Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Wednesday, 11 May 2005
embed/loop problem
Mood:  quizzical
For background sound on my website, I have an "embed" code with "loop=true." This should play the item continuously. However, it usually plays once, then has an ugly pause of 20-30 seconds, during which the mouse command is frozen. Then, it starts again, freeing the mouse. On occasion, it may play two or three times in a row, then again, it may pause. Is there anything I can do to have it play really continuously? Thanks for any help. Lou. (This blog seems to attract only super-nice people, this gives me the courage to ask a question.)

Posted by mt/ollgf at 9:52 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (9) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Wednesday, 11 May 2005 9:54 PM EDT

Wednesday, 11 May 2005 - 10:28 PM EDT

Name: dalleh

I think it is your system doing it.

Thursday, 12 May 2005 - 7:24 AM EDT

Name: fl5/afloridagal

Just a little quick tip when adding music. Most people have their mp3 playing while surfing. And it would interfer (spelling) with their music and may have speakers up loudly. I've found web pages that don't have a stop button for their music, rather annoying. It takes awhile for dial up users to download and the stop button is a big blus :)

Thursday, 12 May 2005 - 8:47 AM EDT

Name: Mike

Counter attack to what Floridagal said. Agreed, most people are listening to music while surfing, however, you don't need a "stop" button.

A simple keystroke on the "Esc" key will get it to stop, in most cases, and in most browsers. As much as you "like" the idea of having a song play on your webpage, the "embedded" mp3s can get to be a bit 'much', if you know what I mean.

Mike
Customer Support - Lycos Webhosting

Thursday, 12 May 2005 - 10:07 AM EDT

Name: cw

Your file plays fine here with no pauses or skips. If you happen to have a slow connection, the erratic play may have to do with interference while your image files download. If you think that's the case, try optimizing the images to make them load faster. You should be able to downsize them to 15-20 KB each.

I saw on your site that you lost some pages. If you work fast you may be able to retrieve them from googles cache of your site. I saw them there today using mt/ollgf/ as the search term. Click on the link for 'cached' under the page listing then save it to your pc.

I have to agree about adding a music controller so that music can be turned off from the page. The escape key option Mike mentioned doesn't work in my Mac Netscape browser so it may just be a Windows or IE trick. Since it doesn't work for everyone, having the controls on the page and easily accessible might be a better option.

Thursday, 12 May 2005 - 6:17 PM EDT

Name: Lou

Thank you very much for your interest. I indeed "lost" the webshell just like that, after having uploaded some pictures, index.html showed zero content. Tech support said, their server never deletes anything. After initial frustration (anger?), I looked at this as an "opportunity," and set out to rebuild the entire page. That's where we are right now.- The background music is only on when the two main pages show, but usually a person would go right on to the sub-pages, where there is no music. I'm glad the sound played for you all right, so it must be my own computer. I do have a very fast connection, though. THANKS AGAIN, Lou.

Thursday, 12 May 2005 - 6:28 PM EDT

Thank you, Mike! Lou.

Thursday, 12 May 2005 - 6:29 PM EDT

Thanks indeed, I appreciate all this information. Lou.

Thursday, 12 May 2005 - 6:30 PM EDT

I think so, too, since the sound seems all right on other computers. Don't know, though, what it might be. Thanks! Lou.

Friday, 13 May 2005 - 3:57 PM EDT

Name: Holli
Home Page: http://www.afloridagal.com

Thanks Mike for adding that INFO...

There were few pages that you can also use the stop button at the top but if the pages have animations, that makes everything stop... =[
Feel free to ask me for any questions. I'm ok with basic html advanced eh not so much.

Take care.

View Latest Entries