Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Saturday, 14 February 2004
Protocol compatibilty?
Mood:  irritated
I have been searching the help & faq pages and 1.) could not find an answer & 2.)thought this to be the best place to post: What protocols (as in HTML, Java, PHP, Perl, etc.) are compatibile with anglefire's servers? I have tried to install a PHP add-on (Postnuke) and a .php page shows up as text although it should be showing up as a webpage (file in question) I am not newbie to web design (nor angelfire for that matter), however due to the fact that I am not familar with PHP I can say for certain if it a mistake on my part, FTP upload deffective, necessary codecs necessary, angelfire not being PHP compatible, or what...any help or suggestions would be extremely necessary so that I would not have to do something drastic such as learn PHP just to check for errors additionally it may be a error with uploading the files via ftp as the file sizes do not match from my HD to the subdirectories on the server...once again help is appreciated, thank you.

Posted by alt2/revolt at 1:35 AM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post

Saturday, 14 February 2004 - 9:56 AM EST

Name: jrp34

For free members, only the normal HTML protocols are supported. So Java, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, etc. work fine. Really, anything that renders on the *clinet* should work fine. In a couple of cases where you are doing something obscure, sometimes the "MIME Types" aren't set up right on the server and that can interfere. The team has generally been good about adding new MIME types as people have a need for them.

For paid members, Perl is offered through the 'cgi-bin' functionality. The support is somewhat stripped to prevent some major forms of abuse, but you can use our custom modules to do some pretty neat things. Some code you download off the web may need some modifications to get to work properly. Also, we don't support CPAN or some popular modules, but if they don't require compilation you can generally massage them into working just by uploading the module source into your directory. (For reference, we run Perl 5.8.0 which is pretty recent.)

UNOFFICIALLY, we offer some stripped down SSI support so you can do fancy inclusions like having a single file for the footer for all of your pages. However, I don't think we offer that officially and it could someday disappear. Id oubt it, but you never know.

View Latest Entries