Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 7 June 2005
Angelfire Toolbar / Performance Improvements / Other Updates
Topic: News
Today, the Angelfire Team has launched a new toolbar feature on all free member pages. This toolbar replaces the search box and text links which were previously placed around the top ad. On most browsers, the space requirements for the bar is almost exactly the same as for the old text links-- we have been careful not to take up more space and "push down" member content with this change. The new bar includes two completely new features: a "share" feature that lets email pages to friends and a "Top100" list of member sites that we happened to like at the time. (This is a new feature and the criteria for inclusion hasn't been strictly defined yet. There are also more than 100 pages in the list. I'd like to move that to list pages which are well done and frequently updated, but that is still a work in progress.) The bar also includes links to the member directory, a link to report abuse, and an "edit" button so you can go right from your page to the builders if you are logged in.

I'm also happy to say that site performance has increased significantly in the last two weeks, but there is still room for improvement. Although the speed at which Angelfire responds to page requests has not changed, we have however made downloading files faster. We also have about 30% more server capacity coming on line soon and that will also improve things.

We will also be tightening our "remote loading" restrictions somewhat in upcoming weeks. Free users that use Angelfire solely to host files for other websites may find that ceasing to work. (They may also have their accounts removed.) However, we will be making more lenient other restrictions (such as with image search engines) to make things better for real Angelfire members. If you are just using AF to host your files, please consider creating a webpage or two or upgrading to any paid account.

Also: last week's issue reported here with Angelfire members sending email to AOL has been largely resolved. We have been advised that users that send a lot of mail to AOL may still be blocked, but the situation has been corrected for most.

If anyone sees any problems with the new release, please respond in this thread and the team will work to fix them. We are aware of problems currently with some small number of bottom ads in the rotation on some sites which can cause pages not to display properly for some users. (Other users will simply not see a bottom ad, but I don't think anyone will complain about that...) The team is looking at these problems.

This is a longer update than I had expected. I'll try and keep it shorter next time. :)

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 7:35 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 7 June 2005 - 8:09 PM EDT

Name: indie/what1

RE: "However, we will be making more lenient other restrictions (such as with image search engines)"

Comment: That is excellent news!
If I may make a small suggestion on the new toolbar:

It is very nice...but maybe, the Angelfire Logo should
remain on the left side of the toolbar, so as to be
viewed by those with smaller screen resolutions...

Just a thought :)

Tuesday, 7 June 2005 - 9:58 PM EDT

Name: jrp34

The logo was put on the right deliberately. We decided that we'd rather have a search box (useful feature) instead of a logo (vanity) if members have small screens.

Actually, we ran with it both ways on Tripod and solicited comments. The logo-on-right version seems to be preferred.

JP

Wednesday, 8 June 2005 - 10:23 AM EDT

A change is nice, sometimes.

I guess that I am used to the logo on the left.
BTW, I administer a couple of HTML Gear Guestooks,
and the Tripod logo is on the left and the search box is on the right...although, that is not the same toolbar style...

Sooner or later the old Logo will creep back to the left.

Just my humble opinion of course :)

Wednesday, 8 June 2005 - 10:59 AM EDT

Name: ma3/jpranevich

I'm sure it will. Everything changes.

The Html Gear toolbar is *old* and not related much to the Tripod one. We added a search box and that's it. I doubt we'll restyle it, unless we decide to make Gear look more like Tripod in general.

JP

Wednesday, 8 June 2005 - 12:00 PM EDT

Those who have experienced the advantages of
the HTML Gear Guestbook; namely, the option of
'editing postings' and other advantages, will
appreciate the work the Lycos team is doing.

Tom
===

Sunday, 12 June 2005 - 1:13 PM EDT

Name: az3/goladyjags

The AOL problem still exists when replying to emails that have a number of recipients. However, I've learned that if I pull those names off the recipient list, copy and paste the message, and send it to the AOL users individually, the emails generally go through. Hope this is helpful to anyone else having this problem.

View Latest Entries