Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

Newer | Latest | Older

Friday, 19 October 2007
A public service announcement: Check your debit cards
Now Playing: Red Sox vs Indians, Game 5
Topic: News

Dear Angelfire Users,

Lycos has received reports that bank-issued VISA debit card numbers may have been compromised at an unknown merchant, prompting banks to close those debit card accounts.  This situation has nothing to do with Angelfire, Tripod, HTML Gear, or Lycos, but please do the following:

(1) Check your bank statements for any potentially fraudulent activity;

(2) Check to make sure your account has not been closed unexpectedly;

and

(3) If the Visa debit card you are using to pay for Angelfire, Tripod, HTML Gear, Lycos Domains, or Lycos Mail service has been unexpectedly closed, update your billing information with a new card number so that you do not lose your premium service.

Thank you for your attention,
The Friendly Folks at Angelfire

Posted by press at 12:01 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 27 September 2007
GuestGear users - now with less spam
Mood:  a-ok

Howdy - For those of you who have an HTML Gear GuestGear, you may notice that we've automatically removed a number of spam comments from you guestbook. Thanks to the fine work by JP and others here at Angelfire, we were able to successfully identify and remove the spam without deleting legit comments.

Much harder to do than it sounds, given all of the permutations - but well figured and tested. That said, if you find that some legit comments have been deleted from your GuestGear, please file a ticket with the Help Desk. So far, we've had no false positives reported, but we'll address any that are brought to our attention.

Thanks. 

-Jamie

Posted by Jamie at 2:16 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 25 September 2007
Hello

I just wanted to stop by and say hello.

My Blog is located @ http://arsmithministries.angelfire.com/

Our U.S.Site is located @ http://www.ourchurch.com/member/a/arsmithsermons/

Juanita and I have come a far distance in our walk with God.Thru sickness, Illness and Tribulations, we still trust the one who created all things visiable and invisiable. In 1999,I was pronounced Dead of a massive Heart attack, God in His mercy, rased me up to continue my ministry.I have suffered 2 Heart attacks, cancer, Reflux Sympothetic Distrophy and Diabeties. I Trust in God. We are here to serve you any way we can.Please dont hesitate to contact us. We all have a journey to walk, so why cant we walk together?

Posted by arsmithministries at 5:54 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 28 June 2007
Angelfire Updates

This afternoon, the Angelfire Team released several major (and long-due) changes to the site.

Most obviously, the Angelfire Blog software has been updated to a newer version than that which is running on our sister site, Tripod. This release includes a new flow for making comments and entries, an improved text editor with WYSIWYG editing, and other improvements. This text editor is newer than the one currently on Tripod and should work for Safari users and others that had difficulty there.

We've also updated the MS FrontPage support a bit to make it harder for spammers to attack MS FrontPage messageboards. We're going to try and clean up some of the spam posts that users have complained about, though this may not be right away. (It's a tricky thing to do correctly.)

Domain assignment logic has now been cleaned up and there is now a configuration option for perferred domains, etc. on your My Account pages.

There were some hiccups during the day and some bugs do remain for some blogs. The team is working on delivering a fix ASAP. If you have any issues, you can leave a comment here and I'll make sure your problems are sent right up to our development team. 

Posted by ma3/jpranevich at 7:29 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (23) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 11 May 2007
Bug Angelfire Update
Angelfire has had a major backend update this week which will be big news for new members, though doesn't immediately affect current members.

From this point on, all new member accounts will be "normal" membernames (without the weird prefixes) and those accounts will have a URL of membername.angelfire.com. So, if you went and signed up today for an account named "supertoby", you'd have a URL of "supertoby.angelfire.com". That's pretty nice.

Current members will continue to work exact as they have worked before, without change. We also presently don't have any way of transferring an account from the old style name (www.angelfire.com/prefix/name) to the new style name, but you can create a new account and transfer over your files yourself. (We may someday offer this, but currently there are a number of bugs in the process and we don't want to expose any members to the risks.)

The club was down for a day as the new software was clashing with "club.angelfire.com", thinking that "club" was its membername. We've corrected the bug.

If you see any problems, please respond in this thread and I will raise them to the appropiate people.

Posted by ma3/jpranevich at 6:48 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 5 May 2007
Testing using Firefox
Testing using Firefox, played with the date

Posted by dalleh at 12:01 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 4 March 2007
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SIRN8TIVE1
Now Playing: MY SHIT
PROMITING MY NEW N8TIVE HIP HOP RAP SITE CHECK IT OUT

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SIRN8TIVE1

Posted by hiphop3/n8tive0 at 10:12 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 2 January 2007
The Blog manager is back
The blog manager is back,
I need help testing this frame page

https://www.angelfire.com/wi/dalleh/

it loads fine with firefox and IE7 but it won't load in netscape 7 or netscape 8.

thanks,
dalleh

Posted by dalleh at 6:54 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 1 January 2007
Banner & Pop-up Saturation
Mood:  crushed out
Happy New Year 2007!

Has anyone else noticed the insupportable amount of banner ads and pop-up windows, mow being employed on
ad-supported Angelfire & Tripod websites?

It has gotten to the point where, the pages don't even download properly [on dial-up]; the member's page content, having to compete with the numerous animated banners and pop-ups.

Do the people at Lycos honestly believe that they will entice folks into signing up for paid websites, by subjecting visitors to this onslaught?

Why does this remind me of a farmer beating a dead horse?

Posted by co/begumnoor at 8:10 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 22 December 2006
Season's Greetings !
Mood:  celebratory

Firstly, I would like to wish all Administrators and visitors to the Angelfire Club Blog a peaceful and Happy Holiday Season.

Then, I would like to congratulate the Lycos Team, for installing the image verification system on their HTML Gear Guestbooks.

I posted a message about this very subject, on the A/F Blog, on October 31, 2006, as follows:

"Lately I have noticed a 'sharp increase' in the number of ROBO-SPAM postings on my HTML Gear Guestbook, and was wondering if Lycos is cosnsidering installing 'image verification' for posts, in order to reduce this annoying spam."

Of course, I am not naive enough to believe that my posting was responsible for Tripod's actions; which have probably been in the planning stage for a long time; but I like to think that maybe it helped a little. :)

Posted by me2/kulacoco at 3:14 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 27 July 2006
Web Rings and Guest Books
Mood:  not sure
Now Playing: https://www.angelfire.com/planet/richardsmusicpages
Hi,

I'm a new Angelfire member and needed help on a few questions, so that I'm sure to be in compliance with Angelfire's rules, regulations and terms of service. Are Angelfire page members allowed to put their pages on a "Webring" and provide "Guestbooks" for visitors.

Since "rings" and "books" mean posting codes from other sources, does Angelfire not allow it?

My experiences with other service, they didn't allow such "outside" code or "directing" of web traffic.

Thanks for your help. I've searched though the help and terms section, but I can't find anything on these subjects. I'm sure its there, I'm just not looking in the right place.

Thanks for helping me out.
Richard
richardsmusicpages@yahoo.com

Posted by planet/richardsmusicpages at 11:17 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 17 July 2006
Updating my account from free to Argon
Mood:  on fire
I upgraded from FREE to Argon over a week ago. According to my account I'm still under the FREE account. Angelfire/Lycos has taken the money out my checking account... it's all been paid for, but I still don't have my domain registered or anything. Anyone else have this problem when they upgraded? I filled out an open question form twice. Once after 72 hours and another after 120 hours. WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG?

Posted by TaraShan at 12:21 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (14) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 17 June 2006
placed a blog and it's gone
Mood:  on fire
Now Playing: not right
feelin so down. Getting letters from my X again. They are taking sides. Where is the priest and high priest.

Posted by hi5/allaroundtheworld at 4:51 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 24 February 2006
To Angelfire staff
I need the help of the Angelfire staff here. I chose Angelfire to host my site for it's ease of use. I now find myself in a webmasters nightmare on .com street. Because I used Angelfire hosting I have serious search engine ranking issues. I was told Angelfire will not do a simple 301 permanent redirect to fix my problem of what search engines see as duplicate content.

For example: www.domain.com and domain.com are seen as duplicate content. Since I started using the Angelfire blog, its now a triple threat for duplicate content. In otherwords, the search engines see: www.domain.com - domain.com - and www.angelfire.com/me2/domain - as three separate url's and duplicate content.

Angelfire has been promising to fix the CGI bin problem since summer of 2005 when I first discovered the issue while trying to create banner rotators for my website. The CGI bin is only useful if you are using a free account. This makes absolutely no sense and is very unfair to paying customers like myself.

It's time for an upgrade Angelfire. My site is ranking poorly for duplicate content, and thieves and crooks are steeling my commission from my naked affiliate url's.

All I need to fix my situation is a permanent 301 redirect on both conical url's pointing to my www.domain.com url. I also need that CGI BIN problem fixed as soon as possible. I think I have been very patient up to this point.

Angelfire, I enjoy the service, otherwise I wouldn't be here using it. So please, lets get these issues taken care of. You'll have a whole bunch of happy webmasters if you do.

Posted by Daymon at 9:56 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 12 February 2006
Free Stat Counter
Now Playing: Honkytonk Badonkadonk
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know about a free counter that I found and added to my page. I had been looking for one that didn't place ads on my website, because I have enough of those already, and I finally found one. Anyway, you can put their counter on your page without ads (unless you opt to have one that sends you to their website) and, I found this to be the cool part, they also keep track of all kinds of information for you. They track hits, IP addresses, user paths, entry and exit pages, etc. The information is in easy to understand formats also. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out!!! But anyway, go check it out at www.statcounter.com I hope that someone can use this, I found it pretty cool myself LOL.

Posted by blog/donspage.com at 10:09 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Sunday, 12 February 2006 10:07 PM EST
Monday, 23 January 2006
Planet Maintenance Tonight
Angelfire Planet will be partially down for several hours for routine maintenance, late in the evening on Jan 23 to early morning on Jan 24. Log-in will be disabled during this time and any content changes made to your Planet during this period may be lost.

We apologize for any inconvenience this downtime may cause and we will work to keep the disruption to a minimum.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 2:55 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 6 December 2005
Blog Update / Fix
The Angelfire Team has released the first part of the fix to the "SCALAR" problem which members have reported seeing. This will prevent the problem from affecting any more users, but will not fix it for the users that are currently seeing the problem. We are working on fixing the affected accounts (the second part) individually right now.

If your account is affected, you can fix it yourself by going to the "Blog Manager" and changing one of your settings (for example, calendar layout) and then submitting. We will fix them all soon, but it might be faster for you if you do it yourself.

We have traced the problem primarily to blogs which have changed their settings since yesterday. Users that just post or comment would not have seen the problem. (Though, there may be some exceptions. I saw some commenting errors also that are related.)

If you continue to see any problems, please post a comment here and we'll investigate it.

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 11:59 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (7) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 3 December 2005
photos
Mood:  not sure
How do you go about putting up a page with a bunch of thumbnails, that will lead to the larger photos?
Do you have to upload a thumbnail picture and upload a larger picture? then link them to each other? Can that be done here or do I have to find a different site to upload my pictures?

Thanks in advance

Posted by ct3/michaelanthony24 at 8:04 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 23 November 2005
Angelfire Update & Planet Update
In our mad dash to get it all out the door by Thanksgiving, the Angelfire Team has released two site updates yesterday.

The first, visible primarily to new users, is that the registration flow has been simplified considerably. The list of "states" which can be signed up for has been trimmed to six and they have been unnumbed. We've also streamlined the process so that you don't get asked a million personal questions: all you need is an email address and a username and password. (If you sign up for a paid account, you still need to enter in the rest for billing and domain registration.)

The account "conversion" which I mentioned in the last update is still ongoing and if you see anything weird with your accounts, please let us know.

On the Planet side, we've completed a major update with a ton of bugs fixed, new surfaces (my favorite is the spider with the Santa hat on), free (open license) music, and more.

But most importantly, we've launched our "WISH AND WIN" contest where, if you create a new planet with a MyTV slideshow about your holiday wish-list, you could win iPods, XBOX 360s, or a TV. I don't know all of the rules because I'm not allowed to enter, but please check it out. There's a link to all of the information on the front-door of Planet.

And if you see any bugs in any of these things, please respond here and I'll get them reported. I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

JP

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 10:06 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 15 November 2005
Angelfire Update
The Angelfire Team is busy upgrading some behind-the-scenes parts of the site. This will involve a slow, but invisible, update of all member sites to our new storage system. (Although nothing will change immediately, this update will be used by future product features.) If you see any new problems over the next couple of days, or if there are problems with newly created accounts, please leave a message here and I'll make sure the issues are investigated. We do not anticipate any disruptions.

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 8:46 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older