Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 2 May 2006
Lycos Ads
Mood:  quizzical
Topic: HTML Questions
I guess that most of us 'ad-supported' members have
noriced the constant date transfer after our pages have been loaded. This is obviously due to the refreshing of banner advertising content.

This is disconcerting to the surfer, who will suspect
any date transfer, after the page has been fully loaded. It would be nice to avoid data transfer
after the page has been recorded as 'done' on the surfer's browser.

Just a thought....

Posted by me2/kulacoco at 1:02 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (7) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 2 May 2006 - 1:42 PM EDT

Name: me2/kulacoco

Spelling corrections:

I guess that most of us 'ad-supported' members have
noriced the constant DATA transfer after our pages have been loaded. This is obviously due to the refreshing of banner advertising content.

This is disconcerting to the surfer, who will suspect
any DATA transfer, after the page has been fully loaded. It would be nice to avoid data transfer
after the page has been recorded as 'done' on the surfer's browser.

Just a thought....

Tuesday, 2 May 2006 - 11:44 PM EDT

Name: dalleh

I did not understand what you mean, but the ad banners are not files in your directory so loading or refreshing the ad doesn't count aganist you.

Wednesday, 3 May 2006 - 2:24 AM EDT

I wasn't referring to the data transfer working against
the individual member's bandwidth allotment.

I was referring to the new ads, which Lycos has installed, which require constant refreshing, thereby causing constant DATA TRANSFER, even after the page is fully loaded.

This was never the case before. In the past, once the Angelfire page was loaded [including banner ads] there was no more DATA TRANSFER.

These days, with the prevalence of spyware, malware and other annoyances, surfers will always suspect any DATA TRANSFER, which occurs AFTER the browser has recorded the page as "DONE".

Wednesday, 3 May 2006 - 11:33 AM EDT

Name: mamagoo

how you can be sure it's the AF ad's causing this. You have banners script of all kinds there that you use and a few bravenet and I know that bravenet is good for adding pop-up script that can be very annoying and cause things to happen when the page refreshes.....
you said this was not the case before I don't think it is now. It's something else you have put there most likely.

I don't think it's AF ad's personnaly, maybe look into what else is there that could cause that to happen. it could be any one of those banners and ad's that you have embedded on your site.
In IE I get a script error for your homepage,(it comes up in the bottom left corner of the browser) however, I've seen this happen in IE and not Netscape, it does not affect the way your page loads however it may be just the way IE interprets the script on that page.

take away the bravenet ad's temporarily and see what happens, just to test it out.

Wednesday, 3 May 2006 - 11:57 AM EDT

Name: mamagoo again

to be honest with you I don't see anything unusuall going on with your site, even when I temporarily allow pop-ups. the script error is not there now, so that could have been caused by one of the AF banners not transferring correctly.

I did several page refresh and I didn't have any problems with anything. when it shows done it's done.
have you had complaints or is this something only you have been experiencing on your site? have you viewed your site on other computers? you may be just seeing this happen on your end.

If your using IE be sure it's not infected with any kind of spyware, too.

Wednesday, 3 May 2006 - 12:18 PM EDT

Name: being a magooo

I see what you mean now, I'm sorry for going off into another direction.
on hignspeed cable the data transfers so quickly that it's hardly noticable....but yes I see what you mean on the reload now. I was thinking more on the lines of banner pop-ups. sorry

It is a good thought that you make, but many people may not pay attention to this, but as you say it could appear to be something going on when you see the new data loading on refresh or return to your site.

Personnaly it doesn't bother me as much as pop-up banners or other script that takes you do a full sized advertising page. at least AF bannner ad's allow to see new banners without pop-ups or other means of annoyances....

Wednesday, 3 May 2006 - 2:26 PM EDT

Hi Mamagoo,

Thanks for your interest.

I have a dial-up connection, so it happens sometimes
[with all the refreshing of the A/F banner content], that
some of the images on my page are not fully loaded,
when the browser declares the page as 'DONE'.

That's one of the issues, besides, of course, the
obvious problem of causing the surfer to feel
uncomfortable, with the modem lights flashing away,
after the page is supposed to be loaded.

There are some folks [me included] who find that
disconcerting....

This is something 'new' at A/F, BTW.

Dontcha just love these new innovations?

:)

View Latest Entries