Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 24 May 2005
Today I got in the mail something about Renewing Domains
Mood:  a-ok
Now Playing: Oprah
Today I got in the mail an advertisement (I think) To renew my domain. I have never gotten an snail mail advert untill today. The letter comes from Domain Registry of America

It says as a courtesy to domain name holders, we're sending you this notification of the domain name registration that is due to expire in the next few months. When you switch today, to the Domain Registry of Amerca, you can take advantage of our best savings.

How do I get out of people sending this crap if it's not from Angelfire? Or if it is from Angelfire, when did they start sending it. Why do they give out my address if they haven't sent anything out?

Posted by Holli at 4:53 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 24 May 2005 - 6:01 PM EDT

Name: jrp34

It's not from Angelfire. The "Domain Registry of America" is a very convincing scam that sends people "bills" that actually transfer your domains to their service. I recommend just throwing it out.

Unfortunately, there's no way to get them to stop sending you stuff. ICANN requires that all domain name owners have a valid mailing address on file (which is your billing address) and DoA just steals addresses from that database to send their "bills" to.

Tripod/Angelfire wanted to spoof all customer addresses as a corporate post office box so that users wouldn't get the real-mail spam, but it wasn't allowed.

It sucks.

JP

Tuesday, 24 May 2005 - 7:10 PM EDT

Name: cw
Home Page: http://www.internic.net/whois.html

Holli- This is a scam as jp said. You're not the first that has written to the blogs about it.

You can see where they get the info yourself by doing a whois search on your domain name. Use the link above if needed. Be prepared to have your eyes opened by the amount of contact info listed about you and your domain name. It may even include your phone number. That info is available to anyone accessing the domain name registry database.

Thursday, 26 May 2005 - 12:40 AM EDT

Name: fl5/afloridagal

Geese That does stink. I can't stand phone soliciters let alone mail soliciters. Oh well I'm glad I didn't fall for it. My mom flipped when she saw the bill because she knew I wasn't paying that much. However, I did contact them and supposedly it takes a couple of days to be removed blah blah Sure it does. I hate scammers.

Monday, 30 May 2005 - 6:00 AM EDT

Name: mech/1800
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/mech/1800/affiliates/

Spam, Spam, Spam, when you have a website with an email address on it unfortunately you have to expect spammers and scammers.

If emails come from anyone you don't know or want to know, it's best to put them in your junk folder and NEVER contact them (un-subscribe).

If you contact them by un-subscribing they know your email address is active and you will be sure to receive MORE crap than you ever hoped for, especially if your addy is onsold to the hunters and collectors of email addresses.

BTW there are many domain registers now that offer domain names and renewals for less than $10 per year.

View Latest Entries