCED SETTINGS TO MAIN LAYOUT to add a background to my blog and this is what happened the next day when I went to change my background... This has been like this for a week...

https://www.angelfire.com/fl5/afloridagal/sample.html

I was told it should be fixed by today but I'm a little anxious...

Thanks in advance...
Holli

Posted by Holli at 6:14 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (10) | Permalink | Share This Post

Friday, 13 May 2005 - 7:19 PM EDT

Name: md/jdfaq

mine showed normal this is the code if you want to restart

<html>
<head>
<title><BLOG_VAR BLOG_TITLE></title>
<BLOG_CMP STYLESHEET>
<style type="text/css">
#center {
margin: 10px 10px 10px 210px;
}

#panel {
position: absolute;
left: 0;
padding: 0 20px;
width: 180px;
}
</style>
<BLOG_CMP METATAGS>
</head>
<body id="_top">
<div class="panelBackground" id="panel">
<BLOG_CMP STANDARD_LINKS>
<BLOG_CMP CALENDAR>
<BLOG_CMP TOPICNAV>
<BLOG_CMP EXTRA>
<BLOG_CMP LINKS>
</div>
<div id="center">
<div class="divide">
<span class="blogTitle"><BLOG_VAR BLOG_TITLE></span>
</div>
<BLOG_CMP ENTRIES>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Friday, 13 May 2005 - 8:41 PM EDT

Name: Holli
Home Page: http://www.afloridagal.com

Thanks, but I'd like the Angel Team to fix it... I just might be impatient.. Just wasnt sure if anyone else had any answers.

Friday, 13 May 2005 - 9:08 PM EDT

Name: cw

Try something really simple. Delete the gif file you uploaded for your background. It's corrupted and that's what's causing what looks like nonesense characters. You're viewing the code for the gif.

Did you upload that by FTP? It looks like it was uploaded in the wrong mode. Once the image file has been deleted, try loading the page again. You may need to clear the cache first to see the changes.

hope that helps

Friday, 13 May 2005 - 9:11 PM EDT

Is it possible you uploaded the background image file without including the .gif extension in it's name? That might cause the same type of problem. Check the file name.

Friday, 13 May 2005 - 11:20 PM EDT

Name: jrp34

I'm not the one looking at fixing this, but it looks to me from the screenshot that you uploaded the background image as one of your template files. (Is there an upload option there?) Clearly, we need to do a better job of filtering.

The "Chinese" characters you see there are just the binary representation of the file. Usuaully binary files have a tag in the beginning to tell what they are and you can see the GIF tag at the top there.

I'd say upload a new template over that one (maybe the one from jdfaq) and you should be golden. The team should add some error checking to make sure you can only upload text as a template... I can't imagine browsers are very happy with that.

JP

Saturday, 14 May 2005 - 7:52 AM EDT

Home Page: http://www.afloridagal.com

All I did was copy and paste a background for a background, and added the link in there. Didn't upload a picture to that. Just text only. And the next day I got that. Usually I'm ok about stuff such as basic html and where things go. It's not hard to read directions. But the fact it hasn't been fixed is making me anxious.
Thanks everyone for helping.

Saturday, 14 May 2005 - 1:05 PM EDT

holli- Did you check the name of the BG file or try deleting it? I think the problem is with that image itself and not the blog template. If you delete the image, the "chinese characters" should disappear.

Saturday, 14 May 2005 - 1:47 PM EDT

After re-reading your post I'm really confused. I understand you added the code for an image but where is the image file for the BG being stored? You'd need to upload the image to your account and also add the html code that calls for it to display on your page. That means a 2 step process at least. What is the name of the BG image and what is it's URL? Can you view the image from it's URL? If you can, there must be an error in the code you addded to the template. Deleteing the image file if it's within your account should help I think.

It's the weekend so you may not see support come in to fix your blog until Monday. You can fix it yourself if you use the code dalleh left or simply start a test blog that uses the same template for the one that needs to be fixed. From there you can go to a never touched copy of the bad template at the new blog. Copy it all and use it as a total replacement for the template you botched.

Sunday, 15 May 2005 - 9:54 AM EDT

Hi cw
If I copy dalleh's post, will I lose my blog? And the entries that I have in it?

I think the image I had came from my account at photobucket.

Monday, 16 May 2005 - 10:31 AM EDT

First I'd change the name of, or delete the image you're using from photobucket so it doesn't display on your blog template. Hoping here that you'll be able to edit the template code once you stop the image coding from displaying. That should be a lot easier than replacing the whole template.

If you need to replace the template you shouldn't lose your entries. I've done some awful things to templates at my tripod blogs that required their replacement and never lost entries once.

View Latest Entries