Open Community
Post to this Blog

Helpful Links
Angelfire Home
Register Your Domain
Angelfire's Twitter
Angelfire's Facebook

Angelfire Club Blog
Need assistance and ideas from fellow Angelfire members to help build and manage your website? You've come to the right place!
To join this Community Blog, you must be an Angelfire member. Just click the "Join this Community" link, and start posting immediately.

Hint: When posting, select a topic that most relates to your question. (News, FrontPage, HTML Questions, etc...) This will help to keep the blog organized for everyone.

View Latest Entries

Saturday, 3 December 2005
FrontPage graphics help
Mood:  irritated
Topic: FrontPage
Hi there...I am kind of new to this web building thing. I am building my website in FrontPage. I have a graphic on the page. When I upload it into Angelfire and then view it, the graphic just shows up as a red x...how do I fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica

Posted by mech/jasonandjessicaery at 6:13 PM EST | Post Comment | View Comments (6) | Permalink | Share This Post

Saturday, 3 December 2005 - 7:00 PM EST

Name: cw

If you mean J&J.jpg it's because you named it with an illegal character- the &. When naming web files and folders stick to letters and numbers only. The only special characters allowed in web names are a period, hyphen and underscore. No spaces are allowed either though FP will allow you to do so and manage to upload your illegally named files.

Saturday, 3 December 2005 - 7:07 PM EST

Jessica- After vieweing your html I just wanted to mention something else you're doing that may not turn out as you intend. That is using odd fonts like English111 Vivace BT and Lucida Calligraphy. To see those fonts your visitors must have them installed on their pcs. If they don't have them then they see whatever font is set up as the default in their browsers.

You may have noticed the short list of fonts FP wants you to use. Those are the more common fonts that most people have. It is better to stick with them. If you want a special font it is better to use them for short titles and headers and turn therm into graphics in an image editor like MS Paint.

good luck!

Saturday, 3 December 2005 - 7:58 PM EST

Name: mech/jasonandjessicaery

Thanks for the help...I changed the file name to JJ and re-upload the file but it is still not showing up, nor is my hover button. HELP!!!

Saturday, 3 December 2005 - 8:28 PM EST

how did you reupload? I see the file path leading here:
https://www.angelfire.com/mech/Ideas/JJ.jpg

but it seems to me it should look more like this
https://www.angelfire.com/mech/jasonandjessicaery/Ideas/JJ.jpg

that's assuming the file is uploaded to your mech/jasonandjessicaery account and located inside a subdirectory called "Ideas" (with a capital I- letter case matters).

I don't use FP but most of these things work the same. Are you opening an FP web before editting pages? You should be or FP will have a hard tiome writing the proper paths to your files. And are you importing all images into FP before inserting them on a page? Again, you should be for the same reason.

Re your hover- I can't seem to locate the file called fphover.class that's needed for the hover to work. It's not where your code says it is at https://www.angelfire.com/mech/jasonandjessicaery/fphover.class.

Are you publishing the site through FP or some other way? You should only be publishing through FP or necessary files like that may not get uploaded or uploaded to the right place.

hang in there :)

Sunday, 4 December 2005 - 5:52 PM EST

Well I was able to get the picture worked out. I had to go in and edit some of the html. I can't figure out the hover though. I am publishing in FrontPage then uploading on angelfire.

Sunday, 4 December 2005 - 6:55 PM EST

GUESS WHAT....I actually figured it all out! I am so proud of myself. Thank you so much for your help...without your input I would have never figured it out!!!

View Latest Entries