Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Friday, 30 December 2005
web shell
I checked my web shell saying 14.7MB used,but my total
files posted are about 350KB. why?
can someone point out this inconsistancy?

Posted by wy2/sy at 9:13 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (17) | Permalink | Share This Post

Friday, 30 December 2005 - 1:19 PM EST

Name: wy2/sy

Your "blog" directory has 15.0MB of images in it.

Regardless if they're being "used" on your site/blog or not, if they're in your account, they count.

Mike
Customer Support - Angelfire

Friday, 30 December 2005 - 3:22 PM EST

Mike, Since I used only 500KB, shouldn't I see
near the orange bar indicating:
you have used 500kb of your alloted 20.0MB.
Instead I see:
you have used 14.5MB of your alloted 20.0MB
Thanks for the analysis
sy

Friday, 30 December 2005 - 3:43 PM EST

Name: Mike

No, that would be inaccurate.

The amount of space you're "using" is the total amount of files IN your account. Not what percentage of files are being used on your website.

Anything stored in your account counts as being "used".

Mike

Friday, 30 December 2005 - 5:25 PM EST

Name: cw

I think Mike already addressed that when he wrote that you have 15MB of files uploaded to your blog directory. How are you arriving at the 500KB total that you say you used? Could you be looking at your site's bandwidth use and confusing it with your account's storage capacity?

Friday, 30 December 2005 - 7:51 PM EST

I used right click to see the storage for each file;
then I added them up to 500KB.
I also deleted all old files uploaded to my blog.
I see the shell showing 14.5MB used in the 20MB allotted.I just uploaded a few files. Why should it take up so much of my allotted storage?
I thought when I delete old files ,it should free up some space given back to me. Is that true?

What happens if I delete all files in my blog, would not I have all 20MB back anew? I still don't understand the logic!!!!!!!

Friday, 30 December 2005 - 8:40 PM EST

Name: dalleh

login to the web shell,( file manager ) and look at the files sizes, added them from there.

Saturday, 31 December 2005 - 4:50 AM EST

I did login to the web shell. The graph shows 14.5MB used out
of 20Mb allotted( I repeat this many times).
Try to answer my last 2 questions at the end of my last posting.Then I will understand the system better.

Saturday, 31 December 2005 - 8:38 AM EST

Clear your browser cache and try reloading the account page that shows your storage space. Your browser may have cached tghe page so that you're seeing outdated info.

"I see the shell showing 14.5MB used in the 20MB allotted.I just uploaded a few files. Why should it take up so much of my allotted storage?"

A single file could weigh 15MB by itself so I don't understand why you think uploading a few files should not take up much space. It's not the number of files you upload but the size of each of them. How large were the files you just uploaded?

"I used right click to see the storage for each file"...

How did you find out the size of the files that are uploaded but not used? Your method of R click will not account for uploaded but unused files if you aren't checking file sizes from the web shell or FTP. Use the webshell to check file sizes of all files in all your directories. Make sure to open all subdirectories when accounting for files. Use the webshell to do that as already suggested a few times.

Saturday, 31 December 2005 - 4:26 PM EST

Hi CW,
Thanks for taking the time to try to solve my problem.
I did delete the browser cache to 0 by going to browser\\option
security\\ cache\\ set to zero byte.
Still did not help.
So I went farther to delete all my uploaded files( just left
one very small file there equal to about 1KB). I shut down my cpu and reopen angelfire blog\\ enter my password\\ select web shell\\ the system started to reshow my used storage\\
It still shows 14.5MB used out of 20MB alloted.
It drives bats!!!

Yesterday I clicked on each file to find out the file size
then add them up to get the total( right click and property). That was how I derived
my uploaded storage to answer your question.
Just can not figure this out even I am a tech person for years.
Happy New Year to you. Please reply when you can.
sy

Saturday, 31 December 2005 - 6:45 PM EST

Name: Mike

Sometimes it amazes me...

All the images in your /blog directory are what's taking up your space.

Login to Angelfire, click "WebShell", click "/blog" to highlight it, then click the "Open" button to open your subdirectory.

See all those images in there? That's your 15MB that you're using.

As we've said (repeatedly), if it's in your account, it's "used".

Mike

Saturday, 31 December 2005 - 9:33 PM EST

I saw the files OK.
I began to delete them & Now I create another problem.
How can I let the visitors to access to my blog?
How can I create an index.html page to link them ?
Thanks.

Sunday, 1 January 2006 - 12:12 AM EST

Name: mamagoo

go to the web shell and build your site. click the index.html file, then choose to edit it,
it brings up the basic editor, follow through to add the text and content, graphics etc... that you want. the first part of the index.html page has some links already to angelfire things all you need to do is change those links to your site pages such as as your blog page.
If you still have a blog then you can use a link in that navigation area using the url to your blog.....anyone can access your blog with the proper url and link....

to get the link to your blog, open your blog to view it normal in your browser, then copy the url from the address field of your internet browser....that is the path to your blog and the url you will use when you write the link to it when your editing your site...

hint:
open up notepad or wordpad if your using windows and have it handy for when you need to copy and paste things like urls and such..... leave it open and minimized on your computers task bar to keep it handy, and utilize it when your copying and pasting things to use when your editing your web pages.....

when you save your edited page then your page will be published. Basictly It's already published as the default angelfire page, but you just haven't added your own content to it....follow the basic editor and give your page background and graphics and your own links and content.

Happy New Year! it's midnight....lol

Sunday, 1 January 2006 - 12:28 AM EST

Name: mamagoo
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.lycos.com/howto/newcomer/pagefive.

you can reach the How To from your web shell navigation area, but here is a good place to start.. use link above

Sunday, 1 January 2006 - 9:04 AM EST

It looks to me like you deleted your entire blog directory including the files needed to display your blog and not just the unused image files inside it. That was a mistake. You'll need to rebuild your blog if you want visitors to access it.

I think you are confused about what storage means at your account and how it is calculated so I'll try to explain. If you upload a file it counts toward your storage limit. It doesn't matter if you use it on a page or not. As long as it's uploaded it takes up space and counts toward your storage limit.

Say you have a closet that has room only for 20 shirts and you already have 20 shirts in that closet. It doesn't matter that you only use one of the shirts. The other shirts you don't wear still take up space in the closet and there is no room left to hang more. If you want more space then you need to throw out some of the shirts to make more space in the closet. So you throw out the shirts you no longer have use for- the ones that are the wrong color or no longer fit you. That is the same with your web account. Throw out the files that you have no use for but leave the rest so you have something left to wear. You don't want to throw out all your clothes, just the ones you're sure you have no use for.

Hope that makes sense :)

Sunday, 1 January 2006 - 5:29 PM EST

Thanks,Mike,
I have to digest the detailed steps you provided.
Happy New Year!!!!!!
I will be back later on.
sy

Sunday, 1 January 2006 - 5:37 PM EST

Thanks to cw & mam;
I surely did make the mistake of deleting all files.
Right now it is overwhelming. I hope I can retain my old blog site name .

Monday, 2 January 2006 - 3:48 AM EST

Name: tom

Here is just another case of 'hidden sub-directory files'

This fellow could not find the files because they were
in his BLOG directory. If they would have been in
his top-level directory, he could have avoided all
the problems....because he would have seen them sitting
there, right in front of him.

Happily, he was uploading files to his BLOG directory,
thinking that this would not affect his website storage
limit. The impunity which he thought existed, was merely
a figment of his imagination.

Now, he's gotta start over.

I guess that it's all in the painful learning curve,
which we all go through, one time or another.....

View Latest Entries