Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Sunday, 12 November 2006
Dawn
Mood:  down
I have contacted Lycos help about my account, waiting for a reply (I can't get in). My question is, although pieces of my website are already posted on the internet, once I am able to access my account again, will I be able to update my website? I am using the webshell help builder, is there a way to keep the site from being indexed until I complete it?

Posted by planet/dm0 at 11:10 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (17) | Permalink | Share This Post

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 12:22 PM EST

Name: dalleh

and you feel the whole world is looking at it the second the problem started. nothing you can do for indexing you have to do it from inside in the advance editor only.

what do you get? when you try to log in.

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 12:23 PM EST

Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/planet/dm0/

so far it is the default page

https://www.angelfire.com/planet/dm0/

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 12:53 PM EST

Name: cw
Home Page: http://www.i18nguy.com/markup/metatags.html#robo

yes, you'll be able to update. Once you can update then you can add a metatag to your head section that tells the robots (search engines) not to index.

Link above is to more info.

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 1:31 PM EST

okay. but if I used the web shell template, I am not sure where to insert the metatag.

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 1:32 PM EST

there is a problem with your member name and password please try again.

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 6:27 PM EST

It goes anywhere you want to put it in the head section... IOW anywhere between the <head> and </head> tags

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 8:49 PM EST

Home Page: http://ldbreg.lycos.com/cgi-bin/mayaRegister?m_RC=6m_PR

go here to get the password, your id is planet/dm0

http://ldbreg.lycos.com/cgi-bin/mayaRegister?m_RC=6&m_PR=33

by the way how did you login here to post anyway

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 9:57 PM EST

Name: Dawn

i understand. But in the web shell you do not see html text. Unless you mean to cut and paste the metatag in the box provided for the title. For example place the meta tag first and when my site is ready replace with the actual title. Can I do this?

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 9:57 PM EST

i understand. But in the web shell you do not see html text. Unless you mean to cut and paste the metatag in the box provided for the title. For example place the meta tag first and when my site is ready replace with the actual title. Can I do this?

Sunday, 12 November 2006 - 10:15 PM EST

I created a new account (dm0) with a different email address in order to try to get blog help. However, the account that I am having problems with is the account I paid for dawnmarie_3.

Monday, 13 November 2006 - 12:55 AM EST

you were loged in yesterday 10/11 with this planet/dawnmarie_3

did you request the password,

Monday, 13 November 2006 - 9:04 AM EST

no, you can't paste it in place of the title.

But... could our webshells work differently?? My webshell lists all files and all web pages show html if you choose the .html file and click on "edit". The web page templates I see and have used are all cut and paste HTML. Could you be talking about something other than a web page... maybe a blog or a photo album? Or maybe I'm missing something in my webshell.

Monday, 13 November 2006 - 9:49 AM EST

In creating the web page using the webshell, you can choose from 6 various formats. Going from memory, I believe the first one allows you to have links, the second has a diferent layout from the first, I can't rememeber the third, and 4-6 are all versions of a photo album. I used the first two and then #4. My index page has the links.

Monday, 13 November 2006 - 10:21 AM EST

Still thinking that our webshells are set up differently. I can't find anything that looks like the template you used or contains the same basic coding. The only web page templates I see come from the html library. Other options are the photo album, blogs and planets. None of those match the index page I see either. I use Mac and thinking there may be other options available for non mac users???

Can you log into the new account you created and find the template you used and then post back re the specific one used and from what section. I need a name not a number to help you. And if someone else can help it will be easier if we know we're all on the same page.

also- if you read back to what dalleh said a few days ago- you were able to log into the first account to post an entry to this blog under dawnmarie_3. That you can't log into the webshell for that account doesn't make much sense to me. Are you now able to log in to the original account? If not, have you logged out of AF then tried clearing cookies and cache and relogging back in again? You may be choking on cookies if you have more than one AF account.

Monday, 13 November 2006 - 12:36 PM EST

Eureka! OK now I see you're using the "basic" editor... which I never realized existed before lol. I think I learned something!

You'll need to convert the pages you want to add metatags to the advanced editor. When you open your page in the basic editor that should be an option toward the top. Before you do that make a copy of the existing page as instructed in the prompts pages that follow. Once a page is converted you can't return to the basic editor for further edits. So make sure your index page is set up to your liking before you convert because further edits to this page will need to be in html code . You'll need some html knowledge to do that or be willing to learn and practice. If you made a copy of your page you could always return to the copy if you don't like or feel comfortable with advanced editing.

In your meta tag you should also add nofollow to noindex. If you do that on your index page only then it should keep spiders from following your links and indexing your site. Whether it works and for what search engines will depend if the spider pays attention to or ignores that type of metatag.

Monday, 13 November 2006 - 8:27 PM EST

Name: planet/dawnmarie_3
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/planet/dawnmarie_3.html

Eureka back! Thank you! Thank you! In converting I also recognized my sign in problem. My member name is not dawnmarie_3, it is planet/dawnmarie_3. THANKS I have one more question. I tried "Googling" my URL. Nothing happens; however, I can link to my site from an email, or Word document. I read there are metatags that help you insert "keywords" for the search engine spiders. Is this possible?

Tuesday, 14 November 2006 - 9:25 AM EST

Glad you solved the login problem!

Yes, there are keyword metatags and you can add them to the head section just like your noindex metatag but they are no longer much used by the major search engines. It is too easy to stuff meaningless keywords into a metatag. Now search engines have a better way of indexing sites. They choose keywords for you by looking at the words used in the page content and indexing the words on the page. That makes for a more relevant search return. So make your text content as relevant as possible by using the keywords you want to be indexed by on your page and in the alt description of image tags.

Not every site will be indexed in a search engine. Generally, you must submit your site for inclusion or an already indexed site must link to you so that a SE spider will eventually follow that link and include you. Even if you submit your site, inclusion is not a given If accepted, it can take weeks to months for a site to be included in the SE database.

If you want to be included in google make sure to submit your site URL to them.... and also remember to remove the noindex, nofollow metatag if you added it before your site was ready for the world. Otherwise you'll be turning SEs away at the door.

View Latest Entries