Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Sunday, 19 February 2006
Question
Mood:  not sure
If you build a blog with angelfire blog builder, can you then open it up in notepad and go from there? Reason is that I like some of the templates, but would rather do the rest on my own.

Posted by blog/donspage.com at 12:24 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post

Sunday, 19 February 2006 - 12:54 PM EST

Name: cw

yes and no. depends on what you want to open in notepad. The blogs are built with a number of customizable modules that can be reached from the advanced customization section of your blog manager. The 2 most important templates- the ones that control the layout and look and feel of your front blog page are the stylesheet- styles.btpl and the main page layout- index.btpl. Any of the templates can be copied and saved to notepad, editted and reuploaded. But IMHO it is just as easy to edit those templates directly in the online editor where your changes are easily previewed and redittable.

If you just save the blog page as viewed in your browser window, as is, as built through the normal blog tools, you are really looking at a dynamically generated page- colors, fonts, some image prefs, etc are stored as separate files that will be dynamically generated as <blog_var_some-blog-component> when the page is called for for viewing. Those component preferences are what will be inserted. You won't get edittable html that will keep your changes I don't think. You need to edit the blog components individually. If you do otherwise, the blog component prefs you chose when first setting up the blog will probably overwrite your html changes I think.

Sunday, 19 February 2006 - 1:18 PM EST

Name: blog/donspage.com

Okay, just thought I would ask! LOL

But, new problem. The scrolling marquee that you helped me with earlier is on the blink. It won't scroll like it's supposed to. I copied and pasted a version of it on my first page....

www.angelfire.com/blog/donspage.com/Webpage2.htm

....what did I do wrong there, if you have the time. Thank you!

Sunday, 19 February 2006 - 2:50 PM EST

Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/folk/dollhouseprintables/marqu

your marquee isn't wide enough and it helps to put it inside a table. see what I did at the link above. There is code there to copy as well.

Sunday, 19 February 2006 - 8:14 PM EST

Name: Don
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/blog/donspage.com/Webpage2.htm

cw, you are my angel on angelfire! Thank you so much! That was much neater than I could've ever done.

Monday, 20 February 2006 - 8:02 AM EST

looks good don. Don't be afraid to jump all over that marquee code- change some dimensions in the code to see what happens. For instance, you can make the table wider, remove the table border or change the background color of the marquee.

And as for what started us off- don't be scared of the blog templates. Playing with them helped me learn a good bit about css, especially style.btpl which is the css style sheet template. Your site uses a stylesheet, too, and could be modified with a little css knowledge.

View Latest Entries