Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

Newer | Latest | Older

Monday, 24 September 2007
nevada jim
Mood:  d'oh
I'm getting a message on web shell that my directory has been removed by HIPS FW. What is this?

Posted by nc3/deptnc at 9:43 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 21 September 2007
is there a page?
Mood:  not sure

I thought I saw a page within Angelfire a week or so ago that listed blogs and most recent posts, etc.. I guess it was a bloglines sort of thing but for angelfire. I can't find it again though so could someone help me out?

Thanks!

Sallie

https://www.angelfire.com/sc/anderklan/blahblahblog

Posted by Sallie M. Anderson at 7:54 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 19 September 2007
Thanks much and picture problem
Mood:  a-ok
Topic: HTML Questions

Thanks so much... The turtle link I spoke of is working now. I don't know what happened--I didn't touch it--but it was down for awhile but is fine now. And thanks for noticing my meta tags. That fixed another problem I was having before I asked about it!  No idea how the ?lpt;<...>? got there as I simply copied and pasted the tags, but...There they were.

Now I've got one more thing...On my home page I have a picture of a zebra... That shows up fine on a desktop computer, but when a friend tried to view it on her sidekick she said she only saw the box where the pic was supposed to be and the label about the Quagga that I had under it--there was no pic of a zebra there. She said she had never seen anything like that before because her sidekick usually shows web pages and pictures just fine. So I was wondering if this is normal because it's a cell phone with a tiny screen or if there's some adjustment I need to make so the pic will show up on all computers?

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 11:52 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 17 September 2007
What's going on with my site???!
Mood:  irritated

It seems like my links have suddenly stopped working. For example, when I go to my home page and then click on the Turtle care, advice, resources, & psychology link (exact wording?), I get the angel fire 404 error. I know it is linked to correctly, the file is still there, and it was working fine up to today. What happened? I have not changed that part of my index.html file...

Also I added the "My contact info" link to a couple other pages (the turtle care page which is currently down and the books page) and I think they're properly linked to, but not sure as they aren't working either...

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 10:41 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 10 September 2007
where is html gear on angelfire
Mood:  not sure

i belive this was changed last week but under build wasn't there's a link to html gear? i did notice something new pathfinder

anyways if  html gear have moved can you tell me where it is   so i don't have to type html gear in order to log in

Posted by wrestling3/jman_22 at 1:00 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 3 September 2007
background
I just have a question about how to put a background image on my page. I can't get the background image to show up on the page. I did what the how to said what to do, but it won't work. It won't show up on the page.

Posted by carfreakphyco at 7:37 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 24 August 2007
Blog Comments Posting Problem

I created a blog today to attach to my website. After making the first post, I tried to post a comment in the comments section, just to test that feature and make sure it was working. But nothing I click on in the Comments box will do anything. When I click on the Comments link, the box does come up on the screen, and the comment can be entered into the box.  But clicking on either the "Preview" or "Submit" button does nothing. The comment can't be previewed or posted. Only the Cancel button works (the comment box goes away).

I tried testing the Comments function both logged in and not logged in (I want non-Angelfire members to be able to post comments), but neither worked.

Does anybody know what might cause this kind of problem?

(I tried to edit the post to note that the comment section isn't working yet, but the site then eliminated the whole post.)

Blog - https://www.angelfire.com/planet/zerofret/annesblog/
Website - https://www.angelfire.com/planet/zerofret/

Anne

Posted by planet/zerofret at 7:20 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 19 August 2007
linking to files in a different folder
Mood:  lazy
I know the basics of linking to a file, but got stuck on this one...I keep missing little things *wink* Anyway, I have a sounds subfolder and a books subfolder in my main turtlestruebiz folder. I want to have a file inside my books subfolder link to a file inside my sounds subfolder..... I know how to link to a file in a subfolder inside the folder the file is in, but how do I make the link go up one level? For example, instead of going from turtlestruebiz to books (in which case I'd link to it as books/file.html) I need to go from books to turtlestruebiz and over to a different subfolder. How would I write that?

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 11:21 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Background sounds
Mood:  energetic

Allright, I've uploaded all my sound files into their own "sounds" folder as .wav files. I pasted the code

<EMBED SRC="tune.mid" HIDDEN="True" loop="1">
<BGSOUND SRC="tune.mid" loop="1">

into my webpage as instructed, and it's working, but it isn't exactly what I want. Apparently this is code for background music, but as background music can drown out the sound of a screen reader reading my web page to blind people, I would never use this on my site. What I want is for a short clip of sound to play once or twice as the page loads. For example, I have a picture of a Quagga zebra on my home page. I want people visiting my home page to hear the sound of a zebra's whinny once or twice, and then it'd be silent. Can I do that?

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 7:51 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 18 August 2007
Changing title, load sounds, & making a site discoverable
Mood:  hungry
Hi again, I've got 3 questions here. First, I've been trying to change the title at the top of my main page a little, but it isn't showing up? Why is that? Can I not change the title once I choose one? I'm using the advanced editor on that page. Secondly, can I have it play a sound when you load the page? I'm sure it is possible but don't know the code to add a sound file... Probably pretty similar to adding an image... I've also been wanting to add a border from grsites, but they really don't describe their things much and I can't see the preview, so I've given up on that as I don't know which ones I want. Anyway, the third question is, how do I know my mom isn't the only person reading my site? How do I know it's discoverable...Can I add keywords to it or something so it'll come up on Google? I'm finally ready for the public to see it. Oh, and I almost forgot, at the bottom of my index page I have a contact me link...Is there a quick way to add that to all my pages, or do I have to link to that file by hand on every page?

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 9:21 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (5) | Permalink | Share This Post
cannot log into html gear
Mood:  sad

i don't know what's the matter but today i cannot get into my html gear

the poll isn't showing up on my site either

i see this  internal server error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@htmlgear.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

can somebody please fixed this problem also i cannot access to my guestbook either everything was working fine yesterday afternoon

Posted by wrestling3/jman_22 at 11:12 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 17 August 2007
Photos not showing
Mood:  don't ask

I have added a photo page to my site and have posted three photos there. When I preveiw the page, all is fine. When I actually go to the site, I can't see the pictures. I have another picture on another page that is showing just fine. Any suggestions

Posted by s-brown at 12:06 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 15 August 2007
Almost got it! Label image; save background from document
Mood:  celebratory
Allright! Thanks for that webmonkey link--that is a great resource! I feel like I'm learning a new language, only it's a bit quicker than that <smile>...I've got my pages layout just as I want it...But I got 2 kinks still left over that webmonkey didn't really answer, or else I missed it.......   For example, I have that picture of a Quagga zebra on my home page and I added a label to it. I assumed you just typed the label after the <> with the image code in it, and it worked--the label is there--but it's in the wrong place. I wanted the image centered (which I am told it is) and the label centered right at the bottom of the image, right below that square (and I am told it's on the right--as I can't see I don't know this for sure, though). So how do I put the label where I want it, or is it already there? And the second kink is the fancy background.... I think this is the third time I brought this up--maybe no one really knows the answer and I should stick with the plain black background I have on most of my pages (I know how to do that...), but on my books pages (My books, Dreampony Series, Pony no. 3: The pair, for example) I originally had them in a Word document with a fancy background which I want to keep (not really an image, just  fancy shading and borders...). But when I used Word to convert it into a webpage document, it put a new paragraph thing at the end of each line and messed up the formatting! Someone said I should  just copy and paste the text into notepad and type up the code myself, but as I don't exactly know the color schemes in the background since I can't see it I can't code it and if I copy and paste I would lose that... Any ideas? At the very least, would you be willing to look at the source of these pages and tell me what code I can delete? I mean, some people tell me Word has a way of adding alot of unnecessary code, so deleting it would reduce the file size and save space...But as I'm not very experienced yet, I don't know what parts are deletable. I do know how to change the line breaks though, so don't worry about the format part. Still nothing? Then I guess I ought to be satisfied with the plain black background--just let me know. Thanks!

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 11:59 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
No customer service
Now Playing: No response from support tickets
On July 16 my credit card was charged the monthly fee for my website at www.angelfire.com/mn/nn. On July 28, my credit card was charged an additional $2 by Lycos and my paid website was changed to free status the same day, with 20meg storage and their popup ads. My Amazon.com commissions since August 1st are ZERO!!! No reply YET to any of my support tickets. The Lycos phone number listed on my credit card statement for July goes to a recording that says Lycos Customer Service doesn't accept phone calls. My website still shows as free as of today with no explanation or even response of any kind from Angelfire or Lycos. If you have a free site and are thinking of upgrading to a paid site at Angelfire or Tripod, think again. /mn/nn/ has been my site at Angelfire since 1999 and had been a paid site since February, 2002. It will be interesting to see if my credit card is charged the monthly charge on August 16. Where is everybody in Customer Service? Why don't they ever reply to support tickets? I am paying for a paid site that shows as free!!!

Posted by mn/nn at 2:53 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
advanced mode; preserving backgrounds
Mood:  quizzical
Someone recommended that I switch to advanced mode in order to add "sub"titles to my groups of link lists... I must say though that honestly I'm a bit afraid of the advanced mode. I don't know how to add a main image to it...And I am picky about my colors. I'm building my site so it will be easy for a visually-impaired person to see, so I have specific background, text, visited link, etc colors. And I like having one main picture on each page. I don't know all that code... Is there another way? I'm also wondering if I can save backgrounds from documents. For example, I have a poem in a Word document and it has a background and everything the way I want it. But when I saved it to html format, it showed a blank line between each line and that's not how I want it to be. Someone suggested that I just put the text to a notepad file, but then I wouldn't have the background, would I? And I'd like to add a label to the main picture...For example, I'd like to put the words "Quagga zebra, now extinct" just under the picture of a zebra on my homepage. That way blind people would know what the picture is, and people would know this is not a striped horse... Would someone be willing to guide me through the advanced mode? I have a very limited knowledge of code.

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 12:08 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 14 August 2007

What's the HTML code for titles? Not the first title at the top of the webpage, but the subsequent titles for lists of links? For example, see my turtles page. I got all the links showing just fine, but I wanted one group to be titled habitats & housing and another to be titled day-to-day care... I thought I put <title> Habitats & housing </title> to do that, but they're not showing up so I assume I am wrong?

Posted by turtlestruebiz at 4:55 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 13 August 2007
Terrible Customer Service

I am very upset by Angelfire's unwillingness to answer my support tickets. I contacted them regarding changing my DNS information a week ago, and they still have yet to get back with me. Their "live chat" has yet to be on in the 4 years I've been with Angelfire.  They list no phone number to call. So you just put in a support ticket and hope and pray that someone gets back to you, which hasn't happened yet.

I am writing here in the hopes that *someone* who works for Angelfire will see this and help me.  My support ticket reference number is 7168-AFZX-3496.

Bethany Crites  (poetry/lagosseperdue)

Posted by Bethie at 9:27 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Monday, 13 August 2007 9:30 PM EDT
Sunday, 12 August 2007
Where, oh where did my Web listing go?
My site used to come up within 3 entries if I typed my name.  Now it is nowhere to be found.  Does anyone know why?

Posted by ca2/YvonneDiamond at 12:34 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 11 August 2007
Support Tickets unanswered
Mood:  caffeinated

You know what I think is the problem? These Lycos outfits have been online since at least 1995 and they're trying to get by relying too much on automated programs and not enough actual people. In other words, their employees are overworked and underpaid (Ha! let's see them disagree with That). At the very least, they need to switch to a 3rd-party billing software with it's own, non-Lycos customer service department when something goes wrong.

Bill Laidlaw, angelfire.com/mn/nn/index.html

Posted by mn/nn at 2:18 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
HTML Guest Gear Error

My two HTML Guest Gear guestbooks seemed to have disappeared.

I am getting the following error message:

" We're sorry, we can't find the Guestbook with this membername and id.

Anybody else having this problem ?

Posted by me2/kulacoco at 2:02 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older