Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Saturday, 11 February 2006
Whew! Thank God For This Blog Page!
Mood:  happy
Ok, I think I have most of my problems worked out now! I am very happy with the way my site is looking and responding (thanks to cw and mamagoo). But, just as a test, I would like anyone to check it out and tell me if it, or parts of it, are not working right in their specific browser. I know that the background music doesn't work in Firefox, but that's not a big deal to me. Once again, thanks for all the help.

P.S. If there are any new angelfire.com users that want to ask questions but are afraid, don't be. These people are great!

Posted by blog/donspage.com at 3:16 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (4) | Permalink | Share This Post

Saturday, 11 February 2006 - 6:34 PM EST

Name: cw

Jeez don- you're forging ahead by leaps and bounds! :). I checked in 2 browsers, and three resolutions. Grammy's pic is a little wide for all but the largest resolution I viewed in (1280 x 960). Right side overlaps some of Austyn's background image. At least 3 ways or approaches to adapt it to smaller resolutions....

1. change the table width from 90% to 100%. This will make the table wider so may give that central image more breathing room.

2. decrease the grammy pic to 330 pixels wide like the widest of the others. Generally- manipulating the html height and width in the img src tag is not the way to do it. It's a cheat that can cost load time but it was easier than resizing the images in an image editor and uploading all back to a web account. That's why I just hot linked to yours a couple of days ago. Point here- if you resize via the img src tag it must be done proportionately height to width or the image will distort. Since I can see grammy's pic is the same dimensions as the other larger pics you uploaded and I resized via html to 330px wide, I know grammy needs to also be 248 pixels in height like the others. so change img src to height="248" width="330"

3. stretch pixel gif a little wider to make the cell it's in wider, too. That will give more space between the far left and far right table columns. To add enough width you'd have to add at least another 160 pixels (grammy is 80 pixels wider than the widest of the other pics and you need to add an equivalent space to the other side too or the table will not look centered over your background. That's going to mean a page somewhere in the neighborhood of around 1000px wide and getting a little close for comfort for viewing in 1024 x 768 resolution without the need for L/R scrolling.

You're probaly going to have to play around with all 3 options and find some combo of them that works if you want viewing for smaller resolutions like 1024x768 without horizontal scrolling.

Hint- Make a copy of your page file from the web shell and play with the copy. Then you can really mess with things and not have to worry about destroying your present page. And you always have a good file to copy again for further playing should you need to trash the other copy.

if you want to use your simple base URL attached to your username (blog/donspage.com) then create a home page called index.htm (you can use the index.htm as long as you don't also have an index.html. You want one of them not both ibn the same directory. index.html/index.htm are defaults served when no one specifies a specific page to view at your site.

The way I learned a lot of what i know now was through these help boards- by lurking and seeing if I could figure out how to fix a problem someone else posted. Can't beat getting your hands dirty :). Also, everyone is welcome and encouraged to answer any and all posts here no matter what your level of experience. Learn by doing, and each, one teach one, gets you lots of hands on experience. HTML is a hobby to me, I am not a web designer by any means. But this hobby has brought lots of pleasure to me as it can and does to many others. Participating on these boards in any capacity can be very beneficial. Please hang around and answer anything you feel you want to. And yes, no one should feel afraid to ask questions.

PS- a good css learning tool is the blogs and their advanced customization templates. You can pick them apart and change styles and layouts and see what happens when you do whatever you did via "preview". The stylesheet itself (treated as an external stylesheet for the blogs) is kept at the styles.btpl template.

When playing with color changes I like to practice with css colornames which I find easier to work with than color hex codes though less customizable. Do a google search of 'css colornames'- that should bring up a page or two that lists the 100 or so css colornames. You can probably see where i used them a few places in your code such as the table cell background color I think I wrote in as the colorname "white".

Saturday, 11 February 2006 - 8:10 PM EST

Name: Don

Glad to hear! As bad as I wanted to, I didn't copy and paste from your work to add images. LOL I made myself write it out to get the feel. Then, I toyed around a little (already knew about using the page source to really jack things around)and found out exactly what everything does and what it affects, and then it was off to the races! I didn't worry too much about g-ma's image because she was on her way over and I just threw it in so that she could see it. But I should have that fixed by tomorrow. Tonight, I am going to the bar and let my brain stop swelling!!! Even though it doesn't look like much now, I was just learning, so it took quite an effort (and a lot of help from you) to get where I'm at. I'm going to take some of the tutorials in the W3school.com webpage and try to start learning Javascript and a few others. Like you, I am making this more of a hobby, but I do want to go to school for it. Well, thanks for your opinions and your help.

Saturday, 11 February 2006 - 9:39 PM EST

Name: cw

Hi don, speaking from experience here... I am a Grammy... Grammies like to look thin :)

Sunday, 12 February 2006 - 1:59 PM EST

Name: blog/donspage.com

LOL!!!!!

View Latest Entries