Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Monday, 26 September 2005
Why don't my images appear?
Mood:  happy
Topic: Image Questions
Hey there
I've just created a new webpage and everything is going great except when it comes to images.
First of all, there was no directory called /images, so I created one and uploaded some pictures and they're all there, all good.
I've typed in images/mypicture1 into the space to make the picture my main image but when I preview it, an X marks the spot.
I've managed to bring an image up using the images provided eg http:// etc but my own photos don't seem to work
Do the images have to be a certain size?
Can they be jpegs? Do they have to be gifs only?

I've read the other posts but nothing has helped.:o(

Can you please help me???

Thanks

K

Posted by journal2/kerriannepirls at 1:01 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post

Monday, 26 September 2005 - 4:46 AM EDT

Name: tom

Firstly, I don't understand why you couldn't find your images
directory in the webshell. It is right below the cgi-bin in your top-level directory.

There must be something wrong. I typed in the following
URL: https://www.angelfire.com/journal2/kerriannepirls/images/africagroup.gif
Which should bring up an image, but instead brings up a 404 message.

Monday, 26 September 2005 - 9:47 AM EDT

Name: cw

one possibility- lettercase. File and folder names are case sensitive and the file name used in your html must match the actual filename exactly as named at your account. A folder called "Images" is not the same folder as one named "images". 'mypicture1.gif' is not the same image as 'Mypicture1.GIF', etc. Recheck the file names against how they're written in the image filepaths used on your pages.

Monday, 26 September 2005 - 9:48 AM EDT

Name: md/jdfaq

open the subdirectory imagesand see if the files are there, click on the file then click view if the files or images do not show try to reupload the file by the way although jpeg and jpg are the same it is better to rename the file to jpg.

Tuesday, 27 September 2005 - 4:11 AM EDT

Name: journal2/kerriannepirls

Hi and thanks for your response. I don't have a cgi-bin, I have a vti-bin and vti-cnf etc...hmmm...

don't know why?

K

Tuesday, 27 September 2005 - 11:24 AM EDT

Name: tom

All I know, is that im my webshell, there is
an image directory and cgi-bin directory.

I don't know what type of Angelfire Account you have.
Perhaps different accounts offer different webshells?

In an effort to maintain simplicity, I upload
everything into the top-level directory
and never bother about those other options.

Tuesday, 27 September 2005 - 11:36 AM EDT

Name: cw

vti-bin, vti-cnf are directories used by FrontPage. They are added to newer accounts by default. If you are not using FrontPage then ignore them.

This should end the problem- go to your webshell and view one of the images that are not displaying on a page. Highlight and copy the URL of the image from the browser location bar when it appears and paste that URL into a comment here. Getting images to appear is not magic. You just need to reference the URL correctly in your source code and you haven't done that yet. The correct URL of the viewable image will go a long way to help.

View Latest Entries