Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Friday, 15 July 2005
Anyone else get this?
Mood:  not sure
I just got this email from: Angelfire5@mmail.angelfire.com

Looks like spam or phish, because I don't see anything on the angelfire site like it. Does anyone know anything about it?

GET A DOMAIN NAME FOR ONLY $19.95 A YEAR!

Dear Angelfire Member,

Make a statement and express yourself by getting a unique Domain Name that will link to your Web-site (Example: yourname.com). It’s an easy and inexpensive way to make an online presence. Learn more.

Free Domain Forwarding:
You can assign your new Domain Name to your Angelfire Web-site for seamless integration. Or, if your Web-site is hosted elsewhere, you can easily forward your Domain Name. Tell us the URL and we'll take care of the rest. We even support dynamic DNS updates! Learn more.

3 Free POP/IMAP E-mail Boxes and E-mail Forwards:
Send and receive e-mail from your personal address (example: you@yourname.com). You'll also receive 15 MB of storage per inbox, which lets you store all of your e-mails, and download them from anywhere using your favorite e-mail client! Or use our new Web-mail tool to send and receive e-mail from any computer with internet access. You can also forward e-mail addressed to your Domain to your existing e-mail accounts. You'll never miss a message! Learn more.

3 Free Sub Domains:
Have a music section on your web-site? Set up music.yourname.com. It's an easy and free way to get your visitors to where they want to go. Learn more.

Sincerely,
Team Angelfire
Angelfire Domains

Angelfire is a registered trademark of Lycos, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Please do not reply to this email. If you would like to stop receiving promotional email from Angelfire Domains at
XXXX.com then,
- Click Here
- Go to Email Subscriptions and click on Lycos Property Emails
- Uncheck the Angelfire Email List box and click Update Subscriptions.

This message has been sent by Angelfire, 100 Fifth Avenue, MS 248, Waltham, MA 02451, and may constitute an
advertisement or solicitation within the meaning of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.
E01

Posted by az3/goladyjags at 6:55 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (12) | Permalink | Share This Post

Friday, 15 July 2005 - 7:57 PM EDT

Name: Holli
Home Page: http://www.afloridagal.com

It's most likely spam. Just never log in to these things. They just try to steal your password and information you give to your domain page etc...

Friday, 15 July 2005 - 8:09 PM EDT

Name: Holli

Wanted to add:
Angelfire won't ask for your password..

Friday, 15 July 2005 - 10:52 PM EDT

Name: Al-J
Home Page: http://calif-journal.com

The email is from Angelfire. If you don't want to receive any email from Angelfire, Read the last two paragraphs.

Al-J

Saturday, 16 July 2005 - 6:44 PM EDT

Name: az3/goladyjags

It was the email address it was sent from that makes it suspicious. It's not like any other I've received from angelfire, which always reads angelfire-lycos.com.

Saturday, 16 July 2005 - 6:56 PM EDT

Name: Mike

This is not spam. Over the course of the last week, Angelfire (as well as Tripod) sent out emails to all our members who were currently registered with a .com, .net, .biz, or .org domain name in their account.

This email is to let all our users know that they can also purchase the other extentions of their domain name.

ie. if you own www.supercars.com, we're letting you know that you can buy www.supercars.net, www.supercars.biz and www.supercars.org, for $19.95 per year (each name).

The email is not spam at all, and is being sent to you due to your current email subscriptions, which you can maintain, update, or edit from your "My Account" page.

Hope that clears things up.
Mike
Customer Support - Lycos Webhosting

Saturday, 16 July 2005 - 9:34 PM EDT

Thanks, Mike. But why did lycos send it from such a weird email address?

Since I have a www.angelfire.com/az3/goladyjags address, would this apply to me? Could I eliminate the angelfire.com/az3 for $19.95 a year? I don't have email with angelfire.

Thanks!

Sunday, 17 July 2005 - 10:14 AM EDT

Name: Mike

Not sure why they come from the email addresses that they do, I don't actually send them out myself, I just know what they are.

I think they get sent from weird addresses so that we can track how many go where, and who gets them, etc. Or there's some super-technical reason behind it, that I have absolutely no idea about.

To answer your question "az3/goladyjags", yes, you could in theory eliminate the Angelfire from your website address for $19.95 per year.

The thing to keep in mind, is that a domain name will not replace your URL. Your URL will still have Angelfire in it, but you'll get a domain name to use in addition to your URL. It sounds a bit confusing, but that's just the technical aspect of it. The reality of it is, once you get a domain name, you never have to give out the Angelfire URL again. Just give out your www.mysite.com domain name. And that's that.

Then you can have me@mysite.com email addresses too, which looks a lot better if you're trying to run a business and have an email address on your site, than having a Yahoo, or Hotmail address. At least in my opinion.

Hope that helps,
Mike
Customer Support - Lycos Webhosting

Sunday, 17 July 2005 - 1:23 PM EDT

Mike, Thanks for the clear answer. It sounds less expensive and a lot less complicated than upgrading (I currently have a Neon account).

Two more questions: first,let's say I'm lucky enough to acquire the domain www.goladyjags.com. Will people be able to access the page with BOTH that and the existing www.angelfire.com/az3/goladyjags?

Second, what about the search engines? How will the website appear to them, and could there be a conflict?

Email doesn't matter to me, because it's not a business, although I could put it on my index page.

Thanks.

Sunday, 17 July 2005 - 3:07 PM EDT

Name: jrp34

When you buy the domain name this way, BOTH addresses will continue to work.

Search engines may have you listed twice, though Google seems smart enough to figure it out sometimes and only list you once. Of course, you have to use your new address before search engines will pick up on it-- registering won't automatically mean they use it.

JP

Sunday, 17 July 2005 - 3:17 PM EDT

Name: jrp34

Yes. Free members can also buy a domain via this offer and have it work properly with their angelfire account. The only difference is that you will still get ads when viewed via your domain name.

JP

Sunday, 17 July 2005 - 3:52 PM EDT

Name: cw

JP is of course correct. The domain name gives you an easy to remember URL that visitors may not need the assistance of an SE to find you. As for how SEs list you IMHO FWIW- who cares how they list you as long as they list you and provide a link, any link, to reach your site? Both URLs will work and that's all that would matter to me.

Sunday, 17 July 2005 - 8:26 PM EDT

Thanks, JP -

This sounds like a good deal, and less complicated than upgrading. Anything else I should know about before trying it out? I don't want any ads, but shouldn't get them since I'm Neon, right?

View Latest Entries