Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Saturday, 12 February 2011
FTP login with FileZilla

I had been using FileZilla (v3.3.5.1) for sometime to access my web contents. All of a sudden, the login is not working. Don't know if this corresponds to angelfire/lycos requiring a password change recently.

Are there some preferred settings for FileZilla? I use my credentials to login to webshell, so those are OK. Following is the FileZilla dialog if this makes sense to anybody.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220 Welcome to Angelfire FTP.

Command: USER blog/wpsatschool

Response: 331 Username set to blog/wpsatschool. Now enter your password.

Command: PASS *********

Response: 230- Welcome to Angelfire's FTP server.

Response: 230-

Response: 230- For more info, see the FTP FAQ at

Response: 230- http://help.lycos.com/angelfire/a_q_22.asp

Response: 230 User 'blog/wpsatschool' logged on.

Command: SYST

Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8

Command: FEAT

Response: 500 Command 'FEAT' not understood

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/" is current directory.

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Type set to 'I' (IMAGE aka BINARY).

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (209,202,252,42,5,168)

Command: LIST

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Posted by blog/wpsatschool at 9:29 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (10) | Permalink | Share This Post

Saturday, 12 February 2011 - 11:22 AM EST

Name: "Chris Perkins"
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dnd3e/

I've had the same problem for a few days and, so far, have had no help from Angelfire.  I'd appreciated an help here.

Here's what I'm getting from FileZilla:

Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:    220 Welcome to Angelfire FTP.
Command:    AUTH TLS
Response:    500 Command 'AUTH' not understood
Command:    AUTH SSL
Response:    500 Command 'AUTH' not understood
Command:    USER rpg2/dnd3e
Response:    331 Username set to rpg2/dnd3e. Now enter your password.
Command:    PASS *******
Response:    230- Welcome to Angelfire's FTP server.
Response:    230-
Response:    230- For more info, see the FTP FAQ at
Response:    230- http://help.lycos.com/angelfire/a_q_22.asp
Response:    230 User 'rpg2/dnd3e' logged on.
Command:    SYST
Response:    215 UNIX Type: L8
Command:    FEAT
Response:    500 Command 'FEAT' not understood
Command:    PBSZ 0
Response:    500 Command 'PBSZ' not understood
Command:    PROT P
Response:    500 Command 'PROT' not understood
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is current directory.
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 Type set to 'I' (IMAGE aka BINARY).
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (209,202,252,42,136,173)
Command:    LIST

Saturday, 12 February 2011 - 1:58 PM EST

Name: "Oppie"

Tried also using windows explorer. This has also worked in the past but won't work now (worked once the other day and then not again). For this you have to set the advanced properties in windows internet explorer to:
Enable FTP folder view (checked)
Use Passive FTP (checked)

When this works, you can drage files in and out of the target directory.

Also tried windows explorer and foxfire using ftp.angelfire.com - Get a prompt for user and password but it just seems to hang at that point. Put in something wrong and you get a 501 password rejected.

Saturday, 12 February 2011 - 10:50 PM EST

Name: "OPPIE"

Just tried the web folders approach and the DOES work. Looks like I can create and delete folders also.

Network Places overview

My Network Places overview

My Network Places displays shortcuts to shared computers, printers, and other resources on the network. The shortcuts are created automatically in My Network Places whenever you open a shared network resource, such as a printer or shared folder.

The My Network Places folder also contains hyperlinks to tasks and locations on your computer. These links can help you view your network connections, add shortcuts to network places, and view computers in your network domain or in your workgroup.

Click the Add a network place task to start the Add Network Place Wizard. This wizard helps you to create new shortcuts to shared folders and resources on your network, Web, and FTP servers. If you don't have folders on a Web server already, the Add Network Place Wizard will help you create a new folder for storing your files online.

You can view, manage, move, copy, save, and rename the files and folders you have stored on a Web server just as you would files and folders stored on your computer. When you view the contents of a folder that is stored on the Web, the folder's Internet address is displayed in the Address bar.

Open My Network Places.

Notes

To open My Network Places, click Start, and then click My Computer. Under Other Places, click My Network Places. The View workgroup computers task is displayed in My Network Places when your computer is in a workgroup and not in a domain. Double-click this icon to narrow your search to only those computers, printers, and resources that share a workgroup with your computer. If your computer is connected to a workgroup that has less than 32 computers, Windows will automatically create shortcuts in My Network Places to the shared resources in your workgroup. To add a shortcut in My Network Places to a folder on a Web server, the Web server must support network places. Network places requires the Web Extender Client (WEC) protocol and FrontPage extensions, or the WebDAV protocol and Internet Information Services (IIS). You must also have read and write access to the Web server. If you are on a network, contact your network administrator for information about available Web servers and how to access them. 

Sunday, 13 February 2011 - 9:27 AM EST

Name: "Scott"

For those of you who have contacted Angelfire support, already.  how did you do this?

Did you create a support ticket?  Did you talk to someone on the phone?  If so, do you have a case number?

The programmers for Angelfire, as of Friday, didn't have any tickets in their cue about this issue.  Which, obviously is a problem.

I want to find out where the communication is breaking down and fix it because you should never feel like there is no one trying to help you with your issue.  

Sunday, 13 February 2011 - 6:53 PM EST

So nevermind, it is being worked on and has been all weekend. 

There was a legitimate FTP attack by some malicious sources recently, and some users were affected in blocking out those unwelcome FTP sources. 

Nothing bad happened to your accounts, they were just being blocked due to this fix that blocked out more than was intended.  

The problem should be fixed for most users.  But if you are still currently experiencing difficulty logging into your FTP account, please bear with us as there may be some legitimate IPs that are blocked, that our operations department is working hard to correct.

Sunday, 13 February 2011 - 9:34 PM EST

Name: "oppie"

Ticket number 2725-IJLN-7899 was entered Feb 11 when I first realized that something was wrong. Never got back anything other than the auto reply.

Not sure in my case if this is significant. I had installed the preliminary version of ipv6 on my win XP Pro machine (from dos window, 'ipv6 install'). Thinking that this might have been an issue with Filezilla, removed the protocol (from dos window, 'ipv6 uninstall' followed by re-boot).

In any event, FileZilla seems now to be able to list my site contents.

If it makes any difference, I'm on a Verizon FiOS connection. Verizon has been blocked in the past by several services due to the quantity of abuse that originates throug it.

Monday, 14 February 2011 - 8:46 AM EST

Thank you Oppie for your response.

That's some good information to have and I'm going to pass it along to the people that were working on this issue over the weekend.

It sounds like things are working again for you, or did I misread what you were saying about FileZilla displaying files again for you?

Thanks again

Thursday, 17 February 2011 - 1:06 PM EST

Name: "Oppie"

Hello Scott,

All my means of FTP access (filezilla, Windows explorer and web folders) are now working to my expectation - and faster than before too.

Clicked on 'connect' in FileZilla and instead of the normal 2-3 second sequence, was all done in about a 1/4 second. For an OhNoSecond, thought my directory was empty. Was all good...

Thanks!

One minor bug in your 'leave a comment' : Every time I reply and enter the captcha, I get rejected. My work-around is to copy my text, cancel out of the comment and start a new comment. Paste the original text and enter the new captcha. This has worked so-far but is just a pain.

Thursday, 17 February 2011 - 6:42 PM EST

you're absolutely right.  it is a horrible captcha and a giant pain.  We're working on a replacement for it, but I unfortunetly don't know what the time frame is on it.  Hopefully it'll get released sooner rather than later.

Glad to hear everything's working again for you with FTP though!

Saturday, 6 August 2011 - 11:16 AM EDT

Name: "Chris"

Wow, intresting post. These angelfire websites sure have some intresting individueals websites, including your own. Will bookmark this page and come back to read through propperly.

<a href="http://www.bestlaserprintersinfo.com/hp-laserjet-pro-cp1025nw/">HP LastJet Pro CP1025nw</a>

Chris.D 

View Latest Entries