Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Monday, 21 August 2006
Background Image ?
I put my back ground image on the page...the one where Angelfire does all the coding. It comes up many little pictures instead of one big picture.

How do I get one big picture as a background image?

Thank you in advance. I've been an angelfire user for many a year and enjoy it immensely.

Susan

Posted by mo2/pinedell at 11:05 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 22 August 2006 - 3:33 PM EDT

Name: tom

Please provide the URL of the page you are referring to,
so that we may have a look at it, and the background
image in question. Thanks.

Tuesday, 22 August 2006 - 9:55 PM EDT

Name: dalleh

you need to be in the advance editor. change numbers ( 10 ) to center the image. It may not work with netscape

<BODY LEFTMARGIN=10 TOPMARGIN=10 BGPROPERTIES="FIXED" BACKGROUND="bckgrnd.jpg">

Tuesday, 29 August 2006 - 5:40 PM EDT

Name: Wolfie001
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/poetry/northpoint/index.html

Or you could just blow up the image to desired resolution (by this I mean size ie. 1024X800) and save it that way. But this really messes up the image. Dunno how to do it without pixelizing the image though. Anyone? dalleh's way will do the same (pixelize I mean) so I don't know how its gonna be with quality...

Wednesday, 30 August 2006 - 4:24 PM EDT

Name: cw

the answer is more complicated than you might think.

dalleh's method will not pixelize the image. It will not change the dimensions of the picture as uploaded in any way. it just prevents the image from tiling by fixing it in place. Tiling is what your BG image is doing now by repeating itself over and over on your page.

What you need to start with is an image of the proper size. What size is "proper" depends on the screen resolution the page is viewed in. How the image appears, and how much of it displays, depends on the number of pixels being displayed in any particular pc monitor.

The most common resolution being used right now is 1024 x 768.... but there are many others both larger and smaller. 1024 x 768 means 1024 pixels across and 768 pixels down. Using dalleh's code and an image a little smaller than those dimensions will cause the BG image to fill up most of a monitor in 1024x768 resolution when the page displays IN A MAZIMIZED BROWSER WINDOW. But the BG image must first be of the proper size when it is uploaded. Images of that size are usually of very large file weight so are not the best choice for a BG image because of the time it will take to load to the page. Smaller resolutions (like 800 x 600) will not display parts of the picture, particularly those parts to the right of the image that are beyond 780 pixels to the right or so. Larger resolutions will see blank space where your image ends. What resolution being used depends on what your visitor uses, not you.

So you have a bit to think about when choosing a BG image and how to display it as a BG on a page. An easier option is to create a BG image that will tile seamlessly. That is easiest to create if you go with a long (very wide), thinimage, maybe with your small image to the left and a solid color to it's right so the solid color displays where your content is likely to show. The image used for your BG would need to be wide enough to prevent L/R tiling in larger resolutions... an image at least 1200 pixels wide. Or you can go with a BG image to fit smaller resolutions and fix it as dalleh suggests.... except the resolution the page is viewed in will affect where your content displays in relation to the image for any particular visitor. That may make your content hard to view or read.

And in case it isn't clear, the image needs to be created and sized in an image editor and saved in a web image format like jpg gif or png that is uploadable to your site.

For what it's worth. a BG image is a *background*; meant to display in the *background*. They are generally insignificant elements used on a web page to enhance but not distract from it's content or slow down load time. If you just want people to view your images, don't use them as BG images unless you know exactly what you're doing. Instead, just insert them on the page in the usual way as in a photo album.

View Latest Entries