Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Monday, 1 January 2007
Banner & Pop-up Saturation
Mood:  crushed out
Topic: News
Happy New Year 2007!

Has anyone else noticed the insupportable amount of banner ads and pop-up windows, mow being employed on
ad-supported Angelfire & Tripod websites?

It has gotten to the point where, the pages don't even download properly [on dial-up]; the member's page content, having to compete with the numerous animated banners and pop-ups.

Do the people at Lycos honestly believe that they will entice folks into signing up for paid websites, by subjecting visitors to this onslaught?

Why does this remind me of a farmer beating a dead horse?

Posted by co/begumnoor at 8:10 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post

Monday, 1 January 2007 - 10:35 AM EST

Name: co/begumnoor

RE: Previous posting

I wrote: "...the pages don't even download properly [on dial-up]"

Additional comment: In order to help with the download process, I added the height & width values, plus the
complete URL path, to all the images on my page, but this
did not seem to help.

The only way most of the images will fully download, is to
refresh the page.

I am contemplating, whether I should place a disclaimer on
top of my page, advising surfers on Dial-up connection, to
reload the URL, in order to properly view the page content.

What a drag!

Monday, 1 January 2007 - 1:36 PM EST

Name: dalleh

try to use differant browser than the one you are using. some of these popoups come from spy or ad ware on your system.

Monday, 1 January 2007 - 3:36 PM EST

Dalleh,

The pop-ups are not coming from my computer. they are coming from: ad.yieldmanager.com

I have had this A/F site since early 1999, and I've watched the ads increase with the passing years.

I think we have reached the saturation point...or maybe even beyond saturation.

Within reason, Ads are fine. Well-designed, attractive and interesting banner ads are most welcome on my pages.

Pop-ups I have never liked. Most modern browsers are blocking the standard variety; although there are some pop-ups which evade the pop-up blocker altogether.

ad.yieldmanager.com presents unbloackable pop-ups that tell you that your computer is too slow and needs a remedy. ....And other pop-ups that tell you that you have won a lap-top computer. Wow, thanks!

Such is life in the new millenium.

Monday, 1 January 2007 - 7:11 PM EST

Name: dalleh
Home Page: http://www.dalleh.com

I get the same ad on my site when I use IE. and I am sure I don't have that ad on my site. I don't get any ad when i use netscape

Wednesday, 3 January 2007 - 1:36 PM EST

Name: al4/cheapest-service

Ya know, Ive heard this kind of complaint dozens of times. Honestly, just cough up the 5 bucks if you don't want ads on your pages. Five dollars isn't going to break the bank.....trust me.

Thursday, 4 January 2007 - 1:48 AM EST

Methinks that you have missed the point.

In my initial posting, I wrote the following, about the saturation of pop-ups and banner ads: "Do the people at Lycos honestly believe that they will entice folks into signing up for paid websites, by subjecting visitors to this onslaught?"

Let me further clarify my point, with the following scenario:

A young person creates a website at Angelfire, only to
find that visitors to his/her site are subjected to
a barrage of intrusive advertising.

Is this same person going to be keen on upgrading to a paid site, hosted by Angelfire, when he/she eventually has the five bucks a month to spend?

As mentioned, I understand fully the concept of ad-supported websites, however there is also the case of over-doing a good thing with too many banner ads & pop-up windows. It is like killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

View Latest Entries