Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Tuesday, 10 January 2006
Link Bars won't FTP correctly?
Mood:  not sure
Topic: FrontPage
I added link bars to my site (on a left shared border), as I am adding more pages, and want navigation to be easy for people. For many of the styles that I choose for link bars, I cannot ftp them. I get a message that"

The following pages in your web site contain link bars or navigation bars that use new formatting options. They will not display properly because the server your are publishing to does not support these features.

How can I get link bar styles that will work with angelfire?

Thanks!

Posted by ny4/Cazenovia1996 at 12:57 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post

Tuesday, 10 January 2006 - 1:54 PM EST

Name: cw

It sounds like you may be using FP to build your site. If so, do not upload through FTP. FTP may cause some necessary files used by FP to be missed on uploading. Use FP(FrontPage) to publish but first make sure your AF account is FP enabled. Also make sure you are working from an open FP web. Do not open individual page files on your pc to edit them. Open an FP web first so the file paths to objects used on your site can be correctly written.

Tuesday, 10 January 2006 - 2:03 PM EST

Name: Courtney
Home Page: https://www.angelfire.com/ny4/Cazenovia1996

Thank you for responding. I am using FrontPage to build my site, and I have been publishing the site using Frontpage for a long time. The FTP part is not the problem. It is the style of the Link bars.

Only if I choose a really plain one, can I get the site to use it.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone seen this problem before, where the link bars do not upload to Angelfire, because of the version of extensions that angefire supports?

I am working with FrontPage 2002.

Tuesday, 10 January 2006 - 2:32 PM EST

Name: cw
Home Page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP01037773

next thought.... could you possibly be using vml graphics? This is a format that I've seen used in MS generated html before. If so, those are not well supported by browsers other than newer versions of IE. See link above to turn them on or off.

Next question- what are the names of the files you are trying to upload? If images, do they end in an extension like .jpg, .gif, or .png. Those are universal web image formats and the only formats you should be using for images posted to the web.

If all else fails, find your own images to use as link bars and insert them- after importing them into your open FP web first.

Tuesday, 10 January 2006 - 2:50 PM EST

Name: Courtney

I was using Frontpage's theme navigation bars. So the format would be it's. I did do the alternative, as you suggested. I made individual buttons and made them hyperlinks. I guess I will see how they turn out.

Thanks!

Wednesday, 11 January 2006 - 10:53 AM EST

Name: dalleh

adding on what cw said about the names, make sure there are no empty spaces in the files names, like button one.gif it has to be like this button_one.gif

Tuesday, 27 June 2006 - 1:34 AM EDT

Name: al4/cheapest-service

Try this tutorial. It's pretty simple and straight forward and will show you how to make navigational menus in pure CSS.

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/css/css-navigation-menu.shtml

View Latest Entries