Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 3 May 2005
I don't seem to find an answer anywhere
Mood:  blue
Help! When I first log in and go to Webshell, I'm getting an error message written in red just underneath File Management which says "The file(s) already exists and you did not ask to overwrite it." I can't seem to find any information anywhere in Angelfire Help to fix whatever the problem is that causes this message to be displayed on my Webshell page. For a while, I could enter the name of the site I've been working on into the Google Search engine and pull up 2 different Angelfire urls of my website. The first one I clicked on brought up just a incomplete homepage and does not link to anymore pages. The next site was indented around five spaces just underneath the first one and when I clicked on it, I pulled up the site I have been working on. Now neither of the site are showing up when I enter the name of my site into the Google Search Engine. The site I am working on is a free one with the url of anglefire/art3/hpbrubyjeanie. The url of the top site was something like angelfire/misscott/hpbrubyjeanie. Can anyone tell me how to fix this so the error message goes anyway and everything is staightened out. Thanks

Posted by art3/hpbrubyjeanie at 1:08 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (8) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 3 May 2005 - 2:38 AM EDT

Name: mamagoo

This one is coming up as your main site
https://www.angelfire.com/art3/hpbrubyjeanie/

all the pages work fine there for me

I'm not getting anythig for this name
angelfire.com/misscott/hpbrubyjeanie

not sure why your getting that error message in the web shell maybe someone from support will be here to help you out
but it sounds like maybe an incomplete task upon saving a file......but be careful as to how you handle that, you don't want to overwrite your index.html file or other page files......
did anything ever happen that was unusual when you edited and saved any files the last time? like a browser crash or anything.....

It might be a good idea to backup and save your site via FTP, until you know for sure what is happening.....

do the files all seem to be all there? can you edit files that are there?

for now you could try cleaning your Internet browser cache(temporary internet files) and cookies from your browser, then log out of angelfire and log back in...see if that does away with the error....
also clean your computer using spybot and adaware applicaitons

try another broswer like netscape or mozilla if your using IE or visa versa......

write support about that...and also check back here to see if someone from AF support see's this post.....

wish I could be more help

Thursday, 5 May 2005 - 10:59 AM EDT

Name: cw

To be seeing that message when you first log in and go to the web shell (especially if you haven't performed an operation within the webshell except to log in) makes me think you're seeing a cached page. Try clearing your browser cache.

Friday, 6 May 2005 - 1:05 AM EDT

Name: Ruby
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/art3/hpbrubyjeanie

I tryed cleaning out my cache and I still get the message. I'm trying some other stuff suggested. I found the link that brings up the unfinished homepage which is not presently in my webshell. It is www.angelfire.com/alt/missscott/Homepage.htm I just tryed it and it brings it up. The homepage that I have in my webshell is "index.html" not "Homepage.html". I think maybe I must have first loaded my homepage into webshell with it titled "Homepage.html and changed it to "index.html". I remember valuely something about seeing the alt/missscott as a choice I first choose for a for my angelfire website, and I remember having to choose again for some reason, and I choose the art3/hpbyrubyjeanie. I feel like this could be way I'm getting the error message but I'm sure how to fix the problem? What do you suggest? Thanks

Friday, 6 May 2005 - 1:32 AM EDT

Name: art3/hpbrubyjeanie
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/art3/hpbyrubyjeanie

I also can edit every file that is currently in my webshell. There is no sign of the name alt/missscott/Homepage.html on my webshell page or in any files that are in my webshell so I can't delete it or do anything with it.

Friday, 6 May 2005 - 2:15 AM EDT

Name: mamagoo

I have been contemplating whether or not to suggest anything....LOL
this is a new one for me, and it sounds like an AF tech would have to look into it....
Have you contacted them?

see if you can log into AF using the name
alt/missscott
as the user name....
because your hompage.htm page is coming from there....

if there happens to be a webshell for that name then the homepage.htm page should be in there....
but still in all, that would be like having 2 user accounts and I can't see how the two would be interferring with each other, if that is the case.
but then again I would hate to see you delete that homepage.htm if it's there and then have it affect your working pages in the other webshell...

I am no tech, just a member here, I also have my site at tripod and just a temporary one here at angelfire so I seldom work in the webshell but I was trying to put myself in your place as to what i would do....

one thing for sure is I hope that you have your files saved to your local computer, just in case something goes wrong. it would be a shame to loose your files if for some reason the webshell/webshells are corrupted....

I can' figure out what file it means when it says that "The file(s) already exists and you did not ask to overwrite it."
overwrite is a scary word for me...LOL....I would hate to suggest soemthing and have that happen....especially if the overwrite goes to the unwanted files.....

as long as your site is working right now, maybe you should just wait and have an AF tech look into it....

Cris who also replied to you here is very good at figuring things out and she may have more to add after she see's what you've added
or you could do a new post here and title it Attn:Jp, Mike
and also like i said write support by e-mail and see if you get anything from them.....

best of luck, and for sure when you do get results please let us know what it was all about....

Friday, 6 May 2005 - 8:34 AM EDT

I think mamagoo has this figured out pretty well rubyjeanie. You have 2 separate accounts under 2 different member names ('art3/hpbrubyjeanie' and 'alt/missscott'). The red error message you're seeing in your 'art3/hpbrubyjeanie' webshell has nothing to do with the other 'alt/missscott' account so don't get side tracked about the two different homepages.

That red message usually appears when you try to upload a file with the same name as one that has already been uploaded. Have you tried uploading another file? Any file- maybe just a small graphic you've grabbed off the net. Make sure it has it's own unique name and see what happens. I'm hoping uploading something new will take the red message away. If not, contact support to see if there's anything they can do or if they have an explanation.

now for the second problem- Multiple free accounts. I would definitely try to delete or change the alt/misscott site since that is the incomplete one. It's possible both your sites were removed from google because of it since both pages look exactly the same with duplicate content. Google doesn't like mirror sites like that and may consider it spamming. Also you run the risk of having one or both sites purged by AF since it's technically one free site per person. They did that a few weeks back to some blatant abusers. You don't fit into the blatant abuser category but you never know what might happen. Make sure to back up your good site files to your pc ASAP.

good luck!

Saturday, 7 May 2005 - 11:18 PM EDT

Name: art3/hpbrubyjeanie
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/art3/hpbrubyjeanie

I've have noticed that ads are on the incomplete homepage entitled alt/missscott/Homepage.html. The index.html page from my webshell has no adds when I first click into the website but all the other pages have ads when you click around in the entire website. I remember that when I first starting using the webshell I think I uploaded my entire website file from my C drive into the webshell. The homepage in that file was entitled Homepage.html. I may have renamed that page index.html and deleted the index html which came in the webshell at the beginning. I've looked around in the webshell and find no duplicate files. I also have a vague memory of trying to change my member name from the alt/missscott to the art3/hpbrubyjeanie. The only thing else I can add is "how do I get in touch with support"? I don't seem to find an email address or anything anywhere in the Angelfire Website to use to get in touch with support. Thanks, Rubyjeanie

Sunday, 8 May 2005 - 5:04 PM EDT

You *won't* see duplicate files in the same directory- that's what the red message means. Only one file of the same name can be uploaded. If you try to reupload an existing file by trhe same name to the same directory then you'll see the red message. (You can choose to overwrite files by checking the overwrite box in the upload screen if you wish).

Did you try what I suggested before -to upload something else just as a test to see if the red message disappears? If that doesn't work, contact support through the link at the end of any AF help question. To reach them, click the help link at the right top of this blog, then click the AF help link from there. You should see some common questions and links to more help categories. Click any question to reach a help form. As a free account owner you may need to be patient for a response.

View Latest Entries