Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Saturday, 8 October 2005
Uploading jpg's
Mood:  irritated
Topic: Image Questions
ARRG. I am pulling my hair trying to understand what I am doing wrong. I have created another website, www.angelfire.com/film2/miskell, which I use to let my family know whats going on. I used the same methods, and files, and creating ways that I am using now to creat this other one. Except the images are not there! When I upload an image, I get no error message. on the contrary...it says "files uploaded successfully". But I cannot view them. I just get the little red x. what am I doing wrong here? it seems that no new files that I creat will upload correctly. Is there something going on at angelfire? I have tried to dummy down the size, and make the quality less, and still nothing. but I can load up previously made designs and they are fine. Why all of a sudden? HELP!

Posted by art3/davnci at 8:16 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (10) | Permalink | Share This Post

Saturday, 8 October 2005 - 9:29 PM EDT

Name: md/jdfaq

reload your browser few times, all the pics are there, heart your foot?

Sunday, 9 October 2005 - 8:37 AM EDT

Name: cw

Part of the problem may be the file sizes of your images, many in the 50-100KB range. With several that size on a page you may have trouble loading them on a slower connection like modem. Optimize your images in an image editor to make sure they are sized to display size and play with jpg compression rates to make smaller sized files. But also- there are several images in the wrong format on your pages (.bmp) which will not load in my IE browser but do OK in Netscape. Make sure all images are JPG, GIF or PNG (though png is not supported in some older browsers). BMP is not a web friendly format and shouldn't be used when uploading files to the web.

Sunday, 9 October 2005 - 11:42 AM EDT

Name: wizard2/mr_holiday

Could your images have been loaded into the "main area" instead of into an image folder? I had that same problem for a while until I caught the mistake. Check your Web Shell. If you have an image folder, check to make sure ALL the images that you uploaded are in there. If not, you'll have to back to the "main area" and move the images.

Hope this helps.

Sunday, 9 October 2005 - 2:29 PM EDT

Name: tom

Hi CW,

I agree with most of your advice, which is always
useful.....however, in certain cases, the BMP [bitmap]
image may be used successfully. I have a small
BMP image [71kb] featured on a few pages, which loads
in both IE6.0 and Firefox 1.07, without any problem.

There is a bright blue colour used in that image,
which comes out pretty dull, when converted to
even a high-quality JPG format. I am not skilled in
working with GIF format, which would probably be
the best solution, however.

Sunday, 9 October 2005 - 4:34 PM EDT

Just wanted to add something....

Years ago, Angelfire would automatically convert the BMP images to JPG, when uploaded to the webshell. Then,
apparently realizing the value of the BMP clarity and quality, happily decided to allow BMPs to remain BMPs.

Of course, I am forever indebted to Angelfire, for their automatic conversion of BMPs to JPGs...after all, what did I know about Imagoweb or other such resources, when I started to create and maintain sites on the World Wide Web?

Consequently, now, when we upload a BMP it remains a BMP
in our Webshell.

Sunday, 9 October 2005 - 4:53 PM EDT

I hope that this is not becoming boring...

I just wanted to mention, that, although the
'default' was to convert BMP to JPG,
the option to upload as BMP was available.

Sunday, 9 October 2005 - 5:01 PM EDT

I'm of the mind that the web is intended so all computers of any OS have a common language and file formats so that info can be easily transferred and viewed by anyone. Without that common base then you don't have a www you just have a w (for Windows that is :) I'll bet you're using a Windows pc. I'm using a Mac and my IE browser, an MS product, will not disply bmps which are a MS Windows only graphic format. I'd have a problem with your bmp image were I to visit using IE. I find it odd that MS didn't add some sort of helper app to display bmps in the version of it's browser I use which is also the most current. Netscape7 handles them fine.

The web formats gif, jpg, and png are all cross platform so will display in all graphical browsers of all computer OS (except png format in some older browsers as metioned before). Visitors don't have to do anything such as assign a helper application or plug-in to view.

I don't know what you're using for image editting but you may want to play with the contrast, brightness, hue, and saturation controls of your image to increase the intensity of the color blue you're after and try jpg again. An image that small in file size must be pretty small in physical size as well with a limited # of pixels. With a good image editor you should be able to custom match that blue and convert to a custom palette gif. I'm still going to stick with recommending web friendly image formats. I'll always prefer even a dull image to one that doesn't display at all.

Sunday, 9 October 2005 - 5:36 PM EDT

Tom LOL- I don't know what I was thinking re that image of yours. I saw 71KB but thought 78 bytes so had an icon sized image in mind. Forget what I said about converting to gif.

I still think you could get as good quality an image with jpg at a fraction of the size of your bmp. Try some color correction and keep in mind that the blue you see and want to match may not look anything like that on someone else's monitor and probably doesn't. JMO but seems to me you'd be better off putting your efforts to making an acceptable, good-enough-for-the-web quality, faster loading web format file.

Monday, 10 October 2005 - 1:58 AM EDT

Hi CW,

Of course, you have convinced me to redesign that BMP
using a different colour. I had no idea that some
computers could not download the file. Thamks loads!

Friday, 28 October 2005 - 8:55 AM EDT

Name: Barb

How does one move the pics from the main menu to the photo album?? I used FTP to get them into the site..NOW WHAT?...HA....frustrated..in Toronto!!

View Latest Entries