Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 14 February 2006
CGI don't work with paid services????
Mood:  surprised
Topic: HTML Questions
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! If you pay for hosting your CGI scripts will no longer work????

example this url will work:
www.angelfire.com/al4/somename/cgi-bin/example.cgi

example of paid hosting free domain won't work
www.domain.com/cgi-bin/example.cgi

Posted by Daymon at 4:38 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (11) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 14 February 2006 - 4:43 PM EST

Name: al4/cheapest-service

anyone know a work around for this?

Tuesday, 14 February 2006 - 5:22 PM EST

Name: cw

workaround? I'm not even sure there's a problem. Seeing the actual live code would be more help in figuring out exactly what's going on.

It may just be the way the poster wrote the file path to cgi. Or might even be a domain name forwarding frame interfering or even the way a domain name is set up, especially if from a non lycos domain registrar that places those types of forwarding frames.

Tuesday, 14 February 2006 - 5:48 PM EST

here are the real URL's

https://www.angelfire.com/al4/cheapest-service/cgi-bin/example.cgi

http://www.cheapest-service.com/cgi-bin/example.cgi

Both point to the same place, the later is an angelfire elemnts domain but wont go to anything at all located insibned the cgi bin.

Tuesday, 14 February 2006 - 10:32 PM EST

Name: dalleh

to link to that page using

cgi-bin/example.cgi

and not the full url might works

Tuesday, 14 February 2006 - 10:44 PM EST

nope, that didn't work. I think it has something to do with /usr/local/perl

Wednesday, 15 February 2006 - 12:52 AM EST

Name: md/jdfaq

it is the same, I think it is how to get to that page, is the html page built with cgi script,

Wednesday, 15 February 2006 - 8:39 AM EST

Name: cw

The path to cgi wasn't what I had in mind when asking for the URL. It would help to see a page where the path to cgi is being used and in which it doesn't work form your domain name. Can you post the URL of a page that utilizes the cgi bin? I didn't see it on any of the few pages I looked at.

Wednesday, 15 February 2006 - 11:04 AM EST

Ok, I have made this page as an example. It includes the CGI script and perl module used for the script in txt format. It also shows the html and explains what it is I am having trouble with in more detail. https://www.angelfire.com/al4/cheapest-service/cgi-bin/example.cgi

Wednesday, 15 February 2006 - 1:17 PM EST

Name: Mike

It's a known bug, or at least was to the engineering team, when I brought it up this morning.

They've found a fix, and are working on implementing it now. Hopefully it get done in the next few days, but that is in no way a promise.

I will do what I can to expedite it, as there's been a few questions pertaining to it today.

Mike
Customer Support - Angelfire/Tripod

Wednesday, 15 February 2006 - 2:05 PM EST

That would be excellent Mike, as well as an extremely valuable resource for those considering a paid hosting account. We cannot use PHP or ASP but if CGI is available I'll be a very happy customer :)

Friday, 17 February 2006 - 11:49 AM EST

Any idea when this bug will be fixed?

View Latest Entries