Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Sunday, 5 October 2008
Ad Supported Sites are not loading correctly using Internet Explorer

Your page loads, but then an ad banner comes in and your content goes away.  Your site will be ok once that ad banner is removed.  It has to be done by Lycos and I would not expect them to fix it until Monday.

If you want to view your ad supported site before Lycos can fix the ad serving that code, you will have to use a Mozilla browser like Netscape or Firefox etc...

IE utilizes ActiveX and Mozilla does not.  That bad banner is taking advantage of the  ActiveX scripting in IE.  Your sites contents code is being out done by the ad serving that banner and this  keeps your page content from staying above it.

Your Site will be fine and will return to viewing correctly in IE once Lycos can get to correct the ad serving that code.

I'm sure they will be hit with many support tickets on Monday and they should get to it rather quickly. Hope fully!  

If you have regular visitors to your site you could inform them to use a Mozilla Browser. 

~mamaG~

Posted by mamaG at 1:48 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post

Sunday, 5 October 2008 - 5:42 AM EDT

Name: "Louise"

Regarding the ads that are causing the problem of content going away when the ad loads ..... will the fix be across the board or will each site that is affected have to be fixed individually?

Thanks

Sunday, 5 October 2008 - 5:54 AM EDT

Name: "anonymous"

Hi MamaG & Louise

That must be a randomly inserted advertising banner, because I just loaded one of my ad-supported pages without incident.

I'm sure that the issue will be ultimately solved on an 'across the board' basis, since it involves a porblem which is generated by the server and/or one of it's affiliates.

-tom-

Sunday, 5 October 2008 - 1:12 PM EDT

Name: "mamaG"

Hi Tom,  well it's happening here and many complaints at Tripod blog. 

I agree there may be that chancy time that that flash ad does not serve.  I'm guessing that your IE Security setting is set for High. If so that flash ad won't even appear.   IE by default sets at medium-high.  the pages won't load for me with that setting.  If I switch to High setting the sites load fine. the ad that is loading and taking over the page is a flash banner and that calls on the IE Active X controls.

Sunday, 5 October 2008 - 9:01 PM EDT

Name: "mamaG"

Louise

once the ad is removed your site will be fine.  Lycos has to get it so that faulty ad  banner does not serve and it will be done across the board.

Tom,  are you in the US?  wondering if it could be that some IP addy's are  warding off that banner,  and not being affected. by this

Monday, 6 October 2008 - 4:14 AM EDT

Name: "anonymous"

Hi mamaG

I am residing in Canada. I just tried to load an ad-supported page, and it didn't show any page content, other than the two Angelfire inserted banners at the top of the page, and actually froze the I.E. browser.

The only way I could close it down, was CTRL+ALT+DEL.

I guess that the issue is intermittent, which is why it did not present itself the last time I tried.

If course, this type of 'banner ad' problem has surfaced before on the A/F blog.

Remember in 2004, the mystery of the banner ad appearing in the middle
of the page? That was a real nightmare. Read about it here:
https://club.angelfire.com/index.blog?end=1084419344

Of course, as we all know, when something like this is intermittent, the Angelfire Support Staff usually has great difficulty in replicating the problem on their end; which means that it could take some time, before the issue is rectified.

If we could determine precisely 'which' banner ad is causing the problem, it could help.

-tom-

Sunday, 7 December 2008 - 5:09 AM EST

Name: amiga/rose
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/amiga/rose

My website hasn't been fixed yet.  How long does it take for them to remove the offending ad or whatever they do?  I increased my security settings to high and the text of the site displayed but the applet did not.  There was a message that I needed to change my security settings for it to work.  Now what?  Can someone go there and fix it?   Thanks,  Louise

View Latest Entries