Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

Newer | Latest | Older

Friday, 29 April 2005
Take a walk down memory lane...
This really brings back some memories (for me, but probably not for you). Here, thanks to archive.org, we have Angelfire's old "History of Angelfire" site. It's so terribly out of date now, but still a good read.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010208102520/angelfire.lycos.com/doc/history/index.html

Marvel at our stylish black Lycos headerbar! Gasp at our overuse of blue! Be amazed that we haven't changed the logo very much recently!

The old AF staff pages:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010331084018/angelfire.lycos.com/doc/about.html

The thing that surprises me looking at this stuff is the tongue-in-cheek style we did a lot of the stuff in... I wonder if we should be injecting more personality into the site these days. Amazingly, legos are still involved. (But the giant Power Puff Girl has now been replaced by a stuffed giraffe named Raffi. He was willing to work for minimum wage.)

I hope you enjoy those links. We might update and repost some of this stuff eventually.

What do you think?

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 12:15 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (12) | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 28 April 2005

Topic: FrontPage
hey guys i need help with the link to my gallery and stuuf. when i put in the url at the editor and then click on the link on my page, there is a message that says the site cant be found

Posted by anime6/unistar at 10:45 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Wednesday, 27 April 2005
Sudden problem running perl script
Mood:  quizzical
Topic: HTML Questions
I have a script that I have been running for a few months now on from my website to assist me in conducting a survey. The script is written in perl and I upgraded my Angelfire account to Neon so that I could run it. (Basic free accounts can't run homegrown CGI scripts.) All of a sudden, it's returning a "File Not Found - 404 message - errorcode 400" but if I change the name of the file from .pl to .pm or even .PL (and change the corresponding call on my index.html), it displays the text so I know it's finding the file. The script was working up until a week or two ago! Has anyone else suddenly lost the ability to run perl from their website?

Posted by folk/timhadfield at 6:18 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Angelfire Update
Topic: News
The Angelfire Team has completed the maintenance today which includes a number of new features:

1. Angelfire Blogs has been updated to be more responsive and to fix several known bugs. It's a big under-the-hood overhaul so there may yet be some bugs to shake out but it looks good so far.

2. Angelfire Photo Albums has been given a major update. We now support "advanced customization" similar to with the Blogs tool. In addition, you can now enable commenting on your images with the same level of comment moderation as is supported on Blogs.

3. New members to Angelfire will now go through a slightly different flow which ends with allowing them to select what build tool to use.

4. Microsoft FrontPage extensions are now enabled by default for all new accounts. Existing members will still have to activate on their "My Account" page.

5. The backend for the old Angelfire counter has been updated to now spit out PNG images.

6. Various other internal updates.

If you see any problems on the site today, please respond in this thread. We really appreciate the time that members take to look over our new features and try to break them since it makes for a better product overall. I'll make sure that any comments in this thread get handed off to the appropiate people.

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 2:56 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 26 April 2005
Maintenance Today
Topic: News
Today, the Angelfire Team will be performing maintenance on the site, in order to improve blogs performance and to also add new features. During this maintenance, users will be unable to post comments or new entries on blogs for approximately 30 minutes. We apologize for this inconvenience as we move the blogs onto the new backend system.

I'll make a larger post later on this afternoon with information about the changes. If anyone is willing to help test (basicially, just use all the features of the site and let us know if you find any problems), that is always appreciated.

As always, if you see any problems please respond in this thread.

UPDATE: The maintenance has been moved to Wednesday morning. We will make a followup post when it is completed.

Posted by blog/jrp34 at 8:54 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Wednesday, 27 April 2005 11:13 AM EDT
Monday, 25 April 2005
Web shell is a blank frame
Mood:  irritated
I am a mac user and when I try to use the web shell, the page loads, but the main frame is all white. Text, links, buttons... everything is white. The mouse changes when I move over links, but I can't see anything. The older web shell never had this problem. I sent requests several times, but no response. Any clues? Bench

Posted by mb2/mbench at 10:02 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Links don't work
Mood:  not sure
I have an angelfire free website and I cannot add links to my favorite sites to share with others. A search not found page shows up instead of the intended website. What do I do to correct this.

Posted by magic2/rosemarysage at 1:23 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Front page extensions not acceptable, can't edit
Mood:  crushed out
Topic: FrontPage
I followed the instructions to make editing my site possible with FrontPage 2000, but when I try to "publish to web" I am told I have to get permission from my page provider to use FrontPage extensions. I then run the activate Front Page editing protocol and get the same message again. What am I getting wrong?
tv2/videoheads

Posted by tv2/videoheads at 9:24 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 24 April 2005
Browser Scroll
HI

I copy and pasted a browser scroll script from lycos and it worked fine for a few days. It has come upon 2 days that it has not worked. I did not modify it after I added it on my site. I don't know why it will no longer work. Is anyone having difficulty with your scroll browsing. It is not working on my puter right now. But if someone could take a look and let me know whether or not it does for you. If anyone can give me a solution please send it my way.

Thank you

Website URL: www.theciminis.com

Posted by pa5/darlyn at 12:59 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 23 April 2005
MUSIC HOSTING
Now Playing: THE USED
How can I upload a music file than be able to host it on my page? PLEASE HELP ME>>>>

Posted by indie/mcrgirl182 at 2:55 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Friday, 22 April 2005
Video Help
I would highly appreciate if anybody could help me, i want to post a video of mine on to my page but do not no how. COuld anyone advise me on how to get a video on to my page?

Posted by pro2/brianariotti at 3:19 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post

Mood:  party time!
Now Playing: Greenday....American Idiot
I need help with some things on my site.

Posted by goth2/ghettoj at 1:51 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Script for IP Viewing For My Visitors
Mood:  a-ok
Just thought to join an angelfire community to get new ideas for my home website. If anyone is interested check it out at www.theciminis.com . It is my family website for friends and family living far away from me and to update them of my life away from them. Seems to help me deal with homesickness and such. I am really happy with the results of my website.

Does anyone know of any scripts (preferrable cut and paste) of viewers seeing their ip address when they first log onto the website? I think it is pretty cool. I would imagine it would be some sort of CGI. Thank you.

Posted by pa5/darlyn at 10:21 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Updated: Friday, 22 April 2005 4:07 PM EDT

hello guys.
i recently made my own kite site. is there anyway i can promote my website for free or make it appear on search engines?

chester ogsimer
https://www.angelfire.com/co4/chester_ogsimer
"The Aerial Stylings of Chester Ogsimer"

Posted by co4/chester_ogsimer at 2:32 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (3) | Permalink | Share This Post
Tuesday, 19 April 2005
Blog for my web
Mood:  lazy
How can i create a blog section on my web page without changing my web page format? i used ms frontpage and would like to add the blog on a new page. Plz advise. thx

Posted by theforce/hyperdog7 at 11:02 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 18 April 2005
Disable File Sharing
I have Argon and can't find a way to disable file sharing to prevent anyone from "hot linking" to my images. Live help seems to be too busy today, I never received an answer. Any help?

Thanks,
Al-J

Posted by journal2/eajones at 8:42 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Moving the ads at the bottom?
Hi, I'd like to know if it is possible to put angelfire's ads at the bottom of my web page?

Posted by linux/pureknight at 12:57 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (1) | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 17 April 2005
Pastor Bill
Mood:  happy
I have started another web site and I can not find where I can increase the Text block size the old one had a page where we chose the size, is this possible with the new set ups or did they dicontinue this on the new free web sites ? The new one is to narrow and to widen it would help when I edit.

Posted by mo/greendragon1 at 6:36 PM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 16 April 2005
how to put music
Mood:  not sure
can anyone tell me how to put music inot my blog?? i have uploaded my file but how do i create the html of it??? >.<

-help me

Posted by falcon2/musicotinkles at 4:07 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post
uploading completed folder w/files
Mood:  lyrical
Now Playing: "lyrical" is the nice word for sobbing and cussing....
Topic: Image Questions
mayday! mayday! i have a folder with 26 files which i created on notepad. it is ALL DONE, does not need editing or anything but to get published (school assignment!)......i can't find anything telling me how to simply upload a finished product! my links are all set up, images all referenced and inserted - i just need to get it online! can anyone help me?
please? i have pulled out all my hair, thrown every book in the house, and the cats won't come out from under the bed. i would prefer some help here to therapy.

namaste,
lin

Posted by magic2/linfl at 2:06 AM EDT | Post Comment | View Comments (2) | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older